• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Breaking the rules.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." (Pablo Picasso) is kinda the quote I've kinda lived with since I started to study any form of art and design. Unlike things like maths and some sciences, creativity isn't a simple yes or no answer. It's easy to stay within rules given, but where's the fun in that?

When it comes to art I don't think as much as I do design since design is also a lot to do with solving problems.
When you break rules it offers you more challenges and gives you more artistic opportunities. It takes you out of your comfort zone and gets you something fresh - not to mention breaking rules also helps you to design with more confidence.

There's a lot of rules that I do stick to such as:
"Have Purposeful Hierarchy"
"Never Use Display Fonts For Body Copy"
"Consider Your Medium"

And sometime's there's some rules that I'll either follow or break depending on what I'm creating such as:
"Don't Disregard Readability/Legibility For Aesthetic Reasons"
"Always Design For An Audience"
"Follow the brief"
"Form follows function"

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
there are rules when it comes to making graphics?
i don't think so
everybody has their own style and way of doing things

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Unless I or someone else is going for a specific tag style, I tend to disregard the guidelines that most tag artists like to pay attention to mostly because I was a bit disillusioned with them by the end of my time making graphics regularly. I pay attention to them in my own graphics to some extent, but only as things to hold on to when I'm lost in the sea of my layers and don't know what I'm going for. Right now I have like, one foot in the lighting/depth/flow/focal-is-king boat and one foot in the it-doesn't-matter-what-it-looks-like-as-long-as-aesthetically-it's-bomb-af boat. But I think peoples' opinions of what constitutes a good tag are different, since I've certainly never heard anyone say that simple text is always the best- in fact I think overly simple text is usually a crippling point for a lot of tags haha...!

When it comes to digital art though, I don't know much about there being any rules besides like, anatomy-- in which case I definitely don't go CLAMP per say, but I like odd anatomy if the basics aren't messed up. Nightmare Before Christmas and other hyper elongated limbs are always really stylish in my opinion, and no matter how much people make fun of xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir-- CLAMP's style is beautiful. The mastery of it can really be seen in Kobato, and so I think rules-- if there even are any in digital art-- should definitely be flouted in favor of aesthetics!

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Oh- okay yeah about 90% of the time inner glow and drop shadows look trashy af LOL but if you know how to execute the effect anything is game imo haha. It just depends on the overall aesthetic and those are just two effects that people mess up the most I think haha

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
I'm not quite sure actually if I remember seeing any debates or anything specifically on text. I remember when I first started majority of the people who I looked at did use a lot of simple serif or san-serif fonts so I picked that up by habit naturally to use them on my own tags.

Text is really the make or break point of the tag if you choose to add it in. However, I don't think there should be a rule that strictly says that simple text will always be the best choice. Every piece or graphics is it's own in it's own way, and if you can make more complex text work out, then by means go for it.

Back