• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best Starter Pokemon

Which Starter is the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    Pokemon Stuff

I believe, in my opinion, that Turtwig is a good starter for those who want an average experience, and very good for the long run and beginners. Chimchar is the best starter for the generation, evolving to some wicked pokemon with amazing powers and abilities, yet you need patience to raise it. Piplup, is quite strong and may very well help you beat what Chimchar and Turtwig evolutions can't seem to beat, but yet you need even more patience to raise and very hard, but once you get over the first evolution of piplup, you get a powerful pokemon. In the end, Turtwig for beginners, Chimchar for fast, easy, and strong game experience, and Piplup for those who have the patience and want the harder fruit of the game and the best third evolution out of all three.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2010
    Probably Turtwig

I've gotta say turtwig. Earthquake and frenzy plant are some pretty good moves, but I can also see why chimchar and piplup are good to.... but I've been a grass person all along, I usually choose grass starters. Once I made a stupid mistake of only training one pokemon the whole time, so by the time I reached Hearthome City it was on level 40 :)

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I like torterra because it has great stats and more all- round stats than infernape. Infernape is mainly attack and a little speed but it's defensive stats aren't great.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I have to go with Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra because by the time it is Torterra and it has learned Curse,Systhesis,Earthquake and Crunch.He can be a very good defense pokemon and still put out high amounts of damage.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    I never chose the water starters for any of the 4 Generations. I went with Fire for the first 2 generations (Kanto/Johto) and went Grass for the last 2 (Hoenn/Sinnoh) So obviously it has to be Turtwig. He provided an extreme defensive game and a great attack as well. His speed brought him down but his tank properties pulled through by the time Torterra came along. Move over Empoleon and Infernape.

Flan

has the bird flu.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NYC
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    Technically, it would be the Chimchar line. I think next up would be Empoleon, and then Turtwig in dead last. My favorite starter for the fourth generation however would have to be Piplup. The design is lovely and in the end, it proves to be a useful Pokemon in the metagame.

Moonlord

The ........MewTwo
    Years
    • LA
    • Seen Feb 6, 2011
    I'd go with Chimchar. I've used chimchar as my starter in Pearl, Diamond, and Platinum...I beat them all with chimchar.You should pick Chimchar he is the best.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I have tried out all the starters from Sinnoh, and the Chimchar family has to be the best choice, while disregarding my dislike for firetypes :P But sice all the starters have dual-types in their final evolution, it makes all 3 of them a hard choice.

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
    Piplup. With it's final evolution, water and steel type duos are the best. Also most of the gyms are pretty easy with Piplup, in my opinion.

Years
    Chimchar (:

The fire types are always the best starters imo because you can normally catch Pokemon with Grass-type moves early on to cover you against caves and the like.

Although, having said that I am prefering Squirtle to Charmander atm :P Probably due to the fact that I've recently started watching the anime ;)

Years
    I'm gonna have to go with Piplup.
    He's so adorable, and..yeah. His evolutions are pretty adorable as well.
    Chimchar comes in second, and Turtwig is last. ):

RivalShaemus

Mr. X, they Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2011
    The Best?

I think the only reason Chimchar, and monferno, and Infernape are voted "Best" is due to the fact everyone likes Fire Mons

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
    Years
    Turtwig>Piplup>Chimchar

Chimchar is...Rather ugly in my opinion. I can't picture traveling around with one :/ Piplup is cute and original, but I'm not a big fan of its evolutions. Turtwig? Cute and I can picture being with one. It would be cool to sleep on a Torterra's back....*Dazes off*

treecko0

Carpe Diem
    Years
    Turtwig>Piplup>Chimchar

Chimchar is...Rather ugly in my opinion. I can't picture traveling around with one :/ Piplup is cute and original, but I'm not a big fan of its evolutions. Turtwig? Cute and I can picture being with one. It would be cool to sleep on a Torterra's back....*Dazes off*
    I dont see how you find piplup original its like they got the base of torchick and changed a few things nothing original there

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I think the only reason Chimchar, and monferno, and Infernape are voted "Best" is due to the fact everyone likes Fire Mons

no, its because hes statistically the best. No items, all best natures and IVs and movesets, Infernape could take Torterra and Empoleon right after one another lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back