• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Series obviously doesn't live upto the expectations set up by he initial episodes. Initial episodes made this look like the next blockbuster top animu. But naah.

I'll be honest though - I prefer the anime's ending to the manga's. The final confrontation in the manga just didn't work as organically as it did in the anime, I feel. Attack on Kumi felt better too and the fact that Kumi had an unnecessarily more central role in the last few chapters in the manga felt off - her relatively smaller role in the anime just ends up working for the better. I'm kinda miffed they got rid of one Airi scene that I loved but I'm okay with how things finally panned out.

Anime somehow managed to end the series with a lot more closure than I remember the manga ever doing. It mostly ends in a very similar way but the anime's montage of all the characters as adults during the ED song sequence works better, I feel.

Overall, I'm definitely aware of how the story was weak. And the unexplained Revival still really grinds my gears. But I can't say I didn't enjoy it. And the production values were, in general, pretty damn nice too. I was thinking of giving it a 6 or 7 (at max) because of all the positives (high production values, my excellent initial episodes) but then the finale surpassed my expectations so I feel like giving it an 8.

It is mostly a 6/10 show, though. The story and the relatively weak characters really bring the overall package down. Everything else was pretty damn nice - the visuals, the OST, the OP + ED, the pacing (yeah, I didn't think it was rushed) and the direction were all pretty damn great. But let down by a series that just didn't have a solid story.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I give this anime a 7/10. Great start, may have faltered a bit post-climactically but the ending was organic. The only issues are the lack of tension between the protagonist and villain and Yashiro felt very flat. Overall the show suffered from mediocrity which pulled against the outstanding production values.

I probably would not read the manga since the anime ending is supposedly better. And I'm not that piqued into finding out Yashiro's backstory. Pity.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Late, but yes, lack of Yashiro's backstory made it lacking and the last episode felt really random. It was like playing a game where there's a bad end, neutral end, good end, and then a random weird romance end that came out of left field and sorta creeps you out.

I mean, I loved that entire series, but you could really tell that rushed parts towards the end, and left things out. I'm a bit torn. Still one of the better series this season, but also I feel like as far as end game goes, I'd like the last few chapters of the manga better than the last episode of the anime. Hopefully it'll feel less... weird. I've read some things about it since the anime ended, and I'm pretty tempted to go to read it.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • Ending didn't feel satisfying, it just didn't live up to the hype. I don't feel like over analysing it either, since a lot of people have said to read the manga since the ending was better. Pretty good anime, though. Some parts in 4-8 where a bit boring, but overall pretty great.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I just did a quick manga read and noticed how much content they left out. Really sad.

I mean, yes, the story itself had an unsatisfying ending, but what they did with the anime is even worse lol

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    I'm really glad that this series got an adaptation to stimulate discussion, since I've been itching to find someone to discuss with since I started following it in early '13. It's also nice to see the original work's existence being recognized by the mainstream.

Personally, I liked this manga a lot, as a whole. I've not finished the anime, but I'll probably get around to it some time soon.
    Spoiler:

The anime soundly trumps the manga in art and character design-- for example, in the manga, Osamu is pretty much indistinguishable from the generic background character. The lines in the anime are a lot softer, and the faces a lot rounder. This helps make both Airi and Kayo look a lot more girlish than in the manga, and a lot cuter, too. Tsuchiya Tao's performance as shouta-Satoru was a bit stiff in some of the more serious lines, but pretty good as a whole-- especially considering that she's not technically a proper voice actress. A Gold Star goes to Yuuki Aoi's performance as Hinadzuki, her warm, hoarse-ish voice a perfect fit for her role. The fact that Yashiro's backstory was deleted from the anime, however, undercuts the whole existentialist v.s. nihilist view that I extolled on above. This is an unpardonable exclusion. In my opinion, this series is best enjoyed as a companion to the manga.

Etherion

Ok. Ok. After a couple of recommendations by some Youtubers (like SourceFed, MatPat and MuchingOrange) I finally started watching Erased, they described it as a time-travelling mystery which got me hooked right away. And so, I started watching it and little did I know that Erased will soon become one of MY MOST favorite anime EVER. Like, EVER.

Spoiler:

9/10

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years

• I know I would have agreed with you, but really? Erased was predictable, inconsistent and no one had any real character. I didn't like it, after sitting on it for a while. It looked nice for the first two episodes, then the foreshadowing and everything dropped significantly, and it was evident characters like Kenya were two dimensional.

Back