• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BONSAI!! Does anyone grow/like Bonsai?

Years
    Hey guys,
    Wasn't sure where to put this, so putting it here....
    I grow bonsai, and bonsai is basically my passion in life.
    For those who don't what bonsai is, it is a living artform. Growing miniature, styled trees in pots. Not just crappy, garden pots, but beautiful bonsai pots.
    The word bonsai literally translates to "tree in pot/ray" from japanese, but it is not so simple...
    I won't go into a history lesson/lecture now though :P
    Just wandering if anyone else shares my love of bonsai??
    My goal in the enxt 7-10 years to be running my own full-time bonsai business/nursery.
    :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    My grandma got a bonsai (ficus or fucus... something, can't remember we lost the box) and she always goes on about how she can never keep a plant alive so it's now been dumped on me to look after.

It's doing fine, I think? Grew a whole lot of new shoots and I'm thinking it's looking a bit crowded in some places.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I've received a couple as gifts in the past, but no matter how attentively I cared for them they would always dry up and die. I suppose I'm just not in the right climate for bonsai.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years
    I don't even know what Bonsai is exactly... *_*

But I remember having a Bonsai orange tree or something like that. It used to have really small oranges, and I loved eating them.

On the other hand it could be something totally different.

Years
    Tatsujin - Hehe that's kinda cool!! Bonsly is pretty cool ;) He does look kinda like a bonsai!
    Touko - I'm not sue what pet societ is, but I'm guessing it's a game?? Virtual bonsai is better than none at all ;)
    Beechlgz - Ficus (which are fig trees) are actually my favourite species ;) I love them!! Can't get enough of them lol. Post a pic up of it f you want some advice :)
    Kaga - any climate can grow bonsai, you just need to pick plants that will grow well in your area. Things like figs, bouganvillea and juniper are quite hard in most areas :) only let the soil dry out a little before watering.
    renii - no, no.. you are on the right track :) fruit and flowers aren't any smaller on bonsai, but you can get certain varieties of tree with smalle fruit, but it's not because they are a bonsai.

I'll add a pic of one of mine that I had in a show recently :)

Mine from the show the club I am puts on annually :D Was in April.
    Mine was the only tree in this style on display :D
    BONSAI!! Does anyone grow/like Bonsai?

Last edited:

Hassan_Abdillah

Wayfarer
    Years
    This thread takes me back.

My granpa was a really interesting person, he had loads of hobbies after his retirement. One of those hobbies was bonsai. He was basically a bonsai-freak. A tree-freak, being more general. Our place used to be filled with all sorts of trees in pots of all shapes and sizes. I was ten when he passed away, prior to that I helped him out with the plants, and I was a big fan of him and his bonsais (plural?). I even did a science project on bonsai in 6th grade. Didnt win though :-p

Its been quite a while since then I don't really remember anything I knew about the issue. I can however still picture the fun bonsai-making days, when granpa used to get a biiiiiig tub of water, and trim the roots etc of the plants and replant them in other pots. Him and I even went to bonsai fairs and stuff.

We used to have small versions of rubber trees, tamarind trees, even banyan trees. Some of them are still alive, and now granma looks after them.

Anyways, thanks a lot for opening this thread, Nafe. Really took me back, praise God :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i've always adored bonsais but i've never had the room to grow them. i know a place where i can get them, but i need the space and ambition to learn more about them before i get one. i wish i knew more about plants in general because i really would like to have a variety of them all over the place.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Never grown it, but I have seen it before. My uncle owns about 20 give or take that are spread around his house. It really compliments his place. And I'd like to grow one someday, depending on how much they cost.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I've never grown one. I don't have the time to care for a Bonsai, and I'd probably kill one. :(

Years
    Hassan - You're very welcome :D I'm glad to hear that you had an interest in this passion of mine through your grandpa :D The banyan you speak of is call a ficus. I have plenty of ficus.
    In total I have somewhere between 70-80 trees.
    poopnoodle - you don't need alot of space, persay. not if you only want a few. But space is good. They need to be outside and get alot of sunlight.
    I'm happy to help you learn anything you might wanna know :)
    Charizard - Cost is greatly variable. Some very old, greatly styled trees can be worth several thousand dollars, or you can buy untrained material to start one yourself from as little as $5 :) I've personally never bought a finished tree, always buy stock and make my own :) It's much cheaper AND more satisfying that way ^_^
    Para-dox - LOL what do you mean don't have the time? We all have 24hrs in a day, no one has more than anyone else :) I work for 11of them and still ahve time to keep 70 trees alive. If you want one, you find a spare 5mons a day. They don't even need mins most days, if you only have one. As long as it gets alot of sunlight and is outside in the fresh air, i youw ater it when it starts to dry out a smidge (not very dry) and fertilise it sometimes, it will stay alive :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Umm.... No, I don't have a bonsai tree, sorry. Don't really care about them to be honest, but I like how they look.

Years
    I'm not quite sure why you're apologizing, but no worries. I really didn't expect a great deal of people to be interested in bonsai. Not every one likes the same thing and shares the same hobbies. I'm sure that there would be some of your interests and hobbies that I don't care about :)
    I just wanted to share my passion :) I will upload some more pics later

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    My gran has a Bonsai. It's pretty cool, but I have no intention of growing one myself. Knowing my track record with plants, it would shrivel up and die within about a week or so!

Posting Binge: 27/40

Years
    LOL I'm sure you could keep one alive for more than that :P
    It's funny how it is msotly older people into. I'm happy to see that more younger people seem to be getting into bonsai, but having said that, I'm still the youngest at my bonsai club. Maybe that will start to change as I am now on the committee :D

Back