• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Best Mega Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I'm not talking in terms of appearance, but stats and abilities. You can view all the megas stats and new abilities on serebii.net. Who do you think is the best mega for competitive battling? Megas can't hold any item but there stone. I really liked MegaPinsir but I feel like it will get raped by rock moves without the berry to weaken the super effectiveness.

Years
  • Well i dont think its said yet if megas are allowed, and if they are..there's no point, they take up an Item Slot its prob just better to throw a life/choice item on the poke instead of making it a mega...

personally i just look at megas for the looks i just want that Shiny Gengar mega...All White gengar OP

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    First off Mega Stones boost that Pokemon's stats out of Mega Form. But next I believe that some Megas will actually be better than a Life/Choice item.

I'm especially liking Mega Charizard Y. I personally have a Timid Charizard which I believe is best for the Mega Y form. Once it Megas it has Drought which boosts it's STAB Fire attacks even more, gets increased Special Attack, (which is why I believe Timid is best), and Drought decreases it's Water weakness.

Timid Mega Charizard Y, 4 HP/252 SAtk, 252 Spe. Throwing around Sun boosted STAB Flamethrower, single turn Solar Beam with two other moves available. The fact Drought only lasts 5 turns doesn't matter, it comes in to get kills and gets out. Can probably use one slot for Roost to get rid of damage taken. It's truly a monster.

EDIT: I will have to look into it's new Gen 6 movepool to figure out the fourth move. I will have to see if it has any worthwhile Special Flying moves to get double STAB coverage or if it would be better to use another move type like Dragon for coverage. Regardless I don't see why Megas should be cut out as you can only have one per team but this Charizard will be Destruction.

Last edited:
    Years
  • First off Mega Stones boost that Pokemon's stats out of Mega Form. But next I believe that some Megas will actually be better than a Life/Choice item.

I'm especially liking Mega Charizard Y. I personally have a Timid Charizard which I believe is best for the Mega Y form. Once it Megas it has Drought which boosts it's STAB Fire attacks even more, gets increased Special Attack, (which is why I believe Timid is best), and Drought decreases it's Water weakness.

Timid Mega Charizard Y, 4 HP/252 SAtk, 252 Spe. Throwing around Sun boosted STAB Flamethrower, single turn Solar Beam with two other moves available. The fact Drought only lasts 5 turns doesn't matter, it comes in to get kills and gets out. Can probably use one slot for Roost to get rid of damage taken. It's truly a monster.

it still a flying fire which can get 1hko by a Life orb Cloyster, or Focus sash shell smash boosted lol.

Sirfetch’d

It's hard to tell which Mega is best right now as all of them are pretty much broken in-game and can win matches effectively. Until they are tiered and used competitively, I don't think anyone can give a definite answer as to which one is "best". If I had to make a guess though as to which one is going to see the most use that would probably be Mega Gengar. It's ability, Shadow Tag, allows it to trap non-ghost Pokemon in battle and pretty much have it's way with them because of it's massive special attack and fabulous speed. Mega Blaziken is also going to see quite a bit of use because of it's increased attack stat along with Speed Boost. In the end, all of them will likely be in Ubers with a select few remaining in the OU tier, but definitely all are going to be great competitively.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    it still a flying fire which can get 1hko by a Life orb Cloyster, or Focus sash shell smash boosted lol.

We will see but of course it will have team support. The Timid Nature and max Speed EV are to make sure it outspeeds threats. As long as it's faster it can Mega evolve and get an attack off. This should ensure it almost always gets at least one single turn Solar Beam off in time. The Drought will kill the speed of any Swift Swimmer with Rain Dance as the Beam will hit before it can start Rain again.

The Drought also pretty much removes it's Water weakness. Solar Beam is a great coverage move due to it removing two of Charizard's main weaknesses, Water and Rock. Flamethrower also has great coverage. I think you are also forgetting that Mega Charizard Y has an increased Special Attack stat. This combined with max Special Attack EV ensures it will hit harder than any Charizard in the previous Metagame.

The Timid Nature or full Speed EV may not be necessary, we have to see what the Metagame gives it as competition and you need to make sure to only outspeed those Pokemon. If you can change the Timid Nature you could go for a Modest which would give it the most damage possible. All of this obviously needs to be tested to figure out the correct Nature/EV. I am personally starting with Timid 252/252.

Again with Drought decreasing a huge weakness, great coverage in Flamethrower/Solar Beam to destroy main weaknesses. This is a great Pokemon. In my personal opinion far better than anything I can come up with for Mega Charizard X t

Years
  • We will see but of course it will have team support. The Timid Nature and max Speed EV are to make sure it outspeeds threats. As long as it's faster it can Mega evolve and get an attack off. This should ensure it almost always gets at least one single turn Solar Beam off in time. The Drought will kill the speed of any Swift Swimmer with Rain Dance as the Beam will hit before it can start Rain again.

The Drought also pretty much removes it's Water weakness. Solar Beam is a great coverage move due to it removing two of Charizard's main weaknesses, Water and Rock. Flamethrower also has great coverage. I think you are also forgetting that Mega Charizard Y has an increased Special Attack stat. This combined with max Special Attack EV ensures it will hit harder than any Charizard in the previous Metagame.

The Timid Nature or full Speed EV may not be necessary, we have to see what the Metagame gives it as competition and you need to make sure to only outspeed those Pokemon. If you can change the Timid Nature you could go for a Modest which would give it the most damage possible. All of this obviously needs to be tested to figure out the correct Nature/EV. I am personally starting with Timid 252/252.

Again with Drought decreasing a huge weakness, great coverage in Flamethrower/Solar Beam to destroy main weaknesses. This is a great Pokemon. In my personal opinion far better than anything I can come up with for Mega Charizard X t

Icicle Spear hitting 5 times in a row, youre underestimating a Sash/Herb Cloyster with shell Smash, if that Charizard doesnt have any Def and just speed and atk/satk its going to go down, and since it has no Item to protect it Sash/band than its gonna be a 1hko

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • One thing I need to mention is that people really overrate Solarbeam. Even back in GSC, when sunnybeaming was first invented, it wasn't that great of a strategy. And, with other weather inducers running around, you'd be crazy to rely on such a move. Drizzletoad or Tyranitar switch in the turn you use Solarbeam, and it's not only back to a charging move, but is also halved in power.

About the Mega question, I don't even need to test them to know the best Mega is obviously Mega Houndoom. <3

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Icicle Spear hitting 5 times in a row, youre underestimating a Sash/Herb Cloyster with shell Smash, if that Charizard doesnt have any Def and just speed and atk/satk its going to go down, and since it has no Item to protect it Sash/band than its gonna be a 1hko

But you're not thinking of team support. That is one hard counter that you have team support for. You aren't going to go switching into a Cloyster now are you? If Cloyster comes into Charizard it has the potential of taking the boosted Beam to the face before it ever gets Shell Smash off. Then you run the risk of taking another boosted Beam before you ever get an attack off.

Also with the change to Drought and all weathers this Charizard doesn't need to be on a Sun team. Drought ends after 5 turns. This could be the only or 1 out of two Sun abusers on the team. Weather is much more versatile now with the change. The only benefit inducers get is being able to abuse it without using the weather move.

Years
  • But you're not thinking of team support. That is one hard counter that you have team support for. You aren't going to go switching into a Cloyster now are you? If Cloyster comes into Charizard it has the potential of taking the boosted Beam to the face before it ever gets Shell Smash off. Then you run the risk of taking another boosted Beam before you ever get an attack off.

Also with the change to Drought and all weathers this Charizard doesn't need to be on a Sun team. Drought ends after 5 turns. This could be the only or 1 out of two Sun abusers on the team. Weather is much more versatile now with the change. The only benefit inducers get is being able to abuse it without using the weather move.

do you know what a Sash or white herb does?

all it takes is one Shell smash to outspeed that charizard lawl.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    One thing I need to mention is that people really overrate Solarbeam. Even back in GSC, when sunnybeaming was first invented, it wasn't that great of a strategy. And, with other weather inducers running around, you'd be crazy to rely on such a move. Drizzletoad or Tyranitar switch in the turn you use Solarbeam, and it's not only back to a charging move, but is also halved in power.

About the Mega question, I don't even need to test them to know the best Mega is obviously Mega Houndoom. <3

Solar Beam boosted by Drought is not overrated. It is a 120 base power, 100% accuracy Grass equivalent to Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower. It plays off the enemies weaknesses.

Other inducers could switch in but Charizard can switch out. Just like in Gen 5 weather battles you sometimes remove the opponents weather inducer before bringing yours in. As this Charizard doesn't have to be exclusive to Sun teams it has a lot of potential.

No Pokemon is perfect, not Mega Gengar or Mega Houndoom. All have counters. That doesn't make a Pokemon bad.

do you know what a Sash or white herb does?

all it takes is one Shell smash to outspeed that charizard lawl.

As a Gen 5 Hail player I should know this. I was thinking just Attack and Special Attack lol. We all make mistakes but again it can switch out. Team support.

Off topic, I plan on adding you this Friday or Saturday when I get internet service. Feel free to add me.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Solar Beam boosted by Drought is not overrated. It is a 120 base power, 100% accuracy Grass equivalent to Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower. It plays off the enemies weaknesses.

Other inducers could switch in but Charizard can switch out. Just like in Gen 5 weather battles you sometimes remove the opponents weather inducer before bringing yours in. As this Charizard doesn't have to be exclusive to Sun teams it has a lot of potential.

No Pokemon is perfect, not Mega Gengar or Mega Houndoom. All have counters. That doesn't make a Pokemon bad.

the whole point i was making was Mega Evos wont be any good if they do not have any of Power items, i mean what good is mega evoing if you can get 1hko by the sweepers that are sashed, banded, life orb ect...

Solar Beam boosted by Drought is not overrated. It is a 120 base power, 100% accuracy Grass equivalent to Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower. It plays off the enemies weaknesses.

As a Gen 5 Hail player I should know this. I was thinking just Attack and Special Attack lol. We all make mistakes but again it can switch out. Team support.

Off topic, I plan on adding you this Friday or Saturday when I get internet service. Feel free to add me.

yea ill add you Np lol...i wasnt even trying say Megas were bad im just saying not competitive material IMO,

Sunday ill add next freeday

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    the whole point i was making was Mega Evos wont be any good if they do not have any of Power items, i mean what good is mega evoing if you can get 1hko by the sweepers that are sashed, banded, life orb ect...

yea ill add you Np lol...i wasnt even trying say Megas were bad im just saying not competitive material IMO,

Sunday ill add next freeday

I think it depends on the stat boosts a Mega receives. Mewtwo Y has potential depending on the boosts. Use the same build as Gen 5 but you get a Special Attack and Speed boost, potentially giving it the best of both worlds with no move lock/recoil.

My support for Mega Charizard Y is I can see it easily being OU instead of NU like it currently is. At the very least UU.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I don't think a particular Mega out-best others as each has their own strength and weakness. But the strongest I believe would be the Charizard megas. Y Mega, with drought further boosts it's already heightened Fire moves to the very peak and X Mega is a good Physical version.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    The strongest Mega is most likely MegaMewtwo X or MegaMewtwo Y since he was already very powerful in Ubers without it. Ignoring Mewtwo in my opinion MegaLucario is the strongest. I would have said MegaGengar if mega evolution had priority over switching.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Some megas may have better stats and abilities than others, but there's no such thing as the best mega evolution. It all depends on how you use it, really—if you have a good strategy, then you could easily win a match even with the weakest mega Pokémon (stats-wise). d:

In terms of competitive battling, Blastoise's mega form has gotta be one of my favorites. Its defensive stats are heavy, allowing it to take quite a lot of hits and stall your opponent for many, many turns. I've once battled one of my friends with Mega Blastoise. During the battle, her Raichu managed to use three Thunderbolt attacks in a row, which Blastoise was super-effective to—it still didn't faint. Not only is this Pokémon a great staller, it makes a great special sweeper, too. Its Special Attack stat is pretty high, and thanks to its Mega Launcher ability, it gets an additional boost to most of its special-based attacks. Water Pulse, Hydro Pump, and Flash Cannon would be some great examples. Well, I'm not exactly sure about Hydro Pump and Flash Cannon, but Mega Launcher does affect Water Pulse. I've tested it myself a while back.

I'm also quite a big fan of Mega Charizard Y. It may not be as powerful as Charizard X offensively, but it does have a gargantuan amount of Speed. This makes it a great revenge killer. :) I've used this Pokémon a few times when battling online. With the help of it, I've been able to take down a lot of my opponent's Pokémon without even breaking a sweat.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    So sad.. No love for Mega Banette?

I'm loving his prankster ability with a stupidly high attack stat stapled on. I think in the right team and setting he could be a beast! Wish more people were trying to use him and figure out some nice setups. I'm new to online battling and competitive play, so I'm just working with what I can research and trying new things.

Years
  • Mega Gengar I think looks awesome... apart from that, Mega Medicham and Abomasnow look pretty nice. It's a shame there are so few Mega Pokemon, really. I wonder what Mega Chimecho would look like...?

Back