• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we be clear? Blue vs. Green F

What do we call the Female Gen 1 trainer here?

• Green

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 35 56.5%

• Total voters

Mileyangel

Inuyasha Fan
    Years
    Believe me, Green isn't the only occurrence in fiction where the name doesn't suit the gender of the character.

Infact colours as names is weird enough as it is, don't you think?
    I don't get why a colour based name suiting a character is such a big deal when we have extremely girly guys called Sora or Yuri.

Or heck, a guy called Pearl.

That's far more worrying.

Don't forget about Ruby!! I thought there were TWO female protagonists when I first heard about the RS arc!

Mirby

Big ol' nerd
    Years
    I call her Green because that's what I got used to calling her upon reading it, and I went through a brief phase where I changed my nick on a forum to Green. And does that gender marker say male? No. It does not.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Blue, because Green has always been the rival's name to me. I've heard them that way from the get go, and I'm just too used to it now to change. 'Blue' sounds entirely female to me, as well. And 'Green' seems more male, and always makes me think of Gary / Shigeru's counterpart. :/ I can't switch 'em now.

Years
    I'm kinda mixed up between the two.

Like Drew said, Blue sounds / seems feminine to me but at the same time I think of Gary when I hear blue because of the english version of the games. :x

Green sounds too masculine.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Her name is Blue :P
    It was in the Pokemon special manga, so it shall always be Blue to me.

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
    Actually another reason I just though of (why didn't I think of it before)

Green is much closer to Leaf (for obvious reasons), which the FRLG female protag is known as pretty much worldwide at this point (even her artwork on Pixiv is tagged as Leaf)

And Leaf is arguably an even more feminine name than Blue.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    People keep saying that Blue is a more feminine name, and Green more masculine. What? They're colors, not "Biff" and "Tiffany"!

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Green, because that's her official English name.

As far as I'm concerned the moment I start calling her Blue I may aswell stop using Brock/Misty/Sabrina and start using Takeshi/Kasumi/Natsumi instead.

And I'm not gonna be doing that. I'm obsessively consistent.
    So even if Blue wins the poll, I'm going to keep calling her Green because as far as I'm concerned that's her name ._.

You know what? I like your logic on the whole thing, because that's like, exactly how I look at it. I call her Green just because it's her English name, and I'm so used to it.

My god, I have no idea where people are getting these 'green sounds more manly than blue!' thing. That's not true. I have always believed just the opposite. Green sounds much, much more girly to me. lol

I'm probably going to always call her Green unless I just kind of... Don't want to anymore.

Mirby

Big ol' nerd
    Years
    Yeah, Green does sound more feminine. And there's the whole "Green with envy/jealously" thing that fits her, seeing as she steals Red's badges and stuff.

Also, it works if you look at the games. America got Red and Blue, and we knew the character designs used (Red being the protag and Blue being Gary Oak). But the third character design, the girl, and the one that was used for Green, was never seen in America. Neither was Pokémon Green. For that reason alone, if not for any other, I feel that Green is a much better name for her than Blue. Wouldn't you agree?

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Blue suits her far more than Green does.

And even if the names are colours, I'd still associate 'Blue' as feminine and 'Green' as masculine.

pokénerdette

Insane Eccentric
    Years

You know what? I like your logic on the whole thing, because that's like, exactly how I look at it. I call her Green just because it's her English name, and I'm so used to it.

My god, I have no idea where people are getting these 'green sounds more manly than blue!' thing. That's not true. I have always believed just the opposite. Green sounds much, much more girly to me. lol

I'm probably going to always call her Green unless I just kind of... Don't want to anymore.

Most of you probably already know that PokéSpe is Japanese. Heck, the whole entire Pokémon franchise is Japanese. I call her by her original name, which is Blue.

But people can call her whatever they like.

I blame the translators who think that the colors red and blue are better pairs/opposites or whatever you call it than red and green. They're confusing so many people x3

And I have no clue about the "Blue" sounds more feminine than "Green" or vice versa.

Harumi Fujyoshi

Ichiban fujyoshi desu!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2015
    I call her Blue for the sole reason that I'm really, really used to it now. The first time I read the manga, it was Blue. About every single fanfiction I've read uses Blue and in general I just can't get that idea out. I'm not annoyed by people who use Green however, as long as it's clear who they mean, why should I care? It's just a little awkward to my mind >___<

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
    I heard Blue used first, so that sorta stuck. It is more girly too. I find Green hard to imagine as a name in general, just does'nt fit for me.

Citrus Knight

you've got bruises&&bitemarks
    Years
    Actually my roleplay group and I call her Leaf now, but when I'm talking with anybody else I'll just call her Blue. I much prefer going by her original name.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    well the the games set in Johto call the rival BLUE, so I don't call the girl blue-To me, she is Leaf

Ayselipera

I've always called the female Blue. Even though I heard Blue as the rivals name first. As other people said before me Blue just seems more feminine to me. While Green really reminds me of a male figure.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I call the female Gen I girl Green because I have the first few volumes of Pokemon Special (and it called her Green).

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
    I mainly call her Green, because the manga translation I read, had that has her name. And its her English name as well. I think Green is a better name, but Blue's a good name as well. Ether one.

Back