• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cannot make a new ability past 255

Years
  • I defined a new ability in the Ability PBS file as number 256
    256,SOULEATER,Soul Eater,"Restores HP if hit by a Ghost-type move."
    However, when I go in-game and use one of the pokemon with that ability, they have a Skill Link instead. I've tried dozens of numbers from 257 to 4554 and it still gives the pokemon another ability that isn't Soul Eater. I've tried it on multiple pokemon as well, and its all the same.
    What is going on?

Last edited:

Telemetius

Tele*
    Years
  • You should be in theory able to make from 1 and 65535 new abilities. If number 256 is giving the pkm the ability 92 what happens when you use number 257? Is it giving the pkm the ability number 93?

Years
  • You should be in theory able to make from 1 and 65535 new abilities. If number 256 is giving the pkm the ability 92 what happens when you use number 257? Is it giving the pkm the ability number 93?
    I thought of that too, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 257 gives me Stench, which is number 1.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Which version of Essentials are you using?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2021
    Far too late for that. I have too many things added in my game and v16 changes too much stuff for my game to be compatible with it.
    As someone who's had to update from v14.1 to 16.2, let me just say that it's not too late. Though tedious and annoying, it is possible to update. All you have to do is check each change in coding you've made, apply the changes to v16, and then when you've got the game running properly, move the assets from your game over to the new engine. Yes, it's a pain, but in the end, it's worth it. I speak from experience.

EDIT: Remember to keep a backup of the older game just in case you missed anything.

Years
  • As someone who's had to update from v14.1 to 16.2, let me just say that it's not too late. Though tedious and annoying, it is possible to update. All you have to do is check each change in coding you've made, apply the changes to v16, and then when you've got the game running properly, move the assets from your game over to the new engine. Yes, it's a pain, but in the end, it's worth it. I speak from experience.

EDIT: Remember to keep a backup of the older game just in case you missed anything.

I don't really think you understand just how much stuff I've added. It would take days of just straight on changing stuff around and moving it before I finished.

I'd like to avoid that if possible, there must be a way to fix this problem I'm having.

Years
  • Hey, this thread is about your ability problem. Let's keep it that way
    ????

Anyway, I did some more messing around and realized that I messed up what number gives me what in my explanation of the problem I was having.
    256 gives me No Ability.
    257 gives me Stench.
    258 gives me Skill Link.

So you would think its in order, because 256 is 0 (no ability) and 257 is 1 (stench), but then 258 gives you 92 (skill link) and the other numbers have no apparent pattern to what ability it replaces my ability with.

So am I just completely boned then? Does nobody know what could be causing this?

Last edited:
    Back