• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we get back to animals?

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    My dissatisfaction isn't that Gen III and IV Pokemon for the most part don't look like animals, rather it's just about appearance. Gens III and IV just don't do it for me. IMO, the majority of those two Gens looks ridiculous. I don't know what happened, but I don't like it.

Last edited:

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I can careless about what Pokemon are based on, so long as the design is not horrible.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2010
    I don't see what is so bad about 3rd and 4th gen. Also, think of this:

What animals can they base off? All the one's that people are interested in have been done. Even then, the ones that haven't are too similar to others. I mean, they COULD make a flamingo pokemon, but it doesn't sound like a big hit to me.. :/

manhattan

missing in action
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    My only problem with Generation IV was the ridiculous evolutions that they added to the older Pokémon.

'Nuff said. The newest evolutions were ugly. Like, what the hell were they thinking? Seriously, Nintendo. And I love the 3rd Gen Pokémons, they're probably my faves.

Giblie

Gible Lover
    Years
    I personally like all the generations. I think they shouldn't make the Pokemon ridcuously close related to real life animals. They are supposed to be monsters, aren't they? But there are some pokemon I don't like much in IV like Rhyperior. That one especially. I love Rhydon though!!

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    I love all, and to me, the weirder and unnatural a pokemon be, the more I love it. Besides, pokemon are not animals. They're only based on them.

(Well, except for Probopass and Lickylicky and Bidoof, they're too darn stupid)

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    1st and 2nd gen are more like animals.

Blastoise (cannons?). Magnemite. Grimer. Geodude. Ditto. Porygon. Gastly. Steelix. Unown. Porygon2. Misdreavus. Etc...

And Hitmonchan. Jackie Chan Pokemon? o.0

It's more the design than anything. It's not whether or not they could be real animals, it's whether the Pokemon is appealing to the eye that's causing all this hoopla.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2011
    Dialga and Palkia look like Play-Doh to me...
    And the way they fly is so unrealistic, it annoys me like hell!

Also, some of the Gen IV Pokemon are a little bit too cartoonish

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    As long as they remain diverse and unique I could care less what they are based on, though there are many ideas that remain untouched.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2013
    I don't think dialga and palkia flys they levitate unless u see them flapping some invisible wings just like arceus who also levitates or u can claydol for example im totally fine with all generation except for IV with weird pokemon but its alright since its monsters not animals

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I hate alot of the IV pokemon, they look like they just copy and pasted a bunch of designs then added some spikes to them.

Can we get back to animals?Lucario is the prime example of that

Can we get back to animals?This had me facepalming hard, it looks so dumb.

Years
    Also, some of the Gen IV Pokemon are a little bit too cartoonish

I have to agree.
    Spoiler:

The Red Chain

Uhm.. someone explain to me where generation 4 completely side-tracked from animals.
    90% of the Sinnoh region consists of animal based Pokemon just like all the other regions. x.x;
    Every generation has a group of Pokemon that aren't animal based.
    The 4th generation is not 'side-tracking' from animals.

Who really cares anyway if they come out less and less animal related? This is Pokemon not Animal Planet.
    [jq]I hope gen V has some more animal based pokemon and not ridiculous metal dragons or stupid stuff like that.[/jq]
    Everyone fapped over dragons before and now because they are dragons with metal bodies they are a bad idea..? >_>;
    If you ask me, that was a really nifty change of pace.

Oh yeah, and the games came out what.. 3 years ago? How much longer do you guys plan to complain about the evolutions?
    Fact is they aren't going anywhere no matter how much you whine about em. ]:
    If you would actually give them a chance you'd come to find that some of the evolutions are actually pretty awesome.. like Magnezone for instance.
    All anyone cares about is appearance these days and no one likes change.
    The only real problem with generation four is the fanbase, not the Pokemon. =/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I've already written several articles discussing just this. Luckily, many people got my back and already thoroughly explained that the new Pokemon are no more less consistent in their design than the older generations. Some are based on animals, some aren't. Creativity is alive and well in Game Freak.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Club tail? Ankylasaurus. I like all the Pokemon they are unique the way they are. But, thats just my opinion.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
    That's because they were just owls, seals, crabs, pidgeons, etc. thrown into a fictional world.

I have mixed feelings about all the Pokemon. My favorite designs are between 2nd and 3rd. 1st gen was way too simple, 2nd gen was lacking a bit of creativity. 3rd Gen was good, but I hate the round features we were beginning to see on most Pokemon. Let's just say 4th gen designs were a bit too imaginative...

Round about summing up my opinion, but I'm not ignorant enough to admit that nostalgia is part of it as well. Nostalgia is probably the only reason I love GSC and it's Pokémon, but 4th gen's Pokémon just look utterly stupid. There's not even any need to create new Pokémon (aside from competitive play), they could create good games with the current ones. ROM Hacks show that.

I have to agree.
    Spoiler:

No.
    Spoiler:

Years
    Everyone fapped over dragons before and now because they are dragons with metal bodies they are a bad idea..? >_>;
    If you ask me, that was a really nifty change of pace.

Don't get me wrong, I love the newer Pokemon, but in defense of the people who prefer the older Pokemon, maybe they simply don't like the style of the newer ones.

Here are a few examples of how Pokemon designs have changed, using Pokemon that have similar traits.

Spoiler:

The first thing you might notice is how round and detailed the newer Pokemon are. Some people just like things to be a bit sharper and simple. You could say "Well, Mr. Mime and Jinx were very round", but those Pokemon aren't exactly favorites of the fanbase.
    Another thing you can see is how the newer designs tend to be very vibrant, and utilize more colors. Some people would rather opt for fewer and paler colors.

Designs have changed, and some people just don't like round vibrant features. I suppose the fact that Pokemon follow a new style now, and the fact that some people just refuse to change could involve a lot of nostalgia too.

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Im fond of all the generatin really,some pokemon I have a small dislike for.But not enough to hate them.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I like the older Pokemon because they weren't so generic.
    I don't care what people say, a bird with huge eyebrows is pretty darn original.

The only unorginal Pokemon were those based on legends and Pokemon based on legends aren't ever bad even if they are unorginal, I'm serious. I haven't seen a bad Pokemon yet that was based on a legend.

Back