• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Better watched than played

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
    Are there any games that you think are better off being seen played by someone else?

Sam and Max for me, some of the puzzles can feel like they use moon logic. You're probably playing for the writing and humor anyway, so why not?

So, are there any other games that you think are better off watching game play of than actually playing?

Bulky Ledian

Banned
    Years
    Danganronpa
    i like the characters and story but i hate playing VN-like games
    I digress, watching a LP instead of reading through it deprives you of having to figure out the entire murder mystery at the core of it.
    also visual novels are not video games.

pkmin3033

Depends on the visual novel, and on your own interpretation of what constitutes a video game. Kinetic VNs, where you just read...perhaps not. But a VN like Danganronpa, which has gameplay that goes beyond pressing a single button to advance the text? I'd say that's definitely a video game. But that's another topic entirely...

Anyways...lord, no. I can't stand watching other people play games, and if I don't want to play it myself, I definitely don't want to watch someone else play it instead. I've just never been interested in LPs or things like that. I mean, I will occasionally watch Monster Hunter speedruns because they're typically less than ten minutes, and I might watch a tutorial of how to get somewhere or do something, but watching gameplay instead of playing it? Sounds awfully tedious!

CameranW

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2020
    Depends on the visual novel, and on your own interpretation of what constitutes a video game.
    They're not games. You can't reinterpret a VN into a game.

pkmin3033

They're not games. You can't reinterpret a VN into a game.
    It's hardly reinterpretation - gameplay is gameplay. If a text-based title requires additional input from the player, such as solving a puzzle, making a choice which leads to a different scenario, or investigating a scene to progress the plot - all common elements in visual novels and adventure novels, the latter especially - that is gameplay, and therefore it is a video game. I would love to hear your definition of what a video game is if you disagree.

As I said, not all visual novels are purely kinetic in nature. Even making choices is a form of gameplay. I am willing to concede that kinetic visual novels have about as much standing as a video game as walking simulators - and even then that is subjective - but where there is actual gameplay supporting a primarily text based experience? Nope, that's a video game.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Visual Novels are never video games. You can't call a movie a book just because the credits has words in it.
    ...and yet they are classified as video games, and have gameplay in them that is directly comparable to other genres. Not sure what part of this somehow makes them not video games. That's a painfully flawed analogy. But this isn't really the topic to discuss it, so let's move on, please.

Thinking about it, I have been watching a lot of Project Diva videos on Extreme/Extra Extreme difficulties...until my skill level improves (if it ever does) those are definitely better watched than played for me on higher difficulties because I fail all the time, haha.

Bulky Ledian

Banned
    Years
    ...and yet they are classified as video games, and have gameplay in them that is directly comparable to other genres.
    And people call random things roguelikes or metroidvanias, that doesn't make it right.

Recently I watched a guy play metroid fusion 100% blindfolded, Fusion was pretty bad but I can't imagine the blindfold making it enjoyable.

User Anon 1848

Games with good stories but suffer from clunky tank controls like Silent Hill 1-3. Intentional game-design or not I've gotten more enjoyment from watching someone get through those games smoothly than I have from trying to work around the awkward controls myself. Plus resource management and puzzles have never been my thing. I always opt for non-commentary playthroughs though as I don't want the experience disturbed by someone's face or voice. I find most youtubers pretty annoying anyway.

I was going to include multiple-choice adventure games like you see from Telltale but watching someone make choices you strongly disagree with can be annoying too haha.

Years
    Honestly like Persona 4 animation is kinda funny mainly because it made Yu like a troll, sarcastic kinda guy. Persona 4 didn't have some nice changes that exist in P4G (choosing inherited moves, grounded shadows, golden shadows, Shadow Yukiko/Kanji on complete steroids, better shuffle time, etc.) and most importantly, Chie's voiceover was just so off because she sounded way too mature and the animation fixed it.

If you wanna just experience P4 without the additional content of P4G then just like, watch the animation

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    I don't like horror games so I just tend to watch YouTubers/Markiplier play those. FNAF, Amnesia, etc.

I also don't like super hard and/or near impossible games like Cuphead so I'll watch those too. Although Hollow Knight might be that too but I bought the Switch version of that. help me

Basically anything I don't feel like playing myself I'll watch on YouTube.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Danganronpa
    i like the characters and story but i hate playing VN-like games

Hard agree. Tbh, the gameplay in Danganronpa doesn't look like something I'd wanna do. I'd rather watch Influences on Youtube play it than actually play it myself.

Also, Pokemon RPG maker games... for some reason, I'd rather watch other people play those than play them myself. I'll play romhacks, though!

Back