• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Behind The (Potential) Names

How are you going to decide your player/rival name(s)?

• Total voters

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
    Male: Xander

Rival: Spike

Female: Willow

(Nerd points if anyone can guess the theme! :O)

That's usually how I name them in GSC. Because Spike fits the rival...

Buffy.

I think I'll decide on the spur of the moment for my game...

Bay

Years
    On default names, I think the girl's name might be Michelle. I don't know, but sounds right to me.

As for names I might want to choose, I might go for Jacob for the boy, Brenda for the girl, and Ernest for the rival, all three after characters in my fic. XD

(yes, I know Ernest is an old man's name and won't fit Silver well, shut up. :X )

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    I base my names off of people I know like in original GSC I named silver after my worst enemy in primary school lol

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    When I get the game and actually see how they look then I will probably know what to name them. Of course these characters are not in the anime so it'll be tough as I usually name their names from the pokemon anime.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Boy: Matt
    Rival: Dark_Azelf (and I'm dead serious, I like it when I'm able to beat him in-game. :<)
    Girl: Some nickname on Mikayla

Chris The Nerd

OMG a Cowterpie!!!
    Years
    Me: Chris, (That's my name)
    Rival: Matt (my cousin's name) [my cousin always goes the opposite, for obvious reasons]
    Girl: don't care, won't ever use her

Years
    I'm not sure yet, but here's some ideas.

Gold: He kinda looks like a Kevin or a Max...
    New Girl: Maybe Alexis? (Or Strawberry Shortcake. Just kidding.)
    Silver: I'll probably name him Kamon... or Weasley.

(I'm playing Silver Version right now, and I just noticed that the names are Silver, Kamon, Oscar, and Max right after I typed the name Max.)

On second thought:

Gold: Harry Potter (because of hair color)
    New Girl: Hermione (b/c of hair color)
    Silver: Weasley. (b/c of hair color)

Years
    Here are the names I'm giving the characters in my HeartGold file:

Player Character (Female): I named her Roku back in Crystal, but since it's a different character this time around, I'm going to give her a different name. I'll be naming her Azure, because she greatly resembles one of my own fan-made Pokemon characters, whose name is Azure.
    Rival: For some reason, I named him Jacob back in Crystal. Since it's the same guy, he's getting the same name.
    Supporting Character (Male): I'm guessing he'll get whatever his default name is, as we usually can't pick the name of the supporting character.

As for SoulSilver, if I do get it:

Player Character (Male): I'm debating between Chance and Darian for this guy. Or I may just go with the traditional "Gold".
    Rival: I might name him Blaise, since that name is similar to the word "Blaze". It's fitting, since he'd be getting Cyndaquil (I'd be starting with Chikorita in this game).
    Supporting Character (Female): Like before, I guess she'll just get whatever default name they decide to give her.

Finnel

Years
    Hero: Gold
    Heroine: Bronze
    Rival: Silver

Bronze kind of fits in with the other two. You know, Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The protagonist will be named Rekhyt, and the other two will be named after two of my friends in real life. I just need to figure out which two.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Male:Tom/Spark.
    Rival:Kain/Silver
    Female:Soul/Heart/Sarah/Miley.

Thats what i will do(I know they dont fit)

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Gold: Taichi
    Silver: Lucas/Kai
    Soul: Ayumi

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I'm currently thinking of a female and male Jap. name to choose for Silver and the new female. For Silver I think I would name him Yuki as for the female protagonist then perhaps, Amari or so...

DARKSHADE

Waiting.. In the Shadows..
    Years
    i allways give Gold my name (as i allways play as him)
    my rival will be called SILVER obviously! (CANT CHANGE THAT!)
    as for the girl, i guess that'd be default...

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    I base my names off of people I know like in original GSC I named silver after my worst enemy in primary school lol

Me... too... but I don't remember who it was! *graaaagh why did I restart my game!*
    So, after my friend Pauline because she has long, flowing ginger hair. :p That or some sort of ginger joke. So he seems crazy.

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
    I don't understand why most peeps in this thread don't name the hero after themselves. :S

Obviously, I name the hero Conor [my name]. Gold or anything other doesn't feel right, unless it's a joke playthrough

I name my rival Jack, a guy who gets on my nerves. + he has red hair

I doubt we'll be able to name the female, still pondering.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
    I choose my own name, because it sounds natural. If you ask me, choosing names that sound cool or symbolic or sound like other anime characters is....well...simple minded. Just putting that out there.

Then again...I am naming the rival Vega so let me zip my lips :P

Back