• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building my new computer

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    Athlon II Dual Core 2.8 Ghrtz
    Asus Motherboard
    EVGA Videocard
    4 GB ram

Etc etc.

The computer I have is problematic. And frankly I think it's going to die now.
    Along with the Powersource, the Ram, Windows 7 and the Hard Drive, this wil cost 700 dollars. Compared to my current PC, including my Laptop it will be substantially superior. (Which, if this is actually a crappy build? It's still saying alot!)

*Sigh*

Anybody else have any computer related triumphs and woes?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Athlon II Dual Core 2.8 Ghrtz
    Asus Motherboard
    EVGA Videocard
    4 GB ram

Etc etc.

The computer I have is problematic. And frankly I think it's going to die now.
    Along with the Powersource, the Ram, Windows 7 and the Hard Drive, this wil cost 700 dollars. Compared to my current PC, including my Laptop it will be substantially superior. (Which, if this is actually a crappy build? It's still saying alot!)

*Sigh*

Anybody else have any computer related triumphs and woes?
    Your processor is a bit weak, and the price shouldn't come near $700 if you're building yourself.

As for woes, all my equipment has been breaking recently. Plus, I borrowed a friend's mouse (my old one broke), and it just disappeared, which makes me very unhappy. I'll be checking at home this weekend, but I'm kind of worried I'll have to buy him a new one in addition to the one I just bought myself.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    It's weak compared to what's available, but what do I need a Quad for anyway?

I think I'd barely notice the difference. Newegg is where I'm getting the parts, and I'm always willing to take a recommendation to get the same or more for less.

Last edited:
    Years

I think I'd barely notice the difference. Newegg is where I'm getting the parts, and I'm always willing to take a recommendation to get the same or more for less.
    If you're gaming or doing anything remotely processor-intensive, consider going with a Phenom II X2 555/550. They clock in at 3.2/3.0 GHz respectively (iirc) and have a 7 MB cache, as opposed to the Athlon's 1/2MB. That really makes a difference. You can always go with an Athlon X4 if you need. They work out about the same as the Phenom X2, price-wise. Although if you want a quiet machine, I'd be careful going with the AMD X4s on their stock coolers. I've got a Phenom X4 965 @ 3.6GHz and it's bloody noisy on the stock cooler, I just haven't had the chance to upgrade to something quieter. You can pick up great coolers for ~$30 bucks.

Give us a bit of an idea of what you want to be doing with it - then we can get a better idea of what you need. If you're gaming, you want to go with a nVidia Geforce 250 or ATI Radeon 5750 or better, depending on budget.

twocows

Years

I didn't mean get a quad, I'm not a fan of them atm either. I meant what Archer said.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    I'm playing Star Trek Online which is a bit too much for my Computer that's going down the way of the scrap heap soon. I usually just play MMOs and run programs like CS2 and Poser. Among other things. My old computer handle it, but It's about to die within the next year I think.

So a Phenom two is the way to go, eh?
    What about Motherboards to go with it?

twocows

Years
    I'm playing Star Trek Online which is a bit too much for my Computer that's going down the way of the scrap heap soon. I usually just play MMOs and run programs like CS2 and Poser. Among other things. My old computer handle it, but It's about to die within the next year I think.

So a Phenom two is the way to go, eh?
    What about Motherboards to go with it?
    If you don't want your old computer, you could always donate it. There are a lot of groups that take old computers and re-purpose them for poorer families, and you don't have to worry about the cost of disposal (computers have to be disposed in a special way in many places because the composition of many computer parts include heavy metals).

Or I'll take it, if you want. I'm a big fan of old computers. :D

Personally, I prefer Intel's i5 line of dual core processors over anything AMD is currently making. As for a motherboard, I'd suggest Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI (my favorite is Asus, especially for higher end boards).

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    Okay, so what's the recommended gaming build for under 700? I'm keeping the case I have, so I'm just replacing the parts.

twocows

Years
    Okay, so what's the recommended gaming build for under 700? I'm keeping the case I have, so I'm just replacing the parts.
    Processor, $200
    Good graphics card, $200, or passable graphics card, $100
    Motherboard needs to be correct form factor. If your case can accept MicroATX (likely), try one of these: MSI, GIGABYTE (both are ~$100). I recommend the MSI.
    Memory: you have to do your own work here; you're probably going to want two 2GB 240-pin modules, preferably DDR3, but it depends on what motherboard you get.
    Power supply: you'll need to figure out the power supply on your own; you definitely won't need more than 800W and probably won't need more than 600W.

If you don't want to build your own, you can try here, you can build a pretty good computer for about $800.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    Might actually do that.

Do you shop there ever? The customer reviews aren't that bad, as compared to Ibuypower.

Last edited:
    Years
    Yeah, unless you're adding a aftermarket HSF and overclocking, then an i5 or even a high-end Core 2 Duo will service you nicely. Their stock coolers are far better.

The graphics card depends on your screen resolution, as much as the games you're playing. If you're using a 1900x1080 or 1680x1200 monitor, you'll need a 256-bit card.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    Their good reviews are good, but when you look at the bad reviews- Nightmares. =/

I don't know if I want to risk it.

Years
    I successfully overclocked on my first go. Now that is a feat!
    By how much? It's easy to get a small increase, but if you start gaining a few hundred MHz, then it's worth it. And someone should revive, remake the "Post your computer" thread.

Oh, what did you decide on, thekidflash?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    I havn't decided on anything yet. I'm really confused. If I buy the build I have in my newegg cart I can have it all buy Wednesday to build over the weekend.

If I go with Cyberpowerpc, which I have a problem with because I really don't trust them, and they don't seem to have the parts I want- It'll take two weeks.

More over I would really like to keep my case because that I way I can also keep my data HD and transfer programs faster.

But then the computers at Cyberpower would be prebuilt and I wouldn't have to worry about breaking things since I've never done this before.

It's a dilemma.

Years
    I havn't decided on anything yet. I'm really confused. If I buy the build I have in my newegg cart I can have it all buy Wednesday to build over the weekend.

If I go with Cyberpowerpc, which I have a problem with because I really don't trust them, and they don't seem to have the parts I want- It'll take two weeks.

More over I would really like to keep my case because that I way I can also keep my data HD and transfer programs faster.

But then the computers at Cyberpower would be prebuilt and I wouldn't have to worry about breaking things since I've never done this before.

It's a dilemma.
    I meant had you decided on the contents of the build yet? What are the contents of your newegg cart?

Oh, I'd stick with rebuilding old machines if you've never done a build before. At least until you're confident that you won't break anything. And what's stopping you transferring the old HDD over as a data drive in the new machine? What's your old case?

Years
    The 8800 is huge, and inefficient. I'd suggest the ATI 5750 at a similar price mark. Also, Corsair RAM is a rip off. Kingston and G-Skill are reliable and much cheaper.

twocows

Years
    After some recent discussion, I've been convinced that ATI has a better product line than Nvidia at the moment. I agree with Archer's suggestion, though I might suggest upping it to the 5770 if you can afford it (it's a very nice card). If you're going with a 4770, definitely get this one, since it has a lifetime warranty (and don't forget to send in for the rebate).

I also agree that Corsair is a ripoff; my personal suggestion is Kingston.

If your computer is an ATX form factor, I believe you should also be able to install a microATX board, since it maintains backwards compatibility, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
    Back