• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue/Green, Green/Blue, what?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Blue/Green, Green/Blue, what?
    For those who aren't aware (are there people in the Manga section that haven't read the first PokeSpe arc...?), in the English translations of Pokemon Special, Blue (the girl) is named Green, and Green (Gary/The boy) is named Blue. This was originally done to alleviate confusion, since Pokemon Green in Japan was Pokemon Blue in English. So, opinions: How do you feel about the name change between Blue and Green? Was the idea of making it easier for Americans to understand a good idea, or would they have been better off leaving the names the way they were in the Japanese version? As long as you're reading only (official) English translations or only Japanese, does it really matter if Blue is Green and Green is Blue?

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    They should have went with the regular Jap names. I liked it better when Blue(Boy) was called Green while Green(Girl) was called Blue. Although in the Manga Green(I'm going with the Jap names for this) had a Charizard, the girl Blue had a Blastios. It would have made so much sense and also, Green has green eyes as well while Blue is usually wearing Blue so I can see why they changed it up a bit because of the game but they should have kept it with the Jap. It's making a lot of fans confused on which character we are talking about.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    They should stick with the Japanese names. Sure, they have a good reason for it but is there a good reason why did they change Pokémon Green's (game) name in America?. It's just making more confusion :/.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

I can understand why they did it. And it only really causes problems when you've been reading scanlations that were done directly, not swapping names around. And the pun in Fr/Lg when Red and Green (male) trade their starters, and it's Fire (Charizard) Red and Leaf (Venusaur) Green. But Viz'll cut out that no doubt, to simplify it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    They should have left it the same. Like it's been said, Blue has blue eyes, and Green has green eyes (yes, I am going with the Japanese here if you couldn't tell). Plus Blue seems more like a girl name, to me, and Green seems more like a guy name. I mean, don't go out and name your kids that, but that's just how I look at it, lol.

Years
    Gah reading this thread is making my head spin :S
    But i like it better when the boy is blue and the girl is green, simply because it fits in with their pokemon. I know its a little bit weird but i like how red has a bulbasaur (red stands for charmander which can beat bulbasaur) blue has a charmander and green has a squirtle.
    I think thats the american one but like i said this whole thing's confused me xD

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Honestly, it just made it much more confusing. They should've left it like it was before.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    If they ever do the FRLG arc, they're gonna have fun explaining why "Fire"Red now has a Charizard but "Leaf"Green still has a Blastoise.

Nonetheless, I think America should've not changed anything. It makes them seem a bit xenophobic, too, considering that they won't even acknowledge that Blue wasn't released in Japan while Green was. But I could just be looking into that too much.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
    Ah, whiny, whiny people.

Viz was just following the game convention. In the English version of the games the rival was named Blue, not Green, so they carried this change to the manga translation too, not to confuse ORDINARY fans who know "Blue" solely as the rival from the games.

"Ordinary" people don't know Japanese names at all and aren't even aware that the first games released in Japan were "Red and Green". Viz does their translations to ordinary, everyday Pokefans who just play the games, watch the anime and read the manga, not whiny people who want everything to be exactly as in the Japanese original.

I think that the only thing that confuses people are whiny fans who use Japanese naming for these two characters even when they're using English names for all other characters. Heck, even Bulbapedia used Blue for the girl and Green for the rival until pretty recently.

Yes, it's the FANDOM, not NoA/Viz who made this all so effed up. You must understand that if Viz followed the Japanese version, most people would be even more confused than now.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Ah, whiny, whiny people.

Viz was just following the game convention. In the English version of the games the rival was named Blue, not Green, so they carried this change to the manga translation too, not to confuse ORDINARY fans who know "Blue" solely as the rival from the games.

"Ordinary" people don't know Japanese names at all and aren't even aware that the first games released in Japan were "Red and Green". Viz does their translations to ordinary, everyday Pokefans who just play the games, watch the anime and read the manga, not whiny people who want everything to be exactly as in the Japanese original.

I think that the only thing that confuses people are whiny fans who use Japanese naming for these two characters even when they're using English names for all other characters. Heck, even Bulbapedia used Blue for the girl and Green for the rival until pretty recently.

Yes, it's the FANDOM, not NoA/Viz who made this all so effed up. You must understand that if Viz followed the Japanese version, most people would be even more confused than now.

I have to disagree with just about all of this, lol. If you're going as far as reading the Pokemon manga, which will be found in the manga section of a bookstore, you know a little bit about Japanese culture and such. If this was the anime, showing on Saturday morning for kids, yeah I would understand them changing the names. Plenty of little kids watch the show in America. But I feel that most of the fans that go so far as to read the manga will at least know a bit about the Japanese games. Knowing that they were Red and Green in Japan isn't uncommon knowledge; in fact, I don't think I've ever met a Pokemon fan who didn't know that.

On another note, there's no need to continually insult people that have another opinion. :x

Back