• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best Starter Pokemon

Which Starter is the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuii

PokéBreeder
Years
    • Seen May 20, 2011
    Chimchar in my opinion, fire types are just beast!

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    I never pick the water starters. And its very close between Turtwig and Chimchar, I love Chimchar's evos and moveset, but now theres 3 fire/fighting starters?! -_-
    So i'm picking Turtwig, I picked him as my starter for diamond and Torterra is just a tank! :D

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • None. Dump it ASAP. They are called 'starter' pokemon for a reason people? :/. Nobody seems to understand your only meant to use them for the START -_-.

You know what? you do have a point, I never even thought of it like that before :\

But, I still believe that starter Pokemon are really good though, but out of Piplup, Turtwig and Chimchar, I'm picking Piplup because I love using water starters and I also like Surfing the Fire starter and Ice beaming the grass starter

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    with no items, just plain EV training and versing each other, Infernape can OHKO all them and outspeeds both

Years
  • fire type starters

the fire types are BEAST for me :D charizard has always made it easy for me, and blazikens the best out of the other choices in ruby/sapphire, and chimchar is just the same, with good attack, speed and even sp atk. fire types just always been easy for me

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Infernape's Speed + Att + 2 STAB 100+ Power Attacks makes him 1000 times better than Toterra or Empoleon

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    Personally, my favorite is Piplup, but only due to the fact he is undeniably cute. Prinplup and Empoleon... Not so much. However, coming from a battling prospective I would have to go with Chimchar. With Infernape's high Sp. Attack, Attack, and Speed he could become a decent Physical/Special Sweeper with the ability to out-speed most Pokemon. On the other hand, Infernape can't take a hit. Send out a faster Pokemon, i.e. Starmie and Infernape is done and out. As well, Torterra has the potential to be a decent team member. In opinion, he's a good wall who can deal some damage. In the end, I'm not a huge fan of using Starters within a competitive setting. Has others have said... They're dumped ASAP.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I would have voted Turtwig.
    He's cute, and strong, and noble.
    To this day, he still remains with me.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • Chimchar.

When I played my sisters Diamond version, she'd picked Chimchar. He was already evolved into the second stage, so I never got a good feel of the first stage... but I loved battling with him. He seemed to be a pretty decent Pokemon. I love his final evolution, too. Plus, I've always been a fan of fire Pokemon. Nine times out of ten, I choose the fire starter. I always chose Charmander, always chose Cyndaquil, and always chose Torchic.

When I got Platinum, I decided to try Piplup because he was kinda cute. I don't really like him, though. It seemed to take forever for him to learn a move that I actually liked and I'm not particularly fond of his evolved form. His stats are okay, but I've always been more about movesets than stats.

Jubi

Leafy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Turtwig.

Although I always prefer the grass starter, I felt Turtwig (at least throughout the game) was the best choice. By the time it grows to a Torterra, it gets Earthquake right off the bat, and is really only super weak against one of the gyms. :)

...Plus...he has trees on his back...and I like trees :D

L5Animations

Gamer & Shiny Hunter
    Years
  • I have to go with Chimchar, Monferno, and Infernape. I know of a LOT of people who rage on about the poor thing(s), calling it a "rip-off" of Torchic, Combusken, and Blaziken. To them, I say "shut up." Chimchar doesn't deserve aall that rage thrown at it, in my eyes. I see it as another good starter, and I happen to like Torchic, too. If you're calling Chimchar a rip-off of Torchic, then why aren't you calling Spiritomb a Sableye rip-off? I never hear anyone rage on that. All that stuff annoys me, and personaly just use them both and get maximum possible enjoyment out of the games.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Well if you go by competitive use/tiers.

Smogon has Empoleon and Infernape locked firmly in OU while Torterra is in UU.

Competitively Infernape probably has the edge.

Years
  • I say chimchar. It was the starter i chose the first time i played pokemon diamond and I had no problem.

Piplup, i couldnt defeat the first gym without evolving.

And Turtwig is strong

so i say Chimchar and Turtwig FTW

Years
  • Well, i've had experience with all three, and the best experience was with Infernape.*

* Although Torterra didn't get past the e4, i gave up on his file at snowpoint city.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Even though the type combo is a little unoriginal at this point, I like the Chimchar line. I got Chimchar my first time through Pearl, and had Infernape on my competitive battling team for a while.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back