• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle? Who is the BEST Kanto starter?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I like Charmander the best out of the three, but I understand it might not be the best choice competitively speaking - in Gen I at least.

Still, if you feel like using cheap tactics, Charizard is perfect for X Accuracy + Fissure spam in the Elite Four. It should be able to OHKO a lot of things, and what it can't kill will probably go down very fast to a well placed physical move like Hyper Beam, or Earthquake.

Years
  • I honestly think it comes down to personal preference like Apple and Android. Bulbasaur was the first I ever used. Charmander was a great challenge for the first gym leader. I like Squirtle's design a lot, (Not necessarily in the 1st gen game graphics, but yea.)

Years
  • one other reason i like Bulbasaur best is because i legit feel like Squirtle's and Charmander's face look way too similar, almost copy pasted or something. i think it's the eyes...

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
    Years
  • I absolutely prefer Bulbasaur in gen 1. The auto-crit is sooo helpful, and Sleep Powder is invaluable. The issue with Squirtle is that it's on par with/outclassed by Lapras, Gyarados, Starmie, etc. Venusaur is the best in-game grass type by a mile. So assuming you're picking one of those, I see no reason to pick another starter if building a full team. Buuuut if you are solo-running then without a doubt Squrtle.

Back