• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battling Terms.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Credits:

Thanks list: mustbe18toryde, Anti, sims796.

Orginally posted by our posts merged: DD= Dragon Dance.

Wow= Will-o-Wisp.

Ou- Overused.

Bl- Borderline

Uu- Underused

Nu- Neverused

Legendaries The legendaries trio are these, (And regigagas due to his ability). as well as
    Celebi and Jirachi.

Moltres

Celebi
    Jirachi
    Regigagas
    Registeel
    Regice
    Regirock
    Articuno
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Suicune
    Raikou
    Shaymin
    Heatran
    Phione
    Rotom
    Uxie
    Mesprit
    Azelf.

Ubers sometimes mixed up with Legendaries, are pokemon that have amazingly excellent stats, and are therefore banned from competitive battling. Such as:
    Latios or Latias with soul dew.

Rayquaza.
    Mewtwo.
    Mew. Maybe Choice Scarf Heracross may be able to outspeed, and get a Stab'ed or Same type attack Bonus, Megahorn in.
    Arceus.
    Darkrai
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Deoxys, every form.
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Wobbafeut
    Manaphy, *sigh* I listened to aragornbird, I still have my doubts, Nameless.

Sd- Swords Dance

Cm- Calm Mimd

Hp- Hidden power, in which, has now become special no matter what type it happeneds to be.

Eq- Earthquake. I just thought it might be great to newbies, that they learn all these competitive terms. Oh right:

Sub- Substitute

Sr- Stealth Rock

Tauntdos- Gyarados with taunt in it's moveset, a Pokemon containing 4 moves obviosuly.

Specs Mence- Choice Specs Salamence.

Cmcune- Calm Mind Suicune.

Tanks- Pokemon who be defensive as well dish out some attacks of their own.

Annoyer- Ludicolo, simple as that, Edit: Leech Seed plus Rain Dance plus Dive equals a great annoyer. Edit: Umbreon makes a great annoyer, With access to the moves Toxic and Confuse Ray.

sp. Sweeper- A pokemon who has a great sp.atk and speed usually, and has a movepool of
    sp.attacks to choose from.

Physical Sweeper-, Same as above, except dishes out Physical attacks.

PhesudoHazer- Not to sure on this one, Yawn+Whirlwind, i'm assuming?

Walls- A pokemon who has a great defense, and can survive a few attacks, as well as usually stats infecting.

Sp. Wall same as above, except specializing in sp.def. A great one is spiritmomb, no weaknesses. As well as being able to stop Physical Sweeper in their tracks, with Wow or Will-o-wisp like I explained.

Bp'er, or Baton Passer, Passes stats effects to other pokemon. Such as: Agility, Substitute, etc.

Spiker, Skarmory does this well. Their role, is to Spike, then Roar/Whilwind them away.

Ev's- Effort Values, Must have at least 500, to stand any chance at competitive battling.

Iv's- Individual Values, Breeding influnces good iv's.

Skarmbliss- Mixed Sweepers should be able to ohko them, as this is a team made to consist of Skarm/Skarmory And blissey.
    Orginally posted by Anti: Tiers:
    OU- Overused-Standard pokemon in competitive play
    BL- Borderline-Banned from UU, and seen in OU/standard play, but not as much as standards
    UU- Underused-Pokemon that are uncommon in standard play, and they have their own metagame
    NU- Neverused-Pokemon very rarely seen in standard play, and usually have many flaws.

Difference between legendaries and ubers:
    Legendaries-The legendaries are these, (And regigagas due to his ability). as well as
    Celebi and Jirachi. They ARE allowed in standard play

Moltres
    Celebi
    Jirachi
    Regigagas
    Registeel
    Regice
    Regirock
    Articuno
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Suicune
    Raikou
    Shaymin
    Heatran
    Phione
    Uxie
    Mesprit
    Manaphy
    Azelf

Ubers sometimes mixed up with Legendaries, are pokemon that have amazingly excellent stats, and are therefore banned from competitive battling. Such as the lati@s with soul dew. They either have tremendous stat distibution, typing, and/or movepool.

Rayquaza.
    Mewtwo.
    Mew. Maybe Choice Scarf Heracross may be able to outspeed, and get a Stab'ed or Same type attack Bonus, Megahorn in.
    Arceus.
    Darkrai
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Deoxys, every form.
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Wobbafeut.
    Common terminology/nicknames for moves/pokemon/roles:

DD-Dragon Dance.
    WoW-Will-o-Wisp.
    SD-Swords Dance

CM- Calm Mimd

HP- Hidden power, in which, has now become special no matter what type it happeneds to be.

EQ- Earthquake

Sub-Substitute

SR-Stealth Rock

Tauntdos/Tauntrados-Gyarados with taunt and DD in it's moveset, a Pokemon containing 4 moves obviosuly.

SpecsMence-Choice Specs Salamence.

CMcune-Calm Mind Suicune.

Tanks-Pokemon who be defensive as well dish out some attacks of their own. An example would be Rhyperior.

Trapper: A pokemon that uses moves like fire spin, mean look, etc. to trap the foe.
    Curselax-the pokemon snorlax with the move "curse" in its moveset
    Zam-The pokemon alakazam
    DDmence-Salamence with DD and physical attacks
    (Tyrani)boah-a mixed, subpunching tyranitar
    CB-Choice Band

Annoyer-A pokemon that is annoying for the foe to KO, such as flinchax togekiss, because it is very hard to hit without flinching, thus making it an annoyer. Umbreon and ludicolo are other examples.

Special Sweeper- A pokemon who has a great sp.atk and speed usually, and has a movepool of
    sp.attacks to choose from. May have choice specs/scarf or a stat-up move like CM or Nasty Plot.

Physical Sweeper-, Same as above, except dishes out Physical attacks. May carry choice Band/scarf, and might have stat-up moves like Swords Dance.

Hazer/PHazer-Hazer-a pokemon that uses the move "haze" to eliminate stat changes, a PHazer being a pokemon who has roar/whirlwind, which has the same effect

Physical Wall- A pokemon who has a great defense, and can survive quite a few physical attacks, as well as usually stats infecting. Also often have a HP restoring move like rest.

Special Wall-Same as above, except specializing in sp. def. A great one is spiritmomb, no weaknesses. As well as being able to stop Physical Sweeper in their tracks, with Wow or Will-o-wisp like I explained. Also often carry moves like recover or rest.

BPer-Or Baton Passer, Passes stats effects to other pokemon. Such as: Agility, Substitute, mean look, etc.

Spiker-A pokemon that lays down toxic spikes, SR, or spikes, and ususally has good defense(s), like Skarmory. Many also carrie Roar or whirlwind.

Ev's- Effort Values, Must have at least 510, to stand any chance at competitive battling. There are guides about these, as they take too long to explain.

Iv's- Individual Values, check out the guides again, though this is easier to explain. IVs range from 0-31, and effect a pokemon's max stats accordingly. For example, 2 suicune with the same EVs, nature, and moveset could be far different in stats due to high or low IVs. While breeding, the father and mother influence the baby's IVs.
    Orginally by Sims edit to my post: DD= Dragon Dance.

Wow= Will-o-Wisp.

Ou- Overused.

Bl- Borderline

Uu- Underused

Nu- Neverused

Legendaries The legendaries trio are these, (And regigagas due to his ability). as well as
    Celebi and Jirachi.

Moltres

Celebi
    Jirachi
    Regigagas
    Registeel
    Regice
    Regirock
    Articuno
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Suicune
    Raikou
    Shaymin
    Heatran
    Phione
    Rotom
    Uxie
    Mesprit?
    Azelf

Ubers sometimes mixed up with Legendaries, are pokemon that have amazingly excellent stats, mixxed with an awesome movepool, typing, and sometimes great ability, and are therefore banned from competitive battling. Such as:

Rayquaza.
    Mewtwo.
    Arceus.
    Darkrai
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Deoxys, every form.
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Wobbufet
    Manaphy.

I just thought it might be great to newbies, that they learn all these competitive terms. Oh right:

Sd- Swords Dance

Cm- Calm Mimd

Hp- Hidden power, in which, has now become special no matter what type it happeneds to be.

Eq- Earthquake.

Sub- Substitute

Sr- Stealth Rock

Tauntdos- Gyarados with taunt in it's moveset, a Pokemon containing 4 moves obviosuly.

Tanks- Pokemon whose main purpose is to be defensive, as well dish out some attacks of their own.

Annoyer- Pokemon who's main goal is to annoy the opponent. They use moves such as Confuse Ray, Toxic, and Attract, etc. They are usually disruptive, yet aren't widely used in compeetitive play, due to it's unpredictability, and overall unreliability.

Sp. Sweeper- A pokemon who has a great sp.atk and speed usually, and has a movepool of
    sp.attacks to choose from. Their job is to hit hard and sweep through oppenents teams. Are usually low in defenses.

PhesudoHazer- These pokemon also disrupte. They use moves like Haze in order to cancel out stat changes. They can mess up potential sweepers, or walls setting up, such as Tauntdos. Also, they can use Moves like Whirlind/Roar. Whirlind/Roar automatically forces an opponent to switch, also cancelling out all stat changes, on top of Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes damage.

Walls- A pokemon who has a great defense, and whose main purpose is to survive attacks. Also known as Staller. They can block physical/sp.moves, and

Sp. Wall/Sponge- same as above, except specializing in sp.def.

Bp'er- or Baton Passer, Passes stats effects to other pokemon. Such as: Agility, Substitute, etc.

Spiker/Stealth Rocker- Skarmory does this well. Their role, is to Spike/SR, then Roar/Whilwind them away.

Ev's- Effort Values, Must have at least 510, to stand any chance at competitive battling.

I'd also like to add Agilitygross, and Curselax. (Thanks Anti).

**Curselax (Snorlax @:Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    Adamant/Careful Nature
    Curse
    Earthquake
    Rest
    Sleep Talk Restalk, nice.

**Agiltygross (Metagross) @:Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    Adamant Nature
    Agilty
    T-Punch or Thunderpunch
    Zen Headbutt
    Earthquake.

Thanks Anti, again.

**Scarfcross @:Choice Scarf
    Trait: Guts
    Adamant Nature
    Pursuit
    Close Combat
    Megahorn
    Stone Edge

Aa- Aerial Ace, really nt used in 4th gen, much.. In 3rd gen, it was pretty nice, but nowdays, they made it really inusable. I find it good on some Physical pokes, such as Salamence.

Ah, good old 3rd genaration.

**Mcicegar (Gengar).
    Trait: Levitate
    Timid Nature
    Ice Punch
    Hypnosis/Will-o-Wisp
    Substitute
    Focus Punch. Subpunching works nice, for Blissey purposes. A really good Subseeder, is thanks to Anti again btw,

Breloom @:Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    Jolly Nature
    Substitute
    Focus Punch
    Leech Seed
    Seed Bomb.

**Chainchomp (Garchomp).
    Trait: Sand Veil
    Adamant Nature
    Fire Blast
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge. Is the set? As I don't know much about "Chainchomp", i've just heard of it.

Sunnybeamer- Chorophyll pokemon only, as other grass (or any other type for that matter). Can't do it very well as Chorophyll's can do. They raise their speed by Sunny Daying, they getting an automatic solarbeam fire.

**Sunnybeamer (Tangrowth). @:Leftovers
    Trait: Chorophyll obviously
    Careful Nature
    Sunny Day
    Solar beam
    Sleep powder
    Leech Seed. Complete coolness.

Or,

Jumpluff @:Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    Jolly Nature
    Leech Seed
    Sleep powder
    Sunny Day
    Solarbeam. Best sunnybeamer, ever.

-thunderdancers A pokemon that uses Rain Dance and Thunder.

Lanturn @:Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Asorb
    Bold Nature/Modest Nature
    Rain Dance
    Thunder
    Thunder Wave/Agility
    Surf. Hey, who the heck is expecting this? XD.

Skarmbliss omg, everyone uses this. Ever heard of orginallity people?

-Skarmbliss A team that consits of Blissey, the popular and best sp.wall in competitive battling. And now Skarm, (Skarmory). Skarmory, is a pokemon who can take Physical hits very well. This, is the best counter for it:

Electrivire @:Leftovers
    Trait: Motor Drive
    Lonely Nature
    Thunderbolt (Skarm/Skarmory)
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Wave.

Added, Thanks to AD, is Infernape.

Infernape @:Leftovers?
    Trait: Blaze
    Hasty/Naive
    Close Combat or CC, for short.
    Flamethrower, for Skarm
    Stone Edge, but Taunt is an option.
    Thunder Punch/Grass Knot If you choose Stone Edge over Taunt, this is known as a mixed sweeper.

-Salamence@Choice Specs
    Timid
    252 Spd/252 Sp atk
    Draco Meteor
    Flamethrower
    Hydro Pump
    Dragon pulse. That's what's called, the popular, Specsmence. Best counter for it is:

DDDos/Tauntdos-

**DDDos @:Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    Adamant Nature
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Ice Fang
    Earthquake.

Part II: Counter to Ou's and such

Lucario, depends on wither it's special mixed, or physical.

**Spc. Lucario @:Choice Specs
    Trait: Steadfast
    Modest Nature
    Dragon Pulse
    Dark Pulse
    Calm Mind
    Aura Sphere

**Mixed Lucario @:Leftovers
    Lonely?
    Extremespeed
    Close Combat
    Dragon Pulse
    Dark Pulse

**Physical Lucario @:Leftovers
    Adamant Nature
    Close Combat
    Extremespeed
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch. Counters:

*Mixed* I hate to say it, but Skarmbliss is your only way.

*Physical* Dusknoir

*Special Blissey, So both bliss for mixed, and Special, nice.

Credits:

Thanks list: mustbe18toryde, Anti, sims796.
    [/SIZE]

Last edited:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    No offense, Itachi, but this isn't well written. Too many terms went unanswered. This should have been posted when you had full facts. And it's a bit too cluttered to read.

Annoyer:Ludicolo? That doesnt exactly tell me, as a newcomer, what an annoyer is. Why is he an annoyer? Or Better yet, what makes him an annoyer? I'm not new, of course, but as an example. Crobat makes an excelent annoyer.

And you have Manaphy ALL wrong. It has a great movepool. And its ability, Hydration, plus the fact that it can use Rain Dance+Rest, makes it invincible as a wall to all that are not uber.

I'm not trying to offend, of course, but this isn't too good.

Years
    Since when is Rotom Legendary? And isn't Manaphy uber? *confused* And Azelf ain't supposed to be defensive, it's a SpSweeper...

Edit: beaten by Sims976

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    No offense, Itachi, but this isn't well written. Too many terms went unanswered. This should have been posted when you had full facts. And it's a bit too cluttered to read.

Annoyer:Ludicolo? That doesnt exactly tell me, as a newcomer, what an annoyer is. Why is he an annoyer? Or Better yet, what makes him an annoyer? I'm not new, of course, but as an example. Crobat makes an excelent annoyer.

And you have Manaphy ALL wrong. It has a great movepool. And its ability, Hydration, plus the fact that it can use Rain Dance+Rest, makes it invincible as a wall to all that are not uber.

I'm not trying to offend, of course, but this isn't too good.

Thanks for the information, I guess...

sims796

Years
    Don't get me wrong; its a great idea, and made good. I give you credit for that. But it just isn't too well written. And the information is too shaky. Did you see the increase of poke rookies (I won't say n00bs) who come to this site confused? We can't afford to give them incomplete information.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Don't get me wrong; its a great idea, and made good. I give you credit for that. But it just isn't too well written. And the information is too shaky. Did you see the increase of poke rookies (I won't say n00bs) who come to this site confused? We can't afford to give them incomplete information.

K. I gave a link to Serebii.

sims796

Years
    Hmm. Still...Ludicolo can be taken out with one Megahorn. Not a great annoyer. Dive isn't so good, we can always switch out. Ending Leech Seed. I meant to describe what an annoyer is. I personally am a bit confused on the topic myself. I know its moves meant to annoy, like Mean Look, Toxic, and the all famous Confuse Ray.

This should make ya feel better:
    Battling Terms.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yes, while there is good information, it is a bit disorganized. I could help organize it a bit for you. EDIT: Oh yeah! That makes me lol every time...

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Hmm. Still...Ludicolo can be taken out with one Megahorn. Not a great annoyer. Dive isn't so good, we can always switch out. Ending Leech Seed. I meant to describe what an annoyer is. I personally am a bit confused on the topic myself. I know its moves meant to annoy, like Mean Look, Toxic, and the all famous Confuse Ray.
    This should make ya feel better:
    Battling Terms.

I edited my post, With Umbreon too now.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Alright. I'll copy and paste your guide onto a word file and organize it for you. I'll PM sims and he can work with the terms. Then you can finalize it. Sound good?

EDIT: Make sure you recommend CB blissey lol.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Anti-Pop Culture Warrior 13;2880201[B said:
    ]Alright. I'll copy and paste your guide onto a word file and organize it for you. I'll PM sims and he can work with the terms. Then you can finalize it. Sound good[/B]?

EDIT: Make sure you recommend CB blissey lol.

That sounds good. Thanks again.

sims796

Years
    Here are my changes. Waiting for Anti's imput:

DD= Dragon Dance.

Wow= Will-o-Wisp.

Ou- Overused.

Bl- Borderline

Uu- Underused

Nu- Neverused

Celebi and Jirachi.

Moltres

Celebi
    Jirachi
    Regigagas
    Registeel
    Regice
    Regirock
    Articuno
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Suicune
    Raikou
    Shaymin
    Heatran
    Phione
    Rotom
    Uxie
    Mesprit?
    Azelf

Ubers sometimes mixed up with Legendaries, are pokemon that have amazingly excellent stats, mixxed with an awesome movepool, typing, and sometimes great ability, and are therefore banned from competitive battling. Such as:

Rayquaza.
    Mewtwo.
    Arceus.
    Darkrai
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Deoxys, every form.
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Wobbufet
    Manaphy.

I just thought it might be great to newbies, that they learn all these competitive terms. Oh right:

Sd- Swords Dance

Cm- Calm Mimd

Eq- Earthquake.

Sub- Substitute

Sr- Stealth Rock

Tanks- Pokemon whose main purpose is to be defensive, as well dish out some attacks of their own.

Annoyer- Pokemon who's main goal is to annoy the opponent. They use moves such as Confuse Ray, Toxic, and Attract, etc. They are usually disruptive, yet aren't widely used in compeetitive play, due to it's unpredictability, and overall unreliability.

Sp. Sweeper- A pokemon who has a great sp.atk and speed usually, and has a movepool of
    sp.attacks to choose from. Their job is to hit hard and sweep through oppenents teams. Are usually low in defenses.

PhesudoHazer- These pokemon also disrupte. They use moves like Haze in order to cancel out stat changes. They can mess up potential sweepers, or walls setting up, such as Tauntdos. Also, they can use Moves like Whirlind/Roar. Whirlind/Roar automatically forces an opponent to switch, also cancelling out all stat changes, on top of Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes damage.

Walls- A pokemon who has a great defense, and whose main purpose is to survive attacks. Also known as Staller. They can block physical/sp.moves, and

Sp. Wall/Sponge- same as above, except specializing in sp.def.

Bp'er- or Baton Passer, Passes stats effects to other pokemon. Such as: Agility, Substitute, etc.

Spiker/Stealth Rocker- Skarmory does this well. Their role, is to Spike/SR, then Roar/Whilwind them away.

Ev's- Effort Values, Must have at least 510, to stand any chance at competitive battling.

Thanks list: mustbe18toryde.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I'm almost finished editting it out...but my notepad is acting up. I'll edit my post and put my changes on.

Back