• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Behind The (Potential) Names

How are you going to decide your player/rival name(s)?

• Total voters

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I pretty much figured out that I'm naming myself who I am in in real life, Shivi. As for my rival, I want to name him Paul so much because of his similarities with him, which I might end up doing.

As for the girl, I'm naming her Soul, if we can name the female's supporting role that is.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I don't understand why most peeps in this thread don't name the hero after themselves. :S

Obviously, I name the hero Conor [my name]. Gold or anything other doesn't feel right, unless it's a joke playthrough

I name my rival Jack, a guy who gets on my nerves. + he has red hair

I doubt we'll be able to name the female, still pondering.

Well, I don't name characters after myself because I like to keep a miniscule distance between my real self and my virtual self. Also, because my name is already featured by a character who is actually similar to me in the Super Smash Bros. series, I use him as my representation in the video-game world anyway if I want to become that immersed with it. (Guess who the SSB series fighter is? :P)

Furthermore, I dislike it when characters have names that don't match their appearances; it makes the person's character seem...I don't know, strange? That's why I like assigning names to any Pokemon player characters to make sure the name matches the person.
    For example (btw, I started with the RSE generation of Pkmn games):

Brendan of RSE - Sean Birch (looks like an adventurer)
    Red (FR/LG): Wyatt Myers(looksserious but rarely speaks)
    Lucas of DPPt - Clinton Hall (looks like a politician [Bill Clinton]/rich boy in Platinum?)
    Pearl of DPPt/Rival - Barry (it fits him due to the anime)
    Gold (HG/SS) - Kendall (looks eager to battle)
    Link of LoZ: ALTTP - Link*

All of these names were ones that I based mainly on appearance and would-be personality. With Link, that was the first RPG where I went by default names, since it seems to match him better. And anyway, my real name would really not match any of these characters, trust me! ;) :nervous:

Lastly, if you're a person who tries "connecting" the games as different adventures, you can't "start out" in a region 4 times like that (unless you got a makeover for each adventure; new parents, friends, and rivals; and lost all of your high-level Pokemon. Also, you'd have to move to a new region/house each time. Plus, people like Prof. Oak in Gen. IV would have to recognize you from previous encounters, unless they have amnesia or something).
    Especially with GSC; if you named yourself after your real name (and did the same thing in RBY), at Mt. Silver, it would be yourself battling yourself, which technically creates a paradox.

I choose my own name, because it sounds natural. If you ask me, choosing names that sound cool or symbolic or sound like other anime characters is....well...simple minded. Just putting that out there.

Then again...I am naming the rival Vega so let me zip my lips :P

Isn't naming your avatar after your real name (or choosing given default menu names for yourself, not rival) the simplest name you can choose, in terms of inspiration?
    IMO, taking time out to carefully name your avatars (whether based on appearance, personality, real-life people, anime-based names, etc.) is what really demonstrates your creativity and imagination.

Years
    New Girl: Ashley, AJ, or Heart. (Heart could be a nickname. Not naming her "Soul.")
    Silver: Not sure yet. I have to see his sprite to get an idea. (Not using the name Kamon.)
    Gold: Chris or Taylor. Or Zac!

I named the girl in Diamond "Rose," but I preferred using the name Ashley, so I did that in Platinum. It didn't feel like it was "my" game when I saw the name Rose. (Rose is my middle name btw.) I'm not naming my rivals after someone I'm mad at or dislike. lol

Last edited:
    Years
    I'll probably name myself Virus, simply because I don't want people to get confused when they see a random name instead of my internet alias.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    I will choose the official names/PokeSpe names.

Male: Gold
    Rival: Silver
    Female: Heart

I think I will name the female Heart instead of Soul, as I think Heart is a cuter name.

Ayselipera

I always give my name to the main character.
    Which would be Autumn. After playing over and
    over I change the name to names I like. For the
    Rival I'm going to name him Danny just because
    there is this kid I know who looks just like him.

Years
    I've never gone by the default color names. I RP a lot, so oftentimes I will name myself after one of my RP characters. My rival is almost always someone I don't like (usually a public figure/politician XD), or sometimes I've named him after my little brother and in G1 I would always call him Gary (cause I watched the show before I played the game).

Sometimes I'll do a "theme" with the nicknames of my Pokémon and my own name will go along with that theme (i.e. in my Emerald version the theme is Biblical figures, so my name is Elijah).

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I am not sure what I'll name my character. Most likely it'll be my name I use in all the other games, or I'll just use the name Heart. If I ever chose the boy it would be Gold.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Male: Gold
    Female: ???
    Rival: Silver

I just pick whatever I think is their official name, since I'm unoriginal like that. XD

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
    Player (female): Eagle, the shortform of my usual internet nick.
    Rival: Silver, I just couldn't name giovannis son different.
    The male...I don't think we get to name him, since we couldn't do it either in D/D/P. If we do can name him than I name him Gold of course.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    I'm naming Silver Pain because anyone who likes Naruto will know who I'm talking about, it's a pretty bada** name!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Well since I decided to pick the girl, I will be naming her Heart or after myself.

If I ever happen to pick the boy, I will name him Gold or Soul.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
    I've already seen the artwork of the hero/heroine on the CoroCoro Scans...

Sooo:

Hero - Jimmy (The Anime! Yeah!)
    Heroine - I can't name her Marina... *sniff* ... Well probably Choco (brown hair? Duh...)
    Rival - Don't know yet... XD

P.S. - And i would nickname my Chikorita - Rita ... :)

Back