• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Best Pokemon (non trainer) to level up on

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    Id just like to say that i think that wild Lvl 5 Metapods are the best pokemon to train your Lvl 2s, 3s, 4s, because it doesnt attak, and is higher Lvl, i got 4 Lvls up from one.

What u think?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I assume you mean in Viridian Forest on R/B/Y.

Sounds like a good idea, early in-game, though it may become a bit tedious since they use Harden a lot. If one needs/wants to train up before fighting Brock, hunting Metapods and Kakunas would probably be a wholesome training experience to undertake.

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
    Years
    Id just like to say that i think that wild Lvl 5 Metapods are the best pokemon to train your Lvl 2s, 3s, 4s, because it doesnt attak, and is higher Lvl, i got 4 Lvls up from one.

What u think?

Sure, metapods and even kakunas are a great way to get started on leveling your low leveled pokemon, i think the same thing

Years
    Eh, Hardening makes battles with Metapod and Kakuna take a very long time, in which you could probably have defeated enough pokemon to gain two or three times the amount of EXP given by a Metapod or Kakuna. Unless you're using a pokemon with a special attack, I wouldn't bother with the time or PP.

In general, places that have evolved pokemon (such as Victory Road, the Cerulean Cave, Pokemon Mansion) are good leveling spots since the base EXP stat is considerably higher for an evolved pokemon. That's why Metapod and Kakuna seem to be worth so much.

Cid

Years
    Yeah, I trained using Metapods and Kakunas before facing Brock, too, though their Harden moves lengthen the battle.

The good thing is you get more experience instead of battling a Caterpie or Weedle of the same level.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I personally like Victory Road Pokemon the best. They usually use stupid moves, and if they do attack, it's a weak move.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I usually run away from metapod, knowing that they always use harden.
    One lvl. 5 metapod gives you 51 exp., while one lvl. 4 caterpie gives you 30 experience, and are much easier to kill.
    i say that caterpie and weedle are better because they can be killed with one or two moves, and give you half as much experience, while a metapod and kakuna give you twice as much, but dwindle your PP fast, and make you have to heal, which takes even more time.

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
    Years
    In Yellow, i never battled with Wild Metapods I always trained my Pikachu 'til lv18 on the patch of grass before entering Pewter City, and also caught and trainer a Nidoran (Male) to lv18 and give it Double Kick to wipe out Brock's pokemon. I never though on doing it on Metapods though..

jam

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2008
    i go to cerulean cave to level, and always battle the 'extra' trainers in gyms that are avoidable

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I use Victory Road. Or trainers with Gyarados. They are easily taken down with an electric type and they give great EXP.

Years
    I personally like Victory Road Pokemon the best. They usually use stupid moves, and if they do attack, it's a weak move.

Phailboat Road in a remake?

Yeah, Gyarados does make for awesome training. I think it ultimately shifts with the Pokemon (and its moves) going for training. Super Rod fishing is my preference in general.

Years
    I usually just run from all the Metapod/Kakuna I see. It takes to long and I am not patient enough to continue going to the pokemon center and back. I prefer to just battle the trainers.

Back