• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can You Make Diamond?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • According to my chemistry knowledge, diamond is made up of carbon compound by covalent bond.

So, is there any possible idea to make a diamond?

Years
  • To turn ordinary carbon into diamond you need extreme amounts of heat and pressure of the type found below the crust of the Earth. So whilst I don't think manufacturing diamonds is beyond the realm of possibility it's not exactly going to be easy and I don't think we have the capability now either.

Manufacturing diamond would be a ver impractical thing to do economically anyway though. It's not like it would stay as valuable if we started mass producing it, it's valuable because it's so rare. I doubt that selling off man-made diamonds would create enough income to even cover the costs of producing them to begin with.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yes, you can and we do. In fact, since diamonds (and in particular synthetic) are the hardest materials known, a lot of diamond is manufactured to serve in cutting tools. Also in some electronic devices iirc. Lemme google it actually, I don't quite remember details haha.

Okay, yeah. When you synthesize them, you can control their properties a bit better than when they form naturally. Such as hardness and thermal and electronic abilities. It's also not really important to have them be shiny since they're not going to be admired as gems but used as tools (but I think if they are very pure they should be transparent anyways?). Basically, you can synthetically create diamonds purer than naturally occurring ones and that's why they are so hard.

Years
  • Yes, you can and we do. In fact, since diamonds (and in particular synthetic) are the hardest materials known, a lot of diamond is manufactured to serve in cutting tools. Also in some electronic devices iirc. Lemme google it actually, I don't quite remember details haha.

Okay, yeah. When you synthesize them, you can control their properties a bit better than when they form naturally. Such as hardness and thermal and electronic abilities. It's also not really important to have them be shiny since they're not going to be admired as gems but used as tools (but I think if they are very pure they should be transparent anyways?). Basically, you can synthetically create diamonds purer than naturally occurring ones and that's why they are so hard.

Completely forgot diamonds are used in tools lol.

Interesting to hear this though, I had no idea that we actually can and do synthesise diamonds already. How do we go about doing that?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Completely forgot diamonds are used in tools lol.

Interesting to hear this though, I had no idea that we actually can and do synthesise diamonds already. How do we go about doing that?
    There are apparently multiple ways, the most common of which are "High pressure, High temperature" and CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition). Both are described in that wiki page c:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    There are a couple ways. I think you can create a diamond using peanut butter, but idk how.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Yes, you can! I did a couple of weeks ago actually. 8)

...it wasn't very spectacular though. It was only a bit of fine powder of a low quality (containing many diamond-like parts) and heating up gases in such a hot flame isn't all that efficient yet.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yes, you can! I did a couple of weeks ago actually. 8)

...it wasn't very spectacular though. It was only a bit of fine powder of a low quality (containing many diamond-like parts) and heating up gases in such a hot flame isn't all that efficient yet.
    Wow, in school? (:

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Wow, in school? (:

Ayup! My professor did his promotional research on Chemical Vapor Deposition when the technique was still young. We basically repeated his experiments from thirty years ago, but only with one set of parameters. I wouldn't surprise me if we used the exact same apparatus as he did back then.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ayup! My professor did his promotional research on Chemical Vapor Deposition when the technique was still young. We basically repeated his experiments from thirty years ago, but only with one set of parameters. I wouldn't surprise me if we used the exact same apparatus as he did back then.
    That's fascinating! Do you have any articles by him? Or perhaps you could PM me his name, it would be interesting to read more.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • That's fascinating! Do you have any articles by him? Or perhaps you could PM me his name, it would be interesting to read more.

Oh yeah sure, I could PM it to you. Now I don't expect him to look here, but it would be kinda awkward if he finds his name on a random Pokémon forum. xD

Back