• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can Pokemon Move to Higher Consoles?

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    Can Pokemon Move to Higher Consoles?

Consoles mainly such as the PC, PS, Xbox.

From my Perspective, I DO NOT want this to happen. I find Pokemon more fun, deep, and complex on a simpler system like a DS and such. I would also dislike it if it was made into 3D, that is because I believe that 3D complexity would make it hard to design and animate every single 649 Pokemons and Animate them along 500 Moves and Idle animation D: That's a Nightmare for developers O_O

So can we expect that shift, I don't think the DS will stay decades, nor will the 3DS. Are they gonna continue implementing the main games on these simpler devices?
    And Most importantly, were do you side, higher consoles or against them?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Sure, anything in theory 'can' jump consoles, and it's happened before. But Pokemon? One of the best selling game franchises around for many years and still pulling millions of sales for Nintendo? Nintendo ain't going to be letting go of that cash cow any time soon, certainly, and I doubt they will in many years time either.

As for a move to the Wii or the next home console by nintendo for the main games... that will only happen if Game Freak decided to stop doing handhelds, which I also think unlikely (they said so themselves in interviews that they have no plans to make anything for the home console). And when the 3DS has its run they'll likely just go to the next handheld console by Nintendo. That and part of what makes Pokemon work is the fact it fits handheld consoles pretty well.

(Also unsure of the need of the unrelated giant picture of Reshiram there for the topic. =p)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    In my mind, I know that the main Pokemon games are probably always going to be on handheld Nintendo consoles; in my heart, on the other hand, (and I can't believe I said the phrase 'in my heart'!) I really would like to see the same Pokemon gameplay up on a television screen or hologram-3D-mind-meld-thing or whatever the future of console video gaming is. I've said on numerous occasions that the basic structure of the Pokemon narrative needs to evolve if it doesn't want to hemorrhage fans, and while I don't think the same will happen if it stays on portable devices, I do think that it would be of great benefit in the long term if the idea was floated around. But, that's just me... I imagine I'll be in the minority on this one.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I'd say I would prefer it to stay on Nintendo consoles. I guess you could just say it's more fun on a handheld device, rather than spending time sitting in front of a TV. However, having a completely 3D mainstream game would make the whole thing very fun and interesting. It makes the Pokemon world seem less flat, in a sense.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    Pokemon would just get major heat on it by CoD/GoW/BF/AC/Insert random popular PS3/360 game here/ players if it moved to Xbox or PS3.

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
    I'd love to see some (truly) new life breathed into Pokemon. The DS line it's on is nice and all - it's definitely pleased the dedicated fans and brought some new ones in - but it's been moving at a terribly lazy pace over the years. I think I've mentioned on another thread, Pokemon hasn't grown with me. Black and White were mostly nostalgia with pretty ribbons on it.

I have zero reservations about everything from a complete rework of the battle system to trying genres Pokemon has yet to branch out into, let alone a jump to new consoles. I don't think it would be a good idea to abandon the traditional games altogether, though. That's what's been bringing home the bacon.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    They could ported to console, but it clearly not something outside Nintendo's consoles. Its impossible for them to let go one of their flagship series while they're not experiencing financial trouble or some sort.
    If you mean by the Main Game ported to console, yes, its better to stay in handheld.
    But if we take to wider horizon, it could work really.
    The game itself must be the more complex version than those in handhelds. That is a must since console hold more power than a handhelds.
    The game could be total spin-offs or still related to the main game.

I'd love to see some (truly) new life breathed into Pokemon. The DS line it's on is nice and all - it's definitely pleased the dedicated fans and brought some new ones in - but it's been moving at a terribly lazy pace over the years. I think I've mentioned on another thread, Pokemon hasn't grown with me. Black and White were mostly nostalgia with pretty ribbons on it.

I have zero reservations about everything from a complete rework of the battle system to trying genres Pokemon has yet to branch out into, let alone a jump to new consoles. I don't think it would be a good idea to abandon the traditional games altogether, though. That's what's been bringing home the bacon.
    QFT
    Pokemon doesn't make any groundbreaking change since generation III(by changing the whole IV and EV system).
    It just keep stalling these following years. Hoping for battle system to change or at least to be improved is just like wishing for hell to freeze.

Although, by making a port console it doesn't mean it have to abandon the portable version all over.

In my mind, I know that the main Pokemon games are probably always going to be on handheld Nintendo consoles; in my heart, on the other hand, (and I can't believe I said the phrase 'in my heart'!) I really would like to see the same Pokemon gameplay up on a television screen or hologram-3D-mind-meld-thing or whatever the future of console video gaming is. I've said on numerous occasions that the basic structure of the Pokemon narrative needs to evolve if it doesn't want to hemorrhage fans, and while I don't think the same will happen if it stays on portable devices, I do think that it would be of great benefit in the long term if the idea was floated around. But, that's just me... I imagine I'll be in the minority on this one.
    IMO, Pokemon narratives are among the worst from the biggies franchises.
    It is not because the limitation that make Pokemon narration that bad.
    It just Game Freak doesn't really put much effort developing the narratives.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I would also dislike it if it was made into 3D, that is because I believe that 3D complexity would make it hard to design and animate every single 649 Pokemons and Animate them along 500 Moves and Idle animation D: That's a Nightmare for developers O_O

Honestly? You've got it completely opposite of what actually happens.

Drawing sprites is time consuming, space consuming, memory consuming (I'm amazed the DS managed to hold six Pokémon sprites on-screen at once). Even a very skilled artist has their limits. With Pokémon currently, they need to draw over 1,300 sprites just to cover every Pokémon's front and back pose. For every additional animation you want them to portray, be that attacking, dodging, taking damage, etc - in most cases you need to double the number of sprites that need to be drawn. If you tried hiring more and more artists, you then need to deal with the logistics of a massive team of artists, all of whom have varying styles and skill levels, producing sprites that have to all match with each other.

In contrast, once you've created a 3D graphic, viewing them from any angle and creating animation cycles is much, much quicker than drawing new sprites every time you want to portray another action. The Stadium series have always given Pokémon basic animations for movement, attacking and defending when handheld Pokémon has only just started giving Pokémon a simple waiting animation.

Nobody can make a game with fully animated 2D sprites on the scale of Pokémon. The closest example of a 2D RPG would be the Disgaea games or similar, but there are massive differences between the two. For one, there are substantially less monster and player classes in total than there are Pokémon. Secondly, the majority of the main cast of these games are humans or human-shaped thereof - this means they can all share the same base sprites but with different clothes, faces and hair drawn on top of them.

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    Drawing sprites is time consuming, space consuming, memory consuming (I'm amazed the DS managed to hold six Pokémon sprites on-screen at once). Even a very skilled artist has their limits. With Pokémon currently, they need to draw over 1,300 sprites just to cover every Pokémon's front and back pose.

Offfffff! Can't disagree...but I didn't say I wanted animations for the Handled devices :P Though its not up to me to decide.....

Your right, animating a 3D Model is easier but what I meant is....since the game would be in a platform like PC and such, the game needs to be more "complex" , which means they should add more realistic and tons of animations. Since handled deal with simpler system, I BELIEVE, moves animation are unnecessary. I am not saying they would do such thing, But I think its better.....

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Since handled deal with simpler system, I BELIEVE, moves animation are unnecessary. I am not saying they would do such thing, But I think its better.....

This isn't really the case. Look at the more graphically impressive RPGs on the DS, like Dragon Quest IX, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and Final Fantasy IV DS. They already have animated battle sequences with basic animations for performing a few types of attacks and reacting to being hit - similar to the battles in Pokémon Stadium.

We've reached the point now where you can't get away with making a big budget RPG and still have static sprites over battles. Making games is always a process of keeping up with your competition and what the technology you're using allows you to do.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    /Implying/ the Wii is not a "higher" console? >.>

Pokemon has already moved to home systems. Just most of the games stick with mobile. We can probably look forward to a Gen 5 sequel to Battle Revolution at some point, on the Wii/Wii-U, and we might even get lucky enough to get home console remakes of the main series...on the Wii/Wii-U.

There's really almost no chance of them submitting them to any other console though. =/ Exclusivity and all.

Back