• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Best Starter

best starter

• bulbasaur

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • charmander

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • squirtle

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • treecko

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • torchic

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • mudkip

Votes: 23 31.9%

• Total voters

Blue Tomoshibi

Pokémon a go-go!
    Years
    I usually went for whatever starter did best against the respective leader. For FR, and LG I picked the starter that would give me the Legendary dog I needed for my Dex. And for Emerald I went for Torchic, I don't know why, I was guessing that he felt unloved.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Bulbasaur always was and forever will be my favorite out of the six. Now, out of ALL of the states, my favorite is Meganium. Plus, I HATE the Hoenn starters.

ShadowDragon~

Dragon King Extra Ordinaire
    Years
    For competitive: Mudkip. (water-ground typing +ice beam = GG)
    My personal favorites: Charmander and Bulbasaur
    Charmander because somehow ive always managed to use charizard, and cuz he looks like a dragon ;P. Somehow i just like bulbasaur

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
    What if swampert fights ludicolo? So long ice beam. =/

Torchic all the way. Having a blaziken is really useful against Team Aqua. Blaze kick for zubat family, double kick/sky uppercut for dark Pokémon. Pwned.

A level 30 combusken has no trouble against Brendan. I also defeated all of Norman's trainers with double kick and I didn't lose a single HP.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
    Out of all of them, my favourite would be Treecko. I love the way it looks and has some decent stats to go with it.
    Mudkip is alright, but I find it boring to use. I've never been a fan of the water starters.

Years
    Chimchar is the way to go
    =P

Mudkip has Swampert, making him the best in competitive battles... in fact, given the dual-types of the others like Blaziken, which isn't nearly as good as the Water/Ground combo, Swampert just blows the others away (and that's just on types; we aren't even counting stats).

My personal favorite though... eh, I'll throw Charmander the bone here. Why? I like Charizard, and I also like to give myself more of a challange when starting a new game in FR/LG... Bulbasaur and Squirtle (especially Bulbasaur) make it too easy.

Gelly

Don't eat me!
    Years
    Mudkip, because it is Water/ground and it's ever so cute!

My second chose is Squirtle, it's ever so cute, and i always pick him in LG/FR

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Sorry, but being 4x weak to Rock and 2x weak to both Electric and Water, while that is only a few weaknesses, is horrible. Any good team is going to have all three of those attacks. While it has stronger Atk and SAtk base stats than Blastoise and Venusaur, its bad typing make it the weakest of the three.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    I picked Torchic by 3 reasons:
    1) It's Cute (i had no idea it evolved into Blaziken, and Blaziken is *strooong*
    2) I got it in PMD, and i knew it ruled there =)
    3) I always pick the Fire Starter!

I hate Water Starters, i don't really like Water Pokémons at all...

sonicisrad

^ Yes he is. ^
    Years
    I tend to prefer the starter that has the best advantage against the champion for that game. So It changes. FR/LG, Either will do. R/S, Mudkip & E, Treecko.

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
    I tend to prefer the starter that has the best advantage against the champion for that game. So It changes. FR/LG, Either will do. R/S, Mudkip & E, Treecko.
    Wallace's Pokémon know ice beam, don't they?
    Therefore rendering sceptile somewhat useless?
    I think swampert would be good against him, but it's your call.

Back