• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CARD GAMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
  • Achan felt the anger of Tacey, of that there was no doubt. His own anger, however, was ignited almost instantly and flamed up to match it. In the back of his mind, he could see the vampire-like figure that symbolized his own inner devil sharpening a thin blade, while in the background the Hero who was his conscience stepped back, allowing his longtime foe to take the front seat at this display of burning rancor. "So, you want me to say what I think of you, do you?" Achan challenged, as a gust of wind knocked his hat to the ground and revealed his fiery-red hair, which seemed to burn as he spoke, his lips dripping with contempt, "You're a spoiled little rich girl with overconfidence that makes me sick and a mouth that'll get you in trouble someday. I can see why your precious daddy hired so many bodyguards for you. With your attitude you'd eventually make somebody angry enough that they wouldn't care that you're a little girl. They'd just beat you up and be done with it. That's the only reason I haven't paid you back for that slap earlier. What? Did you expect me to be afraid just because the big, bad Tacey got a little angry? People like you make me sick." With that, he turned and spat over his shoulder, an international gesture of extreme contempt.

It was at this point that Achan's conscience attempted to make a comment. Um... do you think we should-

Ssh! the devil hissed, his perfectly imagined eyes gleaming red, It's getting really good out there!

Achan raised his left arm, revealing his duel disk, as if to challenge Tacey to a battle. Then, without warning, he lowered it and bowed his head, as if he was consumed by guilt. "But... we're team mates now. Like it or not, we're going to drag each other down if we continue fighting like this. There has to be an end to it somewhere. Look, I'm not saying we should be friends, but we can at least work together, right? Besides, you probably wouldn't want me as a friend if I offered you the choice. I guess what I'm trying to say here is... I'm sorry." His voice slightly broke at the last two words. Then, as an afterthought, he added "And thanks. For the kebab, I mean."

The inner devil was stumped. Wha... How...

And in his mind's eye, Achan high-fived his conscience. And you thought I was going to do something stupid. If we don't make it to the finals, I lose my one and only chance to take Tacey down for good. Why on earth would I do anything that would compromise that?

The inner devil slapped his forehead. Oh. So that's why. Duh!

OOC: Yes, Achan's imagination is this vivid, but no, Hero and Vampire aren't duel spirits. (Oh man, I'm going to bet that nobody saw that coming. XD)

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    That wasn't very entertaining.

Michel remained seated as he watched Achan's response. He had grown excited after seeing the star hat's initial flared reaction, but was quickly disappointed when he apologised immediately afterwards. The tattered blazer's intervention remained unneeded, as Achan's reply had been sufficient enough to quell the situation, even if the princess was still in a huff. She had no reason to continue ranting, the flaming starfish of a hairdo had made an appropriate response, warranted for even her acknowledgement. Still, Tacey remained an enigma in Michel's eyes, and even if her rebuttal were to be one of a passive nature, he knew that her pride would still be influential in her reply, meaning she could say pretty much anything she wanted to. She didn't follow the common etiquette that most of the less fortunate adopted, and in all honesty, neither did he.

Nevertheless, mere disputes between his team mates and the novelty of first meeting one another along with waiting for the remaining slackers who had yet to arrive, were all starting to lose their appeal and ability to hold the rebel blazer's interest. Despite being exposed to constant calculating scenarios everyday, Michel's biggest weakness was one of the key aspects of managing a multimillion dollar company and to being able to handle complicated and sticky situations. And it all derived from one thing; patience. Michel had little of it, and what little he had was now beginning to wear thin, as he continued to sit and wait in the midst of Times Square.

He hadn't joined the tournament to partake in simple card games, he was here for his business, and that was all that really mattered to him. It was true that after meeting some of the people he had met in the tournament; Rurian, Achan, and especially Tacey, his attitude had changed, but only because he had been forced to.

However, the time for personal reflection could be deterred for another time, seeing as he was still waiting for some closure from Achan's and Tacey's argument. He was unsatisfied with the redhead's reply and hoped that Tacey would at least struggle to accept it.

I was hoping for a real fight at least, anything that'd distract me from how long it's taking the other three to arrive. How bothersome…

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • At Achan's response, Tacey's eyes narrowed to the point where they looked like little more than a pair of thin slits. Her anger had been clear to sense before, but now it was practically tangible, like the gathering of energy just before a thunderstorm erupts, and just like they always did in these situations, Pikeru and Curran took up positions on their respective sides of the girl, the latter looking thrilled at the prospect.

"Hells, yeah!" the black-robed spellcaster exclaimed, punching the air with her imaginary fist as she picked up the thoughts in the air, "Tacey hasn't been this riled for ages! This is going to be freakin' awesome!"

"Curran!" Pikeru scolded, her voice betraying her growing anxiety over the situation, but soon realized that her twin was a lost cause and turning to her host instead, "Tacey, please calm down. He said people like you, didn't he? So...it's not that he hates you per-say, you probably just remind him of someone he hates. Besides, I'm sure he has his reasons for-"

"Of course he does." Curran interrupted sarcastically, "And the reason is that he's an ignorant, uppity, dolt of a peasant who needs to be put in his place. Go for it, girl!" she patted Tacey on the shoulder, "Give this lout what for! He has no right to treat you like this!"

"But we should try to be nice to the less fortunate!" Pikeru insisted.

"And a world of good that did!" her less benevolent complement retorted, folding her arms, "She already tried that, and he all but spat in her face in thanks, remember?"

Yes, Tacey concluded as she zoned out the conversation seemingly only being waged inside her head, that was right. She instinctively mimicked the preparation for a duel. That insensitive, insensitive little boy...as if on cue, a dramatic gust of wind swept over them, causing Tacey's hair to stream out behind her in precisely that perfect manner that it had been very expensively styled to do while simultaneously knocking off Achan's hat and revealing his ridiculous hairdo in all its glory. She was going to teach him a lesson, crush him so utterly that he'd never recover. Then maybe next time he would have the sense to say-

"I'm sorry...and thanks. For the kebab, I mean."

For a moment, Tacey seemed practically stunned by this statement, and then - just as suddenly as it had built up - her anger seemed to vanish.

"Well that wasn't so hard, was it?" she inquired, her voice returning to its usual sweet tone, "You are obviously very poorly versed in the ways of etiquette, but...you have a point." she lowered the duel disc, returning her expression to its usual pleasant mode, "I suppose I could forgive your tactlessness this once. Oh and make no mistake: I have every intention of making it to the top, so you had better make sure you don't drag me down." her usual politely detached smile was briefly replaced by something resembling a grin, "I want to have the pleasure of personally humiliating you in the finals, so you had better not go and embarrass yourself before then." she then turned to Michel and Rurian, clapping her hands to signify that the current matter was finished, "Now if you two are quite done watching this little drama, might I suggest that we get back to what we came here for? We're not getting any closer to finding our teammates by standing around like this, you know." with that, she demonstratively strode in a seemingly random direction, "Anybody who wants to get this tournament started, follow me." Oh, sure she was eager to get this tournament underway, but there was another reason for why she wanted to start walking. Well, two of them, actually.

"Tacey, I'm so proud of you!" Pikeru burst out, beaming at the girl as she, "For a moment, I thought for sure you were going to do something terrible to that poor boy!"

"Me too." Curran harrumphed, "What's up with going all soft on him like that?"

'You two both seem to have gotten the wrong idea.' Tacey retorted, her previous serenity restored now that she felt like she was in control of the situation again, 'I have very intention of humiliating that deluded little boy, but I've got to do it in style.' a malicious little grin played on her lips, although it was invisible to the people behind her, 'What better way to put him in his place than utterly crushing at the finals, where the whole world can see? When I'm done with him, he'll be so humiliated that he won't even have the confidence to play solitaire.'

"Well, I still think you two could be good friends." Pikeru insisted, "You two really aren't that differen-"

"Oh stow it, goat-girl." Curran scoffed, "She already made it clear that she's going to put that peasant in his place. Personally, I think a flogging would have been more fun..." she placed her hands behind her head, leaning her head on them as she floated onward, her eyes absently scanning the horizon, "...but I guess that's your call. Just let me out there when it's time; I want a direct attack or two at that washout."

Tacey's smile widened ever so slightly, 'Deal.' she replied wordlessly as both spirits faded from view again. Well, she had certainly gotten some extra motivation out of this little venture, now all she needed was an opponent to went some of it on.

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan half-smiled as Tacey forgave him. As she stated that she wanted to personally humiliate him in the finals, the smile slowly widened into a full-fledged grin. Raising his fist, he gave her a quick thumbs-up. "Don't worry about me messing up. Just concentrate on getting us to the finals. After all, last I checked I'm the only one so far to win a duel for this team," He stated, before adding "Even if it was against a guy whose grandfather was probably named Grog."

THWAM! BANG! CRUNCH!

Achan's head whipped around to the direction of the noise. There, in a nearby alleyway, a wiry boy who was a tad taller then Achan was holding another, younger boy against the wall. The older boy's left hand curled into a fist as he began to interrogate his victim. "I'm not going to ask again. Cough up your cards and your wallet. Go on, do it."

His victim smiled in an eerie, detached manner that vaguely reminded Achan of Tacey's usual expression. "I'm afraid I cannot do that," he stated in a sharp, lilting accent that Achan barely recognized as an Irish brogue, "But I can give you this. Romeo?" As if at the boy's command, an incredibly large bald man wearing a suit similar to that of Tacey's bodyguards appeared seemingly from thin air and slammed his fist into the older boy's stomach before grabbing him and dragging him away, kicking and screaming. The Irish boy slid to the floor, gasping for air. Achan ran over, offering a hand. "Are you okay?"

The boy continued smiling. "Yes, I'm okay. But I seem to be lost. I'm looking for someone called Tacey Edgeworth, you see. Will you be so kind as to direct me to her whereabouts?"

Achan took the kid in. A dark suit, reddish-gold hair, clean-shaven face, and Armani loafers. Achan rolled his eyes slightly before pointing. "She's right there."

The kid in the suit marched off, the duel disk on his arm glinting in the afternoon sun. Achan moaned to himself.

Great. Yet another rich person. Why the heck am I on a team full of rich people?

OOC: Slight exaggeration on the rich people, there. And yes, Alter Ego, this is your requested dueling opponent. Take him on. XD

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Tacey's expression didn't betray even mild interest at the racket going on somewhere behind her. It was peasant business, after all, and thus something for people like...well, like Achan to deal with. Conveniently, the boy proceeded to do just that, at least if that inquiry at the edge of her hearing was anything to go by, and so Tacey saw no need to bother herself with it, instead focusing on finding a suitable opponent. 'Worthy' was obviously a word which couldn't be applied to most people in this crowd - if any of them - but she would at least demand something in the way of fashion sense and personal hygiene. Something like...

"ROMEO! I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU SINCE OUR ACADEMY DAYS! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

Tacey turned sharply on her heel at Raymond's exclamation, ready to give him an earful, but before she could open her mouth, the suit in question had already rushed over to another, this one bald and even more sizable than Raymond, both men briefly hugging each other.

The other suit nodded, "Work." his voice was almost a whisper in comparison to Raymond's, but the smile on his face was just as wide, "The henchman business is a demanding mistress."

"THAT IT IS!" Raymond boomed, "BUT NOT QUITE AS DEMANDING AS-!"

"Ahem!" Tacey gave a dignified but also clearly audible little cough as she walked over to the two, fixing both with her trademark deathstare, "As much as I hate to disrupt your little family reunion, Raymond, I would like to remind you that you are still on duty. And for goodness' sake, stop shouting like that. Oh, I swear you delight in vexing me. Why if I wasn't a lady I would-"

"Ahh...miss Edgeworth, I presume?"

Tacey blinked, turning towards the new source of interruption. It was a boy, and far better dressed than the ones she had had the misfortune of meeting thus far. His hair seemed well cared for too and...well, he seemed a bit above middle class at least. Still, Tacey wasn't going to fully forgive the rude interruption.

"You presume correctly." she remarked in her usual haughty way, holding herself up with her full regal pride, "And whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?"

"Kevin Donovan, at your service." the stranger replied, smoothly grasping her hand and - much to Tacey's amazement - performing a flourishing little bow and kissing it lightly, "And the pleasure is all mine. I certainly hope that Romeo is not bothering you too much? It's so hard to find competent help, alas."

Had she not been so well trained, the girl would probably have stared in amazement. This Kevin, she had to admit, knew his stuff. Even that bow had been perfectly co-ordinated, and his manner was certainly well refined, indicating some form of formal training. Come to think of it, the boy seemed familiar somehow, but she just couldn't place him. Oh well, it probably wasn't anything important. And, well...seeing as how this was the first well-mannered person around she didn't feel like digging too hard for flaws.

"Oh, not to worry." she replied, "Raymond is always causing trouble, some people just are like that." she shot a brief glare at the guard, "But certainly you didn't come here just to discuss incompetent employees?"

For the briefest of moments, Kevin's expression seemed to distort oddly, but he quickly regained his usual polite smile, "Ah, I'm sorry for rambling." he replied, "You see, I've always been a huge fan of yours so..." his glance traveled to the duel disc on his arm, "...would you do me the honor of facing me in a duel?"

Tacey's smile widened further as she heard the word 'fan', but she retained her usual dignified manner as she spoke up, "Well, Mr. Donovan." she replied calmly, "I just so happened to be searching for an opponent, so you're in luck." she raised her duel disc, "I accept, but remember: I don't plan on holding back just because you are an admirer."

Kevin's smile seemed to gain a slightly vicious edge as the boy mirrored her action, "I wouldn't have it any other way." he replied calmly.

For a few moments, the two stood there sizing each other up - as was the custom with such things - before both sprung into action, activating their discs in perfect unison.

"It's time to duel!"

Let's face it: that was the one, true classic start.

Duelist: Tacey

Hand: Royal Bodyguard, Judgment of the Princesses, Trap Jammer, Ebon Magician Curran, Coronation of the Princesses

"I'll let you go first." Tacey remarked oh-so graciously, "It's only fair."

"You're too kind." Kevin replied, taking his first draw before turning to consult the card in his hand, "And I'll start with the Field Spell, Chorus of Sanctuary!" a small side-slot opened on the side of the duel disc, and the boy slipped a card into it. Immediately, the air between the duelists began shimmering, red roses seeming to spring out from the ground, accompanied by a brown-haired cherub who fluttered around the field, chanting in surprisingly high sound quality.

"Of course I'm not done yet." Kevin continued enthusiastically, as if he had just made dueling history with that move, "Next, I summon Stone Statue of the Aztecs!"

The air shimmered once again, a sizable block of green and blue stone fashioned in the shape of a male face with two hands held up in defense materializing on the boy's field, but...Tacey couldn't help giggling at this.

"First lesson, Mr. Donovan." she interrupted, "You can't summon in Defense Position anymore; nice try, though."

"Really?" Kevin looked crestfallen as he watched the rock monster stand there with its feeble three-hundred attack points, "I-I...didn't know." he mumbled in an embarrassed tone, his eyes downcast, "Well, I'll set a card and end my turn."

"My turn." Tacey remarked, "Now sit back and watch how a pro does it. I draw."

Draw Phase->>>> Royal Bodyguard

"Looks like you're in for a rough start." the girl commented, "I summon Ebon Magician Curran, in Attack Position!" the air shimmered once more as the familiar black-robed spellcaster made her entry, a reddish-colored whip in her hands, "But of course it wouldn't do to leave a lady out on her own." she continued conversationally, "Whenever Curran is on my field, I can call any of her trusted bodyguards out as well; and I've got two." she demonstratively held up the monsters, placing one on each of the empty slots surrounding Curran, "I Special Summon two copies of Royal Bodyguard!"

Accompanied by another moment of shimmering, a pair of buff knights donning shining white armor accompanied by a pair of black-plumed helmets and matching black cloaks bearing some form of royal insignia materialized on the field, their demeanor bearing quite a striking resemblance to that of Tacey's suits.

"Now, Curran, sweetie." the girl turned to her duel spirit's hologram, "Reduce that silly statue to rubble."

"Hold it!" Kevin interrupted, "I've got a face-down!"

"Doesn't matter." Tacey remarked haughtily, "Thanks to Royal Bodyguard none of your spell or trap cards can touch Curran."

"I don't plan to." the boy retorted, a smug little grin spreading across his face, "My face-down card is Desert Sunlight!" his grin widened as the holographic sunlight briefly mingled with the real, the stone monster assuming a defensive stance and raising both hands in protection, effortlessly snatching Curran's whip in mid-strike and tossing the sorceress back.

"Oh, and don't forget..." Kevin continued, his previous manner all but gone, "Any damage you take from attacking my Stone Statue is doubled. Adding in my Chorus of Sanctuary Field Spell, I'd say that adds up to a grand total of 2600. Isn't that right, ms. professional?"

Tacey didn't dignify the remark with an answer, merely glaring at the boy as over a quarter of the points on her counter were sapped away in one go, "I set a card and end my turn."

"Aww...what's the matter?" the boy taunted, drawing his next card, "No more words of wisdom for the rookie?"

Surprisingly, Tacey didn't answer, seemingly lost in thought.

"Fine by me." Kevin scoffed, "I summon Gear Golem the Moving Fortress!" the holographic projectors sprung to life yet again, this time resulting in the appearance of a sizable robot of some kind, its thick body - bronze colored, save for the steel-colored parts at its feet and arms - looking vaguely humanoid, save for the multitude of sharp edge and the clumsily large torso, just barely supported by the stumpy feet and hand-like appendages, "Then I switch Stone Statute of the Aztecs into Attack Mode." he followed this action by giving the card on his disc a quarter-turn.

"And now..." his grin grew even more malicious as he held up a green-colored card, "I activate Shield & Sword!"

A decidedly unimaginative blue shimmer briefly enveloped all monsters on the field, "Now of course I could just destroy all monsters on your Field. However...I have a much more amusing idea. I pay 800 Life Points. And now...Gear Golem, attack her directly!"

Accompanied by the noise of creaking machinery, the creature charged forward, darting straight past the other monsters and slamming its holographic body into Tacey's side in a high-speed elbow charge, knocking off another good quarter of her Life Points, "And next, Stone Statue; attack the first Royal Bodyguard!" with a brief rumbling sound, the stone creature set into motion, raising its hands on both sides of one of the armored knights and unceremoniously clamping them together, the creature shattering into yellow particles of of light and vanishing as another 400 was deducted from Tacey.

"So where's your dueling birthright now?" Kevin taunted, "I set a card and-"

"I remember you."

The boy scoffed, "Is that so?"

"You're no fan." the girl replied calmly, still standing proud - as if she'd buckle under some hologram's assault - "You're 'Crash' Davis, former favorite for the Domino City regionals!" she pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Well that took you long enough." Kevin sneered, "But then again, you don't really care who you harm, do you?"

"Harm?" the girl retorted, "Please...all I did was beat you at a card game. Well..." she conceded, "...more like I utterly crushed you, but you're still overreacting."

"Overreacting?!" the boy growled, "I was humiliated at my own home turf! You took my fans! You treated me like dirt! You destroyed me! And now I'm going to return the favor!" his previous smirk slowly returned, "I'll see the famous Tacey Edgeworth disqualified on her first tournament round. Then maybe you'll understand what it feels like to have everything taken from you! Now make your move!"

Tacey rolled her eyes, "Let me see if I got this straight." she said, "You went through the trouble of disguising yourself as someone way beyond your own social class, entered this tournament under a false name, and tracked me down just so you could have a rematch at a children's card game?" she shook her head, "You seriously need a new hobby. My move!"

Draw Phase->>>> Court of Nobles

"Alright..." Tacey began, seemingly unbothered by her less-than-favorable position, "As my first order of business, Curran's effect costs you 300 points for each monster on your field." at this point, dark energy coiled itself around the whip in Curran's hands, lashing out at her opponent, "Next, I think I'll rid the field of that tacky cherub." she pointed her index finger at the sanctuary illustration at this point, "I activate Court of Nobles!"

With a crashing sound, the roses and cherub vanished, soon to be replaced by a neatly trimmed lawn, occupied by equally well cared-for trees cut into various ornate shapes, sturdy castle walls bearing a multitude of colorful banners spouting from all sides and shutting in the battlefield.

"Now isn't that much better?" Tacey remarked pleasantly, "Thanks to my court, all royalty on the field gain a little power boost. But that's not all; I discard Trap Jammer to activate my last spell card for this duel: Coronation of the Princesses. So goodbye Ebon Magician Curran..." A stylish crown suddenly appeared on Curran's head, an intense glow enveloping her before dying down.

"And hello Princess Curran." As the glow died down, Curran seemed to have gone through a change of clothes, her robe now replaced by a frilly black dress, complete with a sizable hat, and the whip replaced by a golden scepter with a light blue stone set at the top, a peculiar rabbit in a black suit standing submissively behind her and holding up the hem of her skirt to keep it from connecting with the dirt.

"Now let's try this again, shall we?" she asked sweetly, "Curran, destroy Gear Golem the Moving Fortress!"

"With pleasure." Curran replied, a grin spreading across her face as she raised the wand and pointed it towards its target, dark energy gathering around the orb and lunging towards the creature.

"I activate Desert Sunlight!" Crash spat out.

"You really are a one-trick pony, aren't you, Davis?" Tacey remarked, shaking her head as the golem switched into a defensive position, a few seconds before shattering into light particles as the energy made contact, "Royal Bodyguard, destroy his Stone Statue!"

The remaining knight nodded, lunging into the air and cutting the statue in half with a diving slash down the middle.

"I end my turn." Tacey remarked, smiling casually.

"Don't act so smug, witch!" Davis retorted as he drew his card, "I've got just the card to put you in your place. I summon another Gear Golem!" another automaton, identical to the one recently destroyed, materialized on the field, "This is it, Edgeworth! I pay 800 life points, then activate Shield & Sword!" the familiar aura once again enveloped all monsters on the field, "Gear Golem, direct attack!"

Tacey merely shook her head, "Please..." she remarked, distaste evident in voice, "Try to make an original move at least once in your life. Something like this: reveal face-down, Judgment of the Princesses!"

Suddenly, chains sprang out, capturing the golem in mid-attack as two buff men - one a knight in standard steel armor and the other an executioner, complete with a menacing axe - appeared on both sides of the creature.

"What's all of this?!" Davis inquired.

"Oh, didn't you know?" Tacey asked in an ominously sweet voice, "In my court, assaulting royalty is a capital crime. I'm afraid that your monster is gone, as are 500 of your Life Points. Curran, if you would be so kind as to pass the judgment?"

The princess nodded, grinning wickedly again as she raised a dainty little hand, pointing the thumb down. On queue, the executioner raised his axe and swung, Davis' monster disappearing in a familiar dispersion of yellow particles.

"No!" the boy growled, "It's not over! I didn't go through all of this to be humiliated again! I won't allow it!"

"You don't seem to have much of a choice." Tacey remarked, "My turn, I believe."

Draw Phase->>>> Royal Emissary

A triumphant little smile spread across her face, "It's over, Davis. I summon Royal Emissary!"

Accompanied by a final blur of air, a new knight appeared on the field, this one bearing a far more decorative suit of armor and carrying himself more proudly than his comrade, a jeweled greatsword in his hands.

"Royal Bodyguard, Royal Emissary, direct attack."

On command, the two knights sprang into action, each striking their target from their respective sides.

"Now Curran, let's send this washout back to the hobby league."

The magician nodded, once again raising her scepter, but this time pointing it straight at the boy on the other side, "Direct attack!"

"Nooo!" Davis shielded his head with both hands, seemingly oblivious to the fact that a hologram couldn't possibly hurt him, "It's NOT FAIR!!"

Tacey harrumphed at the sight, returning her duel disc to stationary as the holograms vanished, "Pitiful..." she muttered with quite considerable distaste before turning to the others, "I'm getting bored." she remarked to no-one in particular, "Come on, let's find someone who actually knows how to play this game."

OOC: Okay, freakin' enormous...on second thought maybe I should have split it up into two parts. xD Anyways, there you have it.

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan stared as "Kevin Donovan" dashed away, struggling to keep himself held high. Great. Just friggin' great. Of all the people I choose to try to break down and humiliate, I have to pick one who actually plays at a level way above mine.

Slowly but surely, Achan's mind kicked in. Somewhere in his spiky-haired head, secret compartments were opening and shutting as he began to analyze the duel. Alright... Tacey may have completely turned the duel around, but that guy wasn't an amateur. His first move, the "Accidental" defense position summon was calculated to trick Tacey into attacking and giving him the advantage. Okay, that was the easy part. His main problem, though was his failure to take Tacey's key monster into account. Whatever her overall strategy is, it has to revolve around Curran. If somebody were to wipe the princess out, Tacey would lose the monster she was trying to protect. Alternatively, the player should have concentrated on destroying Court of Nobles. On the other hand, the duel was pretty much over once Tacey played that card. If he had countered either it or coronation of the Princess, he might have survived long enough to wipe out Tacey's life points. So... an optimal strategy against Tacey would be to destroy her key monster with a spell card, or to remove her field spell advantage before she can use it completely, or simply knock out her life points before she plays it. I can't think of too much in my deck that I could use to do that at the time though... maybe that card? Or that one? Dangit, I wish I had thought to bring more then fifteen of my old cards!

As Achan's head buzzed furiously, somewhere in his subconscious the Hero and Vampire were playing a game of chess.

He's probably dead wrong about the strategy there, you know, The Hero commented. The kid needs to relax a bit.

Good point, The Vampire commented as he licked his lips and moved his piece, But I like the focus on Tacey. It basically ensures that he'll never lose his childish love of vengeance, which I'll be very happy to continue using to manipulate him.

I shudder to think, the Hero commented dryly before moving his bishop. Checkmate. I win.

WHAT? the Vampire screeched before staring at his king. He was, indeed, checkmated. How did I-?

You were open here, here, and here. I thought this game out six moves in advance.

And now you're Achan's skill at games as well, I suppose?

Nope! I'm his ego. The hero replied.

Achan shook his head, as if clearing water from his ears. "I really need to lay off the daydreaming after a duel." he muttered sullenly as he looked around. There was only one other duelist out here: Rurian, another member of the team. Achan made a face. He didn't really care for the "Goth-style" fashion, but most of the emo kids at his school had been able to duel competently, so maybe it balanced out. He wasn't sure. Walking over the the other duelist, he sat down beside him. "Hey. Some duel, right?"

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
  • Rurian noticed Achan sit next to him and replied with a smile. "Yeah, it sure was, wasn't it?" Rurian lied down to notice a small boy standing behind him. The kid obviousily wanted to duel, but he didn't want to make him cry.

Dude, just duel him. Uria spoke inside of his head. It's just a duel, he'll get over it, don't worry.

Rurian sat up to face the kid and replied to the kid's silent request.

"Okay, I'll duel with you... As long as you don't cr-" Rurian never got to finish the sentence. The kid punch him in the spot of the boy's specialness. "I'm not a kid, you dull nut! I'll prove it to ya' in this friggin' duel! 4000 Lifepoints! Let's go!" He activated his duel disk, a KC brand, and raised his fist towards Rurian as he walked away to the other side of the field. "Let's go!"

Rurian gave off an annoyed look and activated his unbranded black duel disk. He inserted his deck and called out the starting two words, "Let's duel!"

Duelist: Rurian
    Hand: Rookie Ninja Shoryu, Fuuma Shuriken, Flare Nymph Katou, Wind Fairy Kazeyuri, Whirlwind Buster

"You go first, since you're younger."

"Fine, let's do this! First I summon Hinotama Soul in attack position, and I'll set one card face down and end my turn, go!"

Drawing Phase: Red-Eyes Black Chick

"Alright, first I play Rookie Ninja Shory in face up attack mode and set two cards face down. And then I activate my equip card, Fuuma Shuriken, which can only be equipped to a monster with 'Ninja'in its name and increases it's attack by 500, and equip it to Shoryu and end my turn. Go!" Rurian looked at Shoryu. Shoryu looked back and nodded.

"Alright, draw! I activate the magic card, Salamandra! It increases a fire monster's attack points by 600! Now my Hinotama is at 1200 Attack points! And next I activate Horn of the Unicorn! This raises Hinotama's attack by 700, making it 1900 now! There, I end my turn!"

Drawing Phase: Ninja Dog Inamaru

"And that was your first mistake, and the only one you could probably make, I summon Ninja Dog Inamaru in Attack mode! When Shoryu is on the field then Inamaru gains 300 defense points, and when Inamaru is on the field, Shoryu ains 300 attack and defense points!" The big white dog and the gold clothed ninja both glowed with a blue energy, also growing stronger by the second till they reached the limit.

Rookie Ninja Shoryu: 2700/2000
    Ninja Dog Inamaru: 1500/1800

"Now I activate my face-down card, Whirlwind Buster! This destroys one monster on my opponent's side of the fiel at the cost of one card in my hand." The burning ball of fire was blown away by a gust of black wind. Rurian discarded a card and stood there till the wind went away.

Hand: Red-Eyes Black Chick, Flare Nymph Katou, Wind Fairy Kazeyuri

"Now, this was a short and pitiful duel. Shoryu, direct attack! Whirlwind of Shadows!" The ninja threw the Fuuma Shuriken to make a black tornado hit the kid, who covered his head, oblivious to the fact that there is no pain in direct attacks.

Kid's LP: 1300

"Now, Inamaru! Roaring Spiral!" The great white wolf-like dog ran at the kid and lunged, spinning like a frisbee that was thrown at great strength. It connected and the kid somehow got knocked over by the attack, even if the attack was a hologram attack.

Uria's LP: 4000
    Kid's LP:0000

"N-noooooo! Waaaaah!" The kid ran off in a commotion. Rurian sat down with a sigh and replied to Achan once more like nothing happened. "Yep, that was quite a duel."

Phanima

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Michel sat transfixed as he watched the conclusion of Tacey's duel. The ending was expected, her opponent had come off as no more than an erratic duellist bent on revenge from the moment the duel started. He held himself well in the beginning, but his true motives were shown when he lost himself and began acting on instincts rather than using his brain. The duel was inevitably decided from the moment Tacey realised his identity and confronted him because of it. His prime strategy was executed well enough to fool any novice duellist, but Duel Monsters wasn't a game solely based on card game strategies. Psychosomatic behaviour and egocentric attitudes played a major role in how a duel is conducted, and inevitably decides who will win and lose. Davis had lost the duel the moment he became too emotional to continue thinking rationally, and Tacey took advantage of it.

Michel scoffed at his own thoughts. Thinking in such a way, he realised that he was supporting the pompous teen who had been ignoring his very existence for the past hour, however he could not, as of yet, disregard her abilities as a duellist based on personal principles. The seven cards she had played during the entire duel did little in revealing her deck and strategy, but gave him some insight as to how she played.

She enforces that pompous spell caster as her leading monster, and centres all of her other cards around it. Effects and attacks become useless against it with those two guards she summoned, and with its own effect, added to the support she gets from the field, she pretty much covers all of the card's weaknesses.

Sighing, the black haired teen replayed the duel once again in his mind. There were still too many unknown factors, as having only used seven cards in her entire deck, Tacey hadn't given away much that he could use against her later on. It would be bothersome if he was to duel her without knowing the full potential of her deck, but he had no need to worry thus far. They were still in the first round of the tournament, with two wins to their name. One more win was all they needed. It was then that Michel received his expecting call, quite conveniently after the previous commotion.

Pulling out his cell, Michel held the four inch phone to his ear, awaiting a response from the other line.

"Michel, I've pinpointed Dogolas' location; Times Square, one hundred and seventy feet northwest of your current position. Several other individuals have been identified in close proximity, possibly members of his team."

"Profile them. I'll be meeting him soon and I'd like to know any outstanding duelling experiences recorded in the last two months."

"Alright Michel, but the database goes back a year, I can bring up the last twelve months if-"

"Just do the two, Jose."

Concluding the call, Michel pocketed the phone and got to his feet, just as Achan took a seat beside Rurian off to his side. He decided not to inform his team about what he was preparing to do, but also had no objections to them questioning him about it. There was little they could do anyway, and with his team mates as witnesses, his position would only become secured, even more so than it currently was.

"Edgeworth, that was a good duel, but I was hoping that you would have lost. I guess I can't count on you for much huh?"

He stood in his place for a mere moment, before turning to his left and began walking, without waiting for a response. His expectation of her losing the duel was false, and now that she had secured the team's second win, he was free to take on his current target; Dogolas, without any restrictions. She had, in the end, helped him in his plan, regardless of whether she was oblivious to the fact or not.

~

Recognising the other teen's flat boxed hair, Michel put on a small smile before greeting his friend of five years. The other nineteen year old known as Dogolas, was indeed with his team, but was no less happy in greeting Michel for the first time in two years.

"It's been a while Dogolas."

"Yeah, it's the same for you Michel."

Looking past his old friend's shoulder, he recognised his primary target, Abby. Fortunately, his suspicions were confirmed from his second call with Jose, who had positively identified the girl as such. Her duelling record only spanned a month into his database, confirming her presence and alliance to Dogolas and his company, Kwok Wares.

"So, how's you're team faring? Any wins yet?"

Michel returned his attention to the situation as Dogolas addressed him, a broad smile spreading across his face.

"We've won two, one more and we're done with this round."

"That's a coincidence, we've won two as well."

The tattered blazer knew where this discussion was heading, and he had every intention of following it through. His friend realised the situation as well, and held up his Duel Disk. Following in turn, Michel activated his forearm's device and pulled his deck from its sheath. Trading cards, the two shuffled one another's deck before returning each one to their respective owners. Dogolas' team stood obediently behind him, wishing him luck and encouragement. Michel cringed at the sight.

"So Michel, this is our first match of the tournament, I hope your team hasn't already lost one, or else you'll be knocked out after this duel."

Michel decided not to reply and watched as the other teen's cheerful expression disappear and was replaced by a dangerous look, only rivalling Michel's insidious thoughts of destroying his five year friend.

OOC: Heh, I was still writing when Omega posted, so just assume that Michel had left when Rurian had his duel. Also, Michel has no intention of duelling and I was hoping that someone would inform him of Rurian's victory before he starts.

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan stared. Rurian had already completed a duel and easily defeated his opponent, but there was something wrong with the set-up. "That kid... he shouldn't be involved in this tournament," he muttered, pacing from side to side. "Hinotama Soul definately isn't a monster anyone serious includes in their deck. It hasn't been seen since before Muto became King of Games in competitive circles. I already checked into that. But why..." his voice trailed off as he chuckled. Here he was, not knowing the first thing about dueling but still playing the analyst. Who did he think he was, Dr. Phil of card games? Most likely the kid was a complete rank amateur who didn't know the first thing about dueling. Either way, the match had been amusing, but it left more then a few questions about Rurian. Those cards were pretty interesting, it was true, but he didn't see how anyone could make a complete ninja deck. He had tried himself, years ago, and it hadn't worked out.

Suddenly, Achan's thoughts were interrupted by an incessant beeping from his pocket. Confused, he removed and re-activated the GPS system. Another E-Mail? he mused as he tapped the appropriate icon. To his surprise, the inbox was empty. But why, then, was it beeping? Activating the GPS function, he was slightly astonished as he noticed the proximity of two red dots to the current location of the team. Red dots, he remembered, represented his team mates. That meant that two of the remaining members of their team were somewhere close by. But why had the GPS bothered warning him? Rolling his eyes, Achan sighed. This was one of those logic breaks that nobody would be able to explain, he was sure of it. Turning around, he began to announce his discovery to the others. "Hey, guys, the other two members of our team are-" he stopped short as Michel began to walk away. What the- where does he think he's going? Achan wondered as he turned to the rest of the group. "Um- I'll be right back, I'm just going to see where Michel's going. Okay?" he stammered before dashing after Michel, careful to keep out of the industrialist's line of sight.

As Achan turned a corner, he slipped behind a nearby mailbox just in time to witness Michel's rendezvous with another, similarly dressed person. Probably, Achan thought bitterly, one just as rich. Biting his tongue, he watched as the two made small talk, then stared in amazement as Michel prepared for a duel. Uh-Oh...

Achan had never broken up a challenge before, but he was prepared to try now. Just as the two seemed ready to fire up their duel disks he leaped from behind the mailbox and shouted "Alright! Stand back! We interrupt this card game for these very important messages!"

Two or three of Dogolas's team turned to stare at Achan. "What the-"

In order to save himself from further humiliation, Achan ran alongside his teammate and clapped a hand over his shoulder. "Listen, Michel, Rurian just won us a third duel against some kid, so we're finished for the round. Unless, of course, you want to take these guys on."

Dogolas stared at Achan. "A friend of yours, Michel?"

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Tacey couldn't help grinning just a bit at the oh-so-calculating looks he was getting from the others. She had barely scraped the surface of her deck's potential in that sorry excuse for a duel, yet by the looks of it Achan at least seemed to think he had her strategy all but figured out. Was he ever in for a surprise. The girl couldn't help giggling at the thought - although to the others it would probably pass as simple glee over her victory. Oh well, even if someone did figure this deck out, she had others. Always keep your opponents guessing, that was basic, and the organizers of this silly little tournament hadn't bothered to ban mid-tournament deck changes. She already had three other decks in store, one for each stop, and if the analysis of her teammates' decks went as she hoped, she would have precisely the cards to counter each one of them by the time they reached Egypt. Ohh...yes! She was brilliant! Her teammates seemed suitably impressed too, judging by the way they-

"Edgeworth, that was a good duel, but I was hoping that you would have lost. I guess I can't count on you for much, huh?"

"Come again?!" the girl's voice rose to dangerously high levels at the teen's impudent remark, but her righteous indignity only caught his departing back. Tacey was far too dignified to run after him, though, settling for a ladylike little harumph and a disapproving glare, "How rude.". She barely spared a glance at Rurian's duel, what little interest she had immediately evaporating at the sight of Hinotama Soul. Davis had been pretty pathetic, but this kid had just set a new low. Rurian's cards were weird, she gave them that, but what little she had seen of his card lineup seemed very scatterbrained, and leaving an empty backfield and nothing but a single big beater on the field was a classical amateur mistake. A halfway decent opponent would have been all over the boy with a copy of Brain Control and taken out his measly 4000 in one fell swoop.

"For once, I agree with him." Tacey remarked at Achan's analysis, casting a sideward glance at Rurian, "You're lucky that your opponent was a rank amateur, but luck won't get our team to the finals, so don't you dare make another lame duck play like that. Entrusting your whole defense to a single, unprotected monster is just asking to have it blown off the field by a card effect, or worse: turned against you. Always end your turn with a face-down, even if it's only a bluff; especially in half-point matches. Seriously..." she scoffed, folding her arms, "...games have been lost on far smaller mistakes than that and the competition is bound to get tougher as we progress."

Just then, Tacey's little GPS gadget came to life with a most aggravating beeping, followed by Achan's hasty departure. Annoyed, Tacey merely glanced at the screen before shutting the device, her mood now improved. So Arma was finally going to duel, eh? Excellent. Still, she supposed that she might as well go observe it first hand.

"Come on." she gestured for Rurian to follow as she proceeded in pursuit of Achan in a swift yet dignified way, "We should stay together to make sure that those two don't get lost."

Last edited:

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
  • Rurian sighed as he got up and back to his usual spot, on the statue. "Yeah, but I don't wanna go too tough on the kid. He was simply a beginner. I have more devastating techniques with my cards, but I'll use them in the near future. I don't wanna spoil the fun of showing others what I'm made of. Heheh." Rurian brought out a box that contained his home made food, still fresh and edible. Not even spoiled by the two day trip trip. The box contained some sushi, dangoes, fried rice, and a majestic-looking king crab that he caught and cooked himself. He took a bite of the sushi and was pleased with the great taste of the cooked fish inside. He closed the box and walked right off the statue, maintaining his balance when he landed.

"Well, we should probably go now. It seems two of our partners are close by." Rurian ran off with his cloak flowing behind him. He didn't care what it took. He would find the mystery girl who might just be his sister. He saw the kid again, crying about the quick loss of the previous match.

Rurian, you know they think you're a beginner, right? Uria spoke inside of his mind. He was sitting in the air right next to Shi. Uria had blond hair and red eyes and had mainly black clothes on, while Shi had orange hair and blue eyes with white clothes. Uria had a black angel wing, Shi with a white one. They do, ya know. spoke Shi. Shi was supposed to be the very shy one, but mainly around Uria. Rurian she was okay with though, since she was his light conscience while Uria was the black, though he doesn't make the bad decisions. Katou the Flare Nymph did.

I say you should friggin' beat them in a duel. It'll prove that you're not a complete beginner and a loser. Plus they think you're a Goth kid. Spoke Flare Nymph Katou. Rurian shook his head and spoke mentally back. I have time for that in the finals. Right now isn't a good time.

Rurian spotted Achan and called out to him. "Hey, wait up!"

Phanima

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    OOC: Haha, I'm sorry, I was expecting just an e-mail or phone call, but I guess the whole troupe came. I wanted to delete my previous post just for simplicity, but I had written a bit too much and I didn't want it to go to waste.

EDITED IC: So she joined Kwok Wares after all.

Michel stood with his sight transfixed on the girl behind his opponent. Her name was Abby, and she had worked for Arma Tech for almost two years before abandoning her position and joining Kwok Wares, the engineering firm run by Dogolas. If this was all she had done, Michel wouldn't have cared less about what had happened to her. Her transfer however, had cost Arma Tech, not only their leading mechanical engineer, but also several projects that were accessible only to her and her department. Simply put, she had sold out his company and joined his opponent's firm with the stolen plans, which were now being made Kwok Wares property.

I was hoping his team would have lost a match, meaning I could've taken him out now…but, I suppose it doesn't matter. Knowing him, he'll easily get into the second round, and since I'm still tied down by Tacey, there's no point in beating him. I'll just make this quick then…

"Let's begin this duel, Michel."

"Alright! Stand back! We interrupt this card game for these very important messages!"

Michel's blue eyes widened as he heard the familiar voice sound behind him. Achan had appeared from behind a mailbox, interrupting the duel's start. It was true that Michel had wanted at least one of his team mates to witness the duel, but Achan seemed determined to put a stop to it.

The situation had become awkward, and in order to relay the attention off of himself, Achan ran up to Michel's side, placing a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Listen, Michel, Rurian just won us a third duel against some kid, so we're finished for the round. Unless, of course, you want to take these guys on."

Michel stopped, struggling to process what he had just heard. Then, as quickly as he had stopped, he returned his attention to his opponent and noticed that several of his team mates were looking curiously at the newly arrived redhead beside him. Dogolas' expression had changed back to the cheery disposition he often adorned in public, and with another broad and disdainful smile, he addressed his rival while pointing an accusing finger towards Achan.

"A friend of yours, Michel?"

Michel shrugged off Achan's grip and deactivated his Duel Disk.

"He's on my team."

The box haired teen narrowed his eyes but continued smiling, his face now uncomfortably contorted. Michel knew very well that Dogolas was more than likely going to find out everything he could about Achan, as well as his other team mates. He knew this because the two thought frighteningly alike, and both of them had similar interests in the tournament. He looked feeble, but he was very dangerous, especially to Michel and his plans.

"Heh, I've just found out that our third win is no longer necessary, so I'm going to have to postpone our match until the next round. You can wait until then I presume?"

His rival scoffed as he resumed his façade, giving the two an unnatural smile.

"Your team may have brought you this far, but next time, I'll make sure that when we duel, there won't be a next round for you."

The blue eyed suit smiled as he heard his opponent's words. He felt his blood rush and the adrenaline building inside of him as he struggled to keep his Duel Disk offline. The thought of taking such a risk was the only thing keeping him composed. Dogolas was never afraid of pushing the limits and challenging Michel whenever he could, and he was the same. But, despite his instinctive thoughts of tearing down his former friend, he knew that if he were to truly surpass the box haired suit, he would do it so that everyone could see, and witness his ultimate triumph.

"Alright, I'm leaving."

Dogolas nodded, his brow furrowed and a broad smile still decorating his face.

Michel turned to the red headed boy who stood beside him, his initial composure now regained.

"Hey Smith...you're embarrassing…"

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • OOC: Okay, Omega this is getting seriously repetitive...I don't mind Achan having a good conscience versus bad conscience thing (Even though Tacey was the only one to have it declared in the actual sign-up), seeing as how it seems to be a behind-the-scenes type plan (Not to mention that ACC is the RP master so I'm not in much of a position to complain) but seriously: Rurian too? And he's making a promise thingie similar to the little unspoken rivalry pact between Tacey and Achan too? No offense, but that's just screaming 'Copycat' at me, and I don't mean it in the capacity of the YGO card. Couldn't you have figured out any other way to go about this? xP

IC:

"Oh for pity's sake." Tacey harrumphed at Rurian's outburst, continuing to walk in a dignified ladylike manner, "Please try to show some dignity. You are ruining my image." this amateur's little cover-up story of having taken it easy (obviously a weak attempt to deny his inferior dueling) was bad enough, but did he really have to shout like that too? How uncouth, didn't the goth kid realize that as a member of her team he was making Tacey look bad by association?

As they approached Michel, she noticed that the crowd he seemed to have been talking with was...leaving? No, NO! This wasn't good at all! This was the complete opposite of good! He was supposed to have dueled! Her glare shot over to Achan. That boy, that boy must have been responsible!

"What's this all about?" the girl demanded as she approached the two, "I thought Michel had finally gone to do his share of the teamwork, but apparently that's not the case?" the girl cast a sideward glance at Michel, adding cheekily, "I guess I can't count on you for much either, huh?" Ohh...how delightful, she had gotten to throw the boy's own words right back in his face. The girl was already in a better mood, although not quite over Achan's bothersome meddling.

"You do realize, of course..." she added to the team in general, "Even though we have assembled our required wins, it would still be in our interest to duel the other teams. The more of them get disqualified the less will be left for us to consider when the competition gets serious. I say we should eliminate as many of them as possible before they have time to prepare for us, and that..." she added in Achan's direction, "...means no more interrupting other people's duels."

Last edited:

Phanima

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Looking up, Michel noticed his two other team mates coming in from the crowd, Rurian jogging slightly as he called out Achan's name and Tacey following close behind at a much more reserved pace.

She looks pleasant…

Michel straightened up as the two finally arrived. He was expecting some form of warning from the two about Rurian's win and was all but ready to wave them off after Achan's warning, but was taken aback by Tacey's sudden questioning about what had happened.

"I guess I can't count on you for much either, huh?"

The remark echoed in his ears and he knew she had gotten the better of him. He should never have had a go at her, and now he was getting his. The irony hurt. However, deciding he wouldn't give her any more satisfaction on the matter, Michel diverted his attention the best he could, just as she continued on about the tournament's proceedings and how they were to handle the competition.

"The brat has a good point. We should try to take out as many teams as possible, and since we've yet to lose a duel, we'll be guaranteed a place in the second round even if we do lose now. Plus, we'd get a better scope of the competition before we'd have to verse them competitively."

He paused as he adjusted his shoulder bag's slipping strap, before continuing in a flat tone and giving Tacey a quick glance. It was the first time he had openly agreed with the girl, and he wanted her to realise it. Up to this point, her provocation had only been for his self satisfaction and he had decided that he would try to restrain himself from now on, only to stop her from backfiring on him. If there was another thing he found intolerable, it was Tacey's attitude, especially when she knew she had someone by the crotch. The next time he was to purposely provoke her would be strictly business or if he had a clean opening, and of course, if he found some enjoyment out of it that was just an added perk.

"Of course, we can't count on running into rank amateurs here. If we do encounter some skill, all we'll be doing is wasting our own time and we'll be giving every other duellist in the area, knowledge of how we play. Plus, I'm not exactly the patient type…but then again, do what you want. I don't care either way."

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
  • Rurian just looked at Tacey as if she was a pile of waste. He didn't even bother to look at her for a few more seconds. He just turned and left everyone else. He was pissed. He hated stuck up people like Tacey. She was nothing like Kaiba Mokuba or Muto Yugi. She was just a stuck up little...

'Briiing briiing!!!' Rurian's cell rung. It was from Yuri. He quickly answered to find a hasty male voice. "Hey, you're Rurian right? Yuri's friend? We need your help. Some guys took off with her!" He froze and turned blank white at what he heard. Yuri was kidnapped, and only God knows what might happen to her. "I'll be right there, just send me your location and I'll get to you!"

"No time. They might get away! We're at the fountain near the cafe. They went down the alley two stores away from it. Hurry!"

Rurian ran at full speed towards the cafe down the alley at the exact location they told him. He immediately caught sight of them and ran faster and faster. They turned a corner and stopped in front of a huge gate. Yuri was pinned there by ropes and seemed to be calling Rurian's name. He became so angry that he suddenly hit two of the three guys and knocked them out cold. The third guy chuckled and brought out a duel disk. Rurian understood that he wanted to duel, and that it would risk Yuri either being caught or being freed.

"If I win, she will be ours for the taking. If you win, we give her up and leave you alone." spoke the cloaked man.

Both of them activated their duel disks and got into position. "I get the first turn!"

Player: Rurian
    Hand:Red-Eyes Black Chick, Flare Nymph Katou, Wind Fairy Kazeyuri, Aqua Pixie Sui, Rapid Fire

Draw Phase: Space Breaker

"First I play Flare Nymph Katou face up in attack mode and set one card face down. End of turn." Rurian was annoyed by the fact that he got a sucky hand on his first draw.

"Hah, my turn now! I place two cards face down and set one monster face down and end my turn. Go!" I looked suspicously and the face down card. I had to make sure it wasn't a flip-effect monster. He asked Katou with just a look and Katou mouthed a yes. Rurian stared back at his opponent and called out the beginning of his turn. "Ikuze! Let's go!"

Drawing Phase: Alpha Kunoichi Shi

"First I'll activate the card, Rapid Fire! This card increases all Wind and Fire monsters' attack by 300 points on my side of the field and inflicts 200 damage to my opponents life points, so you only have 7800 life points left! Now, Katou. Attack that face down monster! Flaming Rampage! The monster was destroyed, revealing a Soldier of Stone.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Achan breathed a sigh of relief as Dogolas walked away, his team members trailing behind him. This relief, however, was short-lived as immediately after the sigh escaped his lips Michel turned on him. "Hey, Smith.... You're embarassing..."

Achan rolled his eyes. And when did you notice that? Just now, or when you saw my shirt? Yes, rich boy, I'm embarassing. Deal with it. Aloud, he said "Look, I just didn't want to rack up a loss. For all we know, our other members could be dueling right now, and if any of the three of them lose we're in serious trouble."

It was then that Tacey arrived, and proceeded to inform Achan on the reasons that they should attempt to knock out as many teams as possible. Not surprisingly, Michel agreed with her immediately. Achan rolled his eyes once again. Rich people: always flocking together. Then, something hit him like a super-charged four-wheeler. Michel had called Tacey "brat". Not only did that mean it was probably in Achan's best interest to move as far away from the action as possible at this moment, but it also indicated that Michel didn't like Tacey any better then he did. What did Tacey say her father's company was? Edgeworth Electronics? What if Michel was somehow involved with a competitor company? That alone would be enough reason for enmity between them. That might be the real reason she was angry that he had stopped the duel: she wanted to scout her future opponent's deck. Well, she'd just have to wait a bit, then, no matter how steamed she got. Of course, the word steamed reminded Achan of the probable Tacey explosion, meaning he'd have to move away quickly. Come to think of it, that was exactly what Rurian was doing, meaning it wasn't a bad idea to follow him. "Rurian, wait up!" Achan callled as he rushed after his strange-looking team mate.

Achan followed Rurian down the crowded streets of New York, struggling with various passers-by who got in his way. Couldn't they see that he was attempting to avoid a meltdown, the likes of which hadn't been seen since Cherynobyl? Now that he thought about it, however, Rurian was moving a little quickly for someone who was simply attempting to avoid bickering team mates. It was as if he knew where he was going. Achan dimly remembered hearing a ringing cell phone. If it was Rurian's phone, what kind of call would he possibly be responding to that would require him to move so quickly? With a sigh, Achan quickened his pace in order to bridge the rapidly opening gap between him and Rurian. Jeez, this guy's fast! What the heck was he eating this morning, espresso beans? Achan wondered dimly as he watched Rurian stop and turn a corner.

When Achan reached the corner himself, he saw what Rurian had been so excited about. Two men were knocked out cold and lying in the street, presumably as the result of Rurian's actions. Meanwhile, a girl was bound to a large gate, a gag in her mouth. Achan caught sight of Rurian a few steps away, dueling with a third guy. Then Achan caught himself. Dueling? What on earth was he wasting time playing a game for? The girl was right near him, two of the guys were unconscious, why the heck was the third guy not on the ground next to them while Rurian freed the damsel in distress? Achan shook his head. It was probably the same mentality that the people in Domino City suffered from: For them, any dispute had to be settled with a card game. Not for the first time, Achan was glad to be an American. With a sigh, he simply walked over the girl and began tugging at her ropes.

The guy dueling Rurian turned to see Achan attempting to untie his captive. "Hey! You can't do that!" he growled, stamping his feet.

"Why not? I haven't beaten you in a card game yet? Grow up." Achan replied caustically as he undid the first knot. "And why the heck did you kidnap the girl in the first place? No particular reason?"

The man opened his mouth as if to answer, then snapped it shut and turned away.

"Thought so." Achan sighed, as he turned back to the ropes. "Dang... this is really hard..." he grunted.

OOC: Omega, careful there. That post with Rurian was not only a little over-the-top, but you also came very close to god-modding him there. I mean, knocking out two fully-grown men instantly after they've taken out a girl with comparable skill just because he gets angry? And then stopping to play a card game with the third guy? Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch. I'll let it slide, but next time apply a bit more logic to your choice of setting up card games. 0_o

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • OOC: Yeah, going to have to agree with ACC; that was sort of...random. x_O Then again, so is taking a random number from your teammate's cell phone (How the flip did they find out her pin code, anyway?) and calling it for help. I mean...you'd think that they'd have gone for the police or something. xP

IC:

The moment Michel agreed with her, Tacey paused, but not out of astonishment over the fact that her official tournament rival had agreed with her about something. Oh no, it was the word he had used. He had struck a vein, a vein which was currently making its presence known just above Tacey's right eyebrow. The rest of her face remained calm, but the suits immediately took the cue; this was going to be a turbulent day...

Brat, was it? Tacey's insides very practically boiling. It was one thing to endure the slander from that street punk Achan, but Michel too? Oh no, he had another thing coming. Who did that jumped up, self-righteous, second-rate duelist of a nouveau-rich knave in lord's clothing think he was? Just as her temper was about to erupt, however, Rurian suddenly took off without as much as a proper excuse, soon followed by Achan.

"Hey!" Tacey called behind them, stamping her foot in aggravation. How dare they? How DARE they just walk out on her like that?! She turned swiftly on her heels and glared Michel straight in the eye, her dainty little hand locking onto the older boy's shoulder like a vicegrip to prevent him from turning away.

"You are a most impolite person." she remarked levelly, her tone wielding the word 'impolite' like a lethal weapon, "I will have you know that I'm a lady, and will thank you kindly not to forget the term." 'And if you do...' her eyes seemed to say, 'I'll make you regret the day you were ever born.'

"We're moving!" she snapped to her escorts, once again ignoring Michel completely as she turned in the direction the others had set off in, "Track those two down immediately!"

"Yes, miss!"

And so the peculiar procession set off once again, Tacey marching forward in an ever dignified manner even as her pace was nearing a half-run, the suits scouting out the area ahead and clearing a path, and eventually they arrived at the scene of Rurian's latest duel. As she caught a glimpse of the general picture, the girl soon pieced together the scenario, giving a small, irritated and above all highly ladylike sigh as she shook her head.

"You boys really are idiots." she remarked coldly, her glance traveling from the dueling Rurian - seriously, didn't this guy have more pressing matters to attend to than a card game? - to Achan's futile struggle with the ropes, "Rufus, Ewans." she gestured towards the spiky-haired and bald suit respectively, "Go free the damsel. And Raymond, if the gentleman in black objects, you..." she dragged out her speech in the end, as if preparing to say something she'd probably regret later, "...you have my permission to flog him."

Behind the shades, the suit's face lit up, "REALLY?!" he inquired, sounding like Christmas had come early for him.

"Yes, really." Tacey replied levelly, "But only on my command. As for you..." she turned to face the disguised stranger, staring straight at his shaded face, "...who are you and what kind of ridiculous stunt are you trying to pull here? Because of you my teammates are acting even dumber than usual and I demand an explanation!"

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • OOC: Okay, slight update to Achan's deck in order to open up new avenues for Wanderers and un-staple things a bit. Omega, this post is going to take some liberties with your NPCs, but it's going to justify things a bit. (By the way, this roleplay has a plot written out for it already, unlike "Star in the Sky" where the roleplayers come up with ideas for moving it ahead, so don't try to unveil the bad guy just yet. He will come, he will come.... and he isn't a ninja. XD)

Alter Ego, I remember you saying that Achan's first duel was just to show off his Wanderer. It wasn't. It was filler added to the post so it wouldn't be just "Achan found his team mates, YAY!". I am sorry to say that this is a duel added just to show off a specific set of cards.

IC: Achan tugged at the ropes binding the girl to the gate as Tacey's suits arrived to help him undo the knots. Tacey, meanwhile, was giving Rurian's opponent a piece of her mind. Achan rolled his eyes once again. "I'm not an idiot, y'know," he called over his left shoulder, "Slacker? Quite possibly. Short? Yes. Rude? You can answer that question yourself. But I am not, I repeat, emphatically not an idiot." With that, he returned to his work. Just as he and the two suits- Rufus and "Ewans" as he recalled- he noticed something strange. The rope was knotted multiple times, true, but the knots seemed to run along its length instead of simply connecting two ends of the rope. In addition, the girl's gag seemed a bit loose. Not only that, but the gate led to... well, nowhere. There was nothing there but an empty alleyway. "What the..." Achan muttered, just as the two conspicuous cloaked men on the ground leaped to their feet as if they had never been unconscious and, in a surprisingly thick blast of smoke, exploded. Achan backed away coughing. What on earth?

As the smoke cleared, Achan could see them. Four teens, about his own age, each one carrying a duel disk and wearing clothing similar to that of Rurian's. The one who seemed to be their leader, and older kid with hair of a similar color to Achan's, walked forward. "Yuri, I think the game's up. We weren't supposed to have this many people here. It was only supposed to be Rurian that responded to our distress call."

At his words, the "Damsel in Distress" exploded into a burst of white smoke as well, which Achan futilely attempted to ward off with his hat. When it cleared she stood in the middle of the square, the ropes and gag sitting around her ankles while a collapsible gate stood off to the side. "Shoot," she muttered, viciously kicking at the dirt. She then turned to Achan. "It's your fault. Only Rurian was supposed to come. I thought the rich people would be too wrapped up in their own affairs, and I didn't realize he'd already made contact with you. If you hadn't come, I'd actually be able to asess whether Rurian can do... that."

Achan shook his head in bewilderment. "Wait a minute, wait a minute lady," he began in a baffled tone of voice, "I'm not sure what we're talking about here. First of all, what is...that, and second of all how do you know Rurian? I mean, I've never seen you before. And what was I supposed to do, ignore my team mate running off into the middle of nowhere?" he laughed nervously. "I mean, come on, you've got to admit that's pretty-" his voice petered off as a small metal object sliced through the air near his cheek and embedded itself in the ground next to him.

Yuri's eyes flashed dangerously. "Look, I didn't come here to argue. All I know is that my sensei wants us to find the one who can do... that. I have a good feeling that it may be Rurian, but it might be any of you all, or any other stupid competitor in this entire tournament. Well, guess I have no choice... you!" She pointed a finger at him threateningly. "Duel me or die."

The shock hit Achan like a semi-trailer. "What?"

"I said, duel or die. It's that simple. You beat me in a duel, or I kill you." With that, the girl revealed another throwing star in her hand. Achan gulped audibly, just as she stowed it away, a smile appearing on her face. "Just kidding!"

"Wha..." Achan shook his head. "I don't get any of this... let's just duel, I'll think it over when we're done." he moaned, clutching his skull.

The two combatants took their positions, about three feet from each other, and revealed the duel disks on their left arms. Nothing stirred. For half a moment, both players were silent, each gazing into the eyes of the other. It seemed as if, for that one moment, the world had stopped turning. And then it came: the challenge.

"Let's Duel!"

"Ladies first," Yuri smirked as she drew from her deck. "Let's see...hmm... ah, here we go! I summon Gearfried the Iron Knight!"

At her command, the field began to shimmer as an enormous warrior encased in black and silver armor stepped from thin air. The left arm of his suit held a blade, while the right one tapered into a massive shield. Yuri seemed to giggle as she continued. "Next I play Reinforcement of the Army! In case you didn't know, that means-"

"I know, I know," Achan groaned, "It means you get to move a level four or lower warrior-type monster to your hand. Jeez, give me a little more credit then that."

"Listen, just pay attention to me, okay? I'm setting one card, and now I end my turn. Jeez, don't get so angsty just because I'm describing a card effect." Yuri frowned before placing the card into the appropriate slot on her duel disk as a gigantic version of it appeared on the playing field.

"Here we go..." muttered Achan as he looked at his hand. "Okay, lady, I have no idea who you are but I know one thing: You're going down." And with that, the turn began.

Duelist: Achan
    Hand: Wandering Beast, Wandering Shinobi, Wandering Mage, The Road Goes Ever On, Skull Lair

Draw Phase>>>>>> A Wandering Fellowship

Great. A few pieces of the combo, but not enough to put it together. I knew I should have added another searcher. Achan groused darkly as he chose his cards. "Okay then, let's start it off. First things first: I summon Wandering Mage!"

As Achan placed his card on the field, the air around him began to darken. A tall, gaunt-looking man in a tattered red cloak stepped from a dark hole that had ripped through the air, and seamlessly closed as he stepped through it. His long, dark hair was held in place by a crimson band, and beneath the cape he wore a chain-mail doublet that seemed to shimmer as he walked. In his left hand a golden device resembling a combination between a gun and a scepter glistened. Achan held up another card as he grinned. "And it just keeps getting better. I also activate this card: The Road Goes Ever On!" Immediately after this statement a long, winding dirt path fringed by grass and heather appeared. At the end of it, an orange, tigerlike beast could be seen running forward. Just as the creature reached the area behind Achan it stopped short before leaping over its owner's head and landing next to the mage. Now that it was close, it was clear that the beast wasn't a true tiger, though its orange-and-black fur was certainly similarly patterned. Its limbs were slightly slimmer, for one thing, and for another its tail was much longer and bushier, resembling a furry alligator's tail more then anything else. Atop its head was a large, silver horn resembling that of a unicorn. Its white fangs gleamed as it gave a triumphant roar that shook the field and caused a smiled to play across Achan's lips. The holographic programmers at Kaiba Corp had certainly had fun with the animations for his monsters. "Now let me explain to you what just happened," he said, pointing to his life pointer counter. "You'll observe that I only have seven thousand life points left. That's because thanks to the effect of The Road Goes Ever On, I can summon any level four or lower Wandering monster from my hand, provided I give up a thousand points first. In this case, I chose to summon Wandering Beast. Now it's time for some introductions: Gearfried, meet Wandering Beast. Beast, meet your next lunch. Now hop to it!" At Achan's command, the monster leaped on top of the hulk of metal in front of him, bringing the monster crashing to the ground. Its paw slashed the monster once, and the holographic image immediately scattered into thousands of pieces. Achan smiled again. "Did I mention that when Wandering Beast attacks, it gains four hundred attack points for each Wandering monster in play?" he asked, before pointing at Yuri. "Wandering Mage, direct attack!" The man in red obeyed as well by leveling his curious weapon at the kunoichi and firing a burst of golden light from it, which immediately pierced through her duel disk. Achan bowed slightly before placing one last card face-down on the field. "I think that's it for now."

Yuri pursed her lips. "Don't get cocky just because you inflicted a tiny bit of damage, now. I don't intend to lose this duel easily. First off, I'll be playing The Warrior Returning Alive in order to bring Gearfried the Iron Knight back to my hand." The giant spell card appeared on the field as the girl removed the monster from her graveyard and placed it in her hand. "Next, I'll be summoning this monster: Marauding Captain!" As she spoke, the monster appeared: A tall, thin warrior wielding a massive sword clad in tarnished silver armor. "The ability of Marauding Captain allows me to put any other level four monster I happen to have in my hand onto the field, and oh, what a surprise! I just happen to have one: Gearfried the Iron Knight!" The air shimmered as the monster in question stepped onto the field. "Alright, since your kitty doesn't like to play nice I think I'm going to have to euthanize it with this: My spell card, shrink!" Achan cringed as his Wandering Beast shrank to half its usual size and its attack split in half. "Now Marauding Captain is more then enough. Captain, attack Beast, and Gearfried, put the mage out of his misery!"

Achan turned his face away momentarily as both warriors stepped forward and brandished their swords for a moment before impaling his monsters. He watched glumly as the numbers on his counter dropped. Great. I'm dead already. This girl's just toying with me. She could have played shrink when I attacked her earlier, but she wanted to test the waters. Now that she knows what I can do, I've had it. Unless... hold that thought. She doesn't know what my monsters can do yet, because otherwise... he glanced at his hand, She would be prepared for this.

"Hey, yoo-hoo, over here! You've been thinking about your move for five minutes already. Are you giving up, or are you going to draw your card already?" Yuri's impatient voice cut through Achan's thoughts.

"Right, right, sorry! Just hold on!" Achan stated, selecting two cards from his hand. "First, I'm going to toss these two cards in order to special summon Wandering Beast back to the field, in attack mode!" As soon as the second card hit the graveyard, a flash of flame burst from the ground in front of his feet as the beast shot out, roaring. "Now I can begin my turn." Achan stated, pulling a card from his deck.

Draw Phase>>>>> Twister

Dea Ex Machina, Achan thought with a smile. "Okay, first off, I'm going to show you a little trick of my own. You like ninjas, right? Well here's one of mine: Wandering Shinobi!"

At Achan's words, a whirling shuriken of enormous size shot from the sky. As it fell, a figure burst from the ground into the air to catch it before landing next to the beast. The shinobi was obviously female, and dressed in some sort of white cloth jumpsuit which covered her body with the exception of her hands, feet, and the upper side of her face. Her hair was black, and was quite short with the exception of a single ponytail that ran the length of her back and was held in place by a tube-shaped guard of some sort. Achan's grinned leeringly. "And now for a little Warrior against Warrior action. Beast, eat Gearfried again. Shinobi, send Marauding captain to the graveyard!" Achan's monsters complied beautifully. Beast immedately grabbed the armor-clad monster and dashed him to the ground, crushing him, while the shinobi launched her shuriken into the captain's solar plexus, causing him to scatter into grains of white light. "I'll place one card face-down and that'll do for now," Achan stated, staring defiantly at his opponent.

To his surprise, Yuri began giggling. "Don't get cocky, I said. I'm not finished. I've only got a few turns left, and then I'm going to wipe you out."

Achan rolled his eyes. "Come on, seriously? Unless you've got a complete one-turn-kill combo ready, I'm going to win this duel."

"I do. Allow me to prove it to you." Yuri smiled sweetly as she placed a card on the field. "First I'll activate scapegoat, which allows me to special summon four sheep tokens to the field in defense position," In a flash of light, four of the five spaces in front of Yuri were filled with pastel-colored, puffball-shaped goats. "Next, I play one card face-down, and I end my turn."

Achan shook his head. "I'm not finished yet," he growled, grabbing the top card from his deck. "Let's see what I've got in here!"

Draw Phase>>>>Limit Break-Beat Rush

"Aw, man! That's it?" Achan groaned, adding the card to his hand. "That's really a bummer." He rolled his eyes, pointing to Yuri's field. "Oh, well. I'll just attack two of those sheep tokens. Wandering Beast! Wandering Shinobi! Turn those goats into mutton!"

"That's sheep, idiot. They're sheep tokens." Yuri corrected as she tapped her duel disk. "Anyway, I'm activating Negate Attack, so that's a moot point." Her face-down card flipped up, releasing a blast of wind that forced both of Achan's monsters back into their original positions.

"Whatever. I end my turn." Achan muttered sullenly.

Yuri's hand strayed to the top card of her deck. "Okay, let's see... got it!" She giggled uncontrollably. "Achan, you're finished. See you next time!"

"What on earth are you talking about?" Achan snapped. "I'm not going anywhere!"

"My combo is completed." Yuri continued, smirking. "I summon Armed Samurai Ben Kai." At her words, the monster appeared on the field: A strong, heavily equipped warrior wearing some kind of head cloth and carrying a long spear of some sort. "Are you ready, Achan? This is game over. Now I'll equip hm with-"

"United We Stand." Achan finished for her. "I know you! You're 'one-turn' Natsumi, famous for playing around with your opponent before destroying them with your signature combo. Your strength as a duelist is in the upper class- but why the heck do you look like some kind of ninja?"

"Yuri" smiled. The hand holding her card strayed away from her duel disk. "That's right. I was wondering when you'd remember me. I wiped the floor with you last year at the Hawaiian summit." As she finished, another miniature explosion rocked the field. When the smoke cleared, the Natsumi Achan remembered stood in front of him: A green-haired girl about his own age wearing some sort of fishing vest, as well as a loose-fitting t-shirt beneath it. "Not many people realize that I'm a master of disguise," she said sweetly, "But it's the truth. I've been studying both dueling and ninjutsu under the tutelage of Samejima, my sensei. Anyway, you remember our last duel? I'm flattered."

Achan grimaced. "That was a horrible loss. You had already collected the other two pieces of your combo into your hand on the first turn. All I had to do was attack that Sangan you set and Ben Kai was in your hand and I was down and out."

Natsumi nodded. "That's right! Of course, you couldn't help it. Nobody's ever managed to block the Ben Kai combo when I set it up right. All I've got to do is soften the opponent up a bit." She placed the card on the field, and immediately a golden gauntlet appeared on the samurai's left hand as energy began flowing to him from the other monsters on his owner's field. "Now, in case you were wondering, the reason I went after you specifically when the whole 'test Rurian's potential' thing went down the tubes is because I wanted to see if you'd improved much since the Hawaiian summit. Doesn't look like you're all that much better: I win again, Achan. I activate the spell card Axe of Despair," She stated as an iron cleaver appeared in her monster's hand. "Axe of Despair raises Ben Kai's attack by one thousand points giving him a grand total of five thousand two hundred attack points, but more importantly it gives him the ability to attack one more time this turn. Sorry Achan: You lose. Ben Kai, attack!"

Achan stared at Yuri. "One problem with your theory: I'm not finished yet. First, I activate my face-down card, twister!" As Achan stated this, the face-down card flipped face up and released a raging whirlwind that launched itself at Ben Kai, shattering the gauntlet on his wrist and substantially reducing his strength. Nevertheless, the monster easily hacked through Achan's defenses, destroying Wandering Beast and Wandering Shinobi with the blade in its hand. Achan smirked. "Twister lets me wipe out one spell card on the field in exchange for five hundred of my life points. That combo isn't always a one-turn kill, especially when you have only two equip cards in play."

Natsumi's gaze met his. "The duel is still mine, Smith. You've got one face-down that hasn't done you any good this far in the duel and isn't going to start now, and you have one card in your hand. You can't even resurrect your Beast to guard your life points. Face it, you may have drawn it out by a turn, but this duel is mine."

Achan shrugged. "Well, what can I say? It's just a card game after all. But something tells me this one is going to end a lot differently then our last one. And I can end this whole thing in three more turns if I get the right card on my next draw."

Natsumi shook her head. "What on earth have you been smoking?"

"You'll see," Achan said cryptically as he drew, "You'll see."

Draw Phase>>>> Wandering Rogue

"Yes! Yes! Alright!" Achan shouted, pumping his fist. "This thing is going to be over right now!" With that, he pointed his finger at his opponent. "Listen girl, you may have won before because of your 'unbeatable' combo. Well this time, I'm going to show you one that may not win me the duel in one turn, but it will turn this duel around. So, without further ado I present my monster, Wandering Rogue!" Grinning, Achan placed his card on the duel disk.

Nothing happened.

"Whoops, upside down." Achan replied, embarrased, as he corrected his monster's position so that the code inlaid on the card's back could be recognized by the duel disk. The air shimmered, and a small bag appeared on the ground. It sat there for a moment, when suddenly a speeding form leapt from a tree top to the ground and snatched it up. The girl straigtened, brushing her hair out of her eyes, and smiled sweetly. Her hair hunge to the back of her shoulders and was loosely fastened around her head with a strip of white cloth, and she was clothed in a black shirt that barely reached over her shoulders while a green vest filled with pockets covered it, as well as a pair of black pants that were also riddled with pockets. A pair of leather gloves hid her hands from view as she continued smiling.

Yuri raised an eyebrow. "I fail to see how a fifteen-hundred attack point monster is going to wipe out Ben Kai."

"Well, she isn't personally going to do it," Achan admitted, "I was sort of hoping that this trap card would do it instead." With that, his face-down card flipped face-up. "This card is known as 'Skull Lair'," he explained, "And with it I can destroy any monster on the field provided I remove cards from my graveyard equal to its level stars. Let's see.... one, two, three... that should do it." With that, he placed the removed cards in the deck box hanging from his belt and pointed to Ben Kai. "Skull Lair? Remove him from the field, please."

There was an audible silence as a misty, grey hand reached forward from Achan's trap card and grabbed Ben Kai. The monster struggled for a moment before bursting into thousands of myriad shards. Achan smiled. "Now... as for your wall monsters, I think I can take care of them too. But before I play this spell card, I have to ask you something: Did you ever play Final Fantasy?"

Natsumi stared. "What?"

"You know, Final Fantasy. That game series that's like hugely popular, with the heroes with the big swords, and the monsters, and the bad guys with theme songs in Latin..." Achan's voice trailed off. "Nevermind. Anyway, in Final Fantasy there's something called a 'limit break' that occurs when your character gets their back against the wall. Well, when I was designing these Wandering monsters, I thought it would be pretty cool if they could do the same thing so I created a line of spell cards that could turn the game around: one for each wanderer. And you, Yuri, have the honor of being the first duelist to experience the sting of one." Grinning, Achan placed his card in the slot. "I activate the spell card Limit Break-Beat Rush. This allows my Wandering Rogue to attack all four of your scapegoats this turn. Normally I'd have to pay half my life points to activate this card, but since Rogue is out here solo, that cost is negated. Oh, and guess what? Thanks to Rogue's effect, I get a card for each sheep I bullseye. See ya!"

A gleaming red aura surrounded the Rogue as she pulled her fists into position and charged. The first scapegoat fell victim to a quick uppercut, and the next two were instantly dispatched by a pair of powerful kicks. The final token quivered in horror as the fighter grabbed it with one hand and leaped into the air before slamming it to the ground like a basketball. With that finished, the monster brushed a lock of hair from her eye and walked back to her original zone. Achan grinned. "Now which one of us is on top?"

Draw Effect>>>>Wandering Hero, Return From the Different Dimension, A Wandering Fellowship, Wandering Vampire

"I place one card face down, and I end my turn." Achan stated.

Yuri shook her head. "No way. It isn't over yet. It's just... not." Her hand reached for a single card, which she pulled out. "Okay, let's see..." her face creased into a grimace as she realized that she was out of monsters. "I place one card face-down and end my turn." She sighed. Go ahead and attack, Achan. That face-down card is mirror force, and once you trigger it I'll wipe your field clean and attack you with the next monster I draw. This duel is going to be over.

"Let's end this game, shall we?" Achan asked pleasantly as he drew his card. "Let's see... first I'll summon Wandering Hero, then I'll use its effect to equip it with my own copy of United We Stand." The air shimmered as the hero stepped alongside the Rogue and high-fived her before donning a golden gauntlet similar to the one that had been on Ben Kai's hand.

So far so good... come on, summon as many monsters as you want, I don't care. Mirror Force will wipe them out...

"Next I'll activate my face-down card: Return From the Different Dimension!" Achan said exuberantly, a smile playing about his lips. He was actually beggining to have fun for the first time this tournament. "This card allows me to pay half my life points in order to bring back some old friends: Wandering Beast, Wandering Shinobi, and Wandering Mage!"

Above Achan, the air began to curl into a series of black holes as the three monsters he had mentioned dropped from the air to his side. "Nice to see you guys," he said, smiling. "Now get ready, because this is it!"

Alright... He's attacking... here he goes...

"I activate A Wandering Fellowship!"

What?

"This card increases the attack points of all of my Wanderers by seven hundred points..."

Okay... that's fine. I thought for a moment that-

"And it also makes them immune to card effects!"

Natsumi gasped. "But that means-"

Achan smiled. "Game over. Wanderers? Give her a taste of your power!"

The entire Wandering crew charged as one, striking the unfortunate duelist directly. Achan smiled as the counters on her duel disk dropped to zero. "Game over, one-turn Natsumi. This round goes to me. Now, what's going on here?"

Natsumi shook her head. "Oh brother..." she muttered. "Look, I'm searching for the duelist with the miracle draw, okay?"

Achan was stumped. "The who?"

"The miracle draw. The fabled skill that allows a duelist to draw any card he needs from his deck when he's in a pinch, posessed by Muto Yugi himself. I thought it might be Rurian because those searching for something are much more likely to have the miracle draw, but it could just as likely be anyone in this tournament." Natsumi explained.

Achan stared at her for a moment. "And you actually believe that?"

Natsumi rolled her eyes and walked until she and Achan were only a foot apart. "Let me tell you a little secret..." she said, leaning towards his ear.

SMACK!

"You really have no sense of tact." She continued as she marched past him, leaving Achan to rub the stinging spot on his right cheek.

Why me?

OOC: Whoo, long post. That took me forever to write.

EDIT: ALRIGHT, I EDITED OUT THE LOGIC BREAKS. HAPPY YET, ALTER?

Last edited:

Phanima

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Her brittle hand gripped his shoulder with unexpected pressure, in a way that held him to his spot. The purple-haired girl's temper had risen considerably, despite her calm and genteel composure.

"You are a most impolite person.
    "I will have you know that I'm a lady, and will thank you kindly not to forget the term."

Her prideful words cut into his thoughts as she gave him one lasting stare before pushing herself away and began marching off, her troupe tailing close behind. She had adopted her 'ignoring his very existence' mindset and paid no attention to his reaction as she walked away, following the path of Rurian and Achan's detour.

Breathing a sigh, Michel watched as the girl and her subordinates disappeared into the crowd, leaving him alone for the first time since he had arrived in New York. He had half a mind to grab her so he could confront her boorish attitude, but thought best not to justify her previous statement. It was the last thing he needed; another reason for Tacey to continue acting all high and mighty. He shuddered at the thought before turning his attention to the situation at hand.

Pulling out his GPS computer, Michel began tracking down his other team mates' locations.

Rurian and Achan are close together, and there's Tacey coming up from behind.

Seeing the three minuscule indicators representing the other three duellists, Michel identified their position and pocketed his computer. As he prepared to leave, he felt the buzz of his cell and retrieved it from its sheath before placing it to his ear.

"Michel, it's Jose. Dogolas has just won his first duel, bringing his team's total to six."

"Six? So, he's going to keep going until all of his team mates have duelled..."

"I believe that's a safe assumption."

Michel paused, mulling the information over in his head.

He should have moved on by now, it's not like him to hang around somewhere he doesn't need to be, he's too impatient...

"Michel?"

"I'm here. Listen, send down Gregorovitch and give him Dogolas' location."

"Understood."

Shutting down his cell, Michel pocketed the device before setting off to find his team mates.

Soon passing one of the city's many cafes, Michel recognised his position and turned into a small alleyway where three familiar duellists stood. As he approached the way's threshold, a teenage girl began walking towards him, appearing to have had a less than enjoyable experience in the company of Achan Smith, and appeared to be leaving thus due. Sliding his hands into his pockets, Michel stepped silently aside to allow the girl to leave, before taking a rather relaxed position against the alleyway wall. Cocking his head to the side, he noticed Achan's new red complexion and gave him a small smile.

"A friend of yours, Smith?"

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • OOC: ACC; you're breaking my heart with all these misplays. ;_; One, Marauding Captain can summon any level four or lower monster from your hand, regardless of type. Two, you can't normal summon or set on the turn you play Scapegoat. Three: Achan never drew his Limit Break card; how on earth could he play it? And four: that's not a proper Ben Kai OTKO! >O Ben Kai OTKOs by pulling out a bunch of equip spells and then slicing and dicing everything in sight (Ideally, it's pulling out Benny-boy with Premature Burial then slapping on United We Stand, Mage Power and possibly Axe of Despair for good measure); once you unleash it you make sure your opponent is dead that turn. Oh, and in all fairness to Omega I think it would have been nicer to make this Yuri an impostor (Possibly with another name to draw an absolutely clear distinction) so he can do whatever he wants to do with that particular NPC later on. ;3

Finally, there shall be two new NPCs introduced in this post. Please, oh, pretty please no-one touch them, okay? I have...plans for them later on. x3 (And no, not in the 'unmasking the grand villain' sense, so don't you worry)

IC:

Tacey rolled her eyes as the peculiar Rurian-wannabes sprung their ambush, "This is ridiculous..." she remarked, "Haven't any of you even considered just asking for a duel? Sheez." she stamped her foot irritably, beckoning the suits to her side again, "And for goodness' sake, watch where you throw those!" the girl added in this...'Yuri's' direction, "You could have cut someone's ear off with that!"

"Honestly...", she harumphed for herself as she watched Achan get involved in a children's card game too, "I'm surrounded by card game nutters with corny nicknames.".

Oh, she recalled having heard of this 'one-turn', but for all her pomp and balderdash she had little to come with but a watered-down Ben Kai strategy. Anyone who really knew their card games also knew to delay springing the attack until they had enough firepower to wipe out the opponent in one turn so the behemoth-sized warrior wouldn't be usurped or just plain wiped out, just like...she gave a 'told-you-so' kind of sigh as Achan sprung his Skull Lair trap, just like that. How typical for Americans to only do their work halfway and then get upset when it backfired on them. What she saw next, however, was quite unexpected; granted, the boy's plays had been passable thus far, but this was nothing short of a complete reversal, wiping out his opponent's Field presence while at the same time replenishing his own hand. Tacey blinked, that...that, she had to admit, was not bad at all, and the same - she had to grudgingly admit - went for his grand finish.

'Well, well Achan...' the girl mused as the uppity street punk announced his finishing attack, 'Maybe you're worth some consideration after all. Too bad you tipped your hand like that...' So that was his core strategy; first drop down a large number of those strange monsters, courtesy of that handy road spell of his, to provoke the opponent into committing to their field in order to dispose of them then wipe out the stragglers with Skull Lair and finish the opponent with a full-scale return rush backed by the Fellowship card to essentially nullify the opponent's backfield. Not bad, not bad at all...but of course, Tacey wasn't half as reckless as that has-been Achan had taken on; her deck was all about restricting the opponent's moves, and there were plenty of links in that chain to break. Still...the girl rubbed her temples, she still had those Limit Break cards to account for. Based on a silly computer game they may have been, but they were clearly wild cards of the highest order and could really turn the game around. She'd have to assess and prepare for all of their possibilities if she really wanted to ensure a crushing defeat for Achan.

"You really have no sense of tact."

Tacey giggled at the remark and Achan's second slap for the day. "You tell him, sister." she chimed in, unable to fully mask her glee as the girl stalked off in a huff before turning back to Achan, "Now do you see why I suggested that you learn some manners? If you keep acting like such a bore there's bound to be more where that came from. Now then..." she turned to address the group as a whole, "If you two 'noble knights'..." every syllable of the two words was oozing with sarcasm,"...have filled your 'damsel rescue' quotas for the day, might I suggest that we leave this unsanitary little alley and get back to the task at hand?

-------------------------------------------------------​

Though they might not have known it, the little group's latest exploit had not gone unnoticed. Standing on the roof of one of the buildings overlooking the little alleyway, two figures had been overseeing the procedure.

"So that's the one you're interested in, huh Akei-sama?!" chirped a clear, innocent girl's voice from the one on the right. Its owner was a girl who seemed to be about Tacey's age donning a tent-like orange hoodie that almost reached down to her knees, covering about half of the dark blue trousers beneath, a finger beneath one of the almost comically long sleeves pointing at Achan while the other hand tugged at her partner's sleeve. Her right eye, a peculiarly bright yellow in color, was wide with innocent wonder while the left was obscured somewhere beneath the fringe of her otherwise short, dark purple hair that had been combed over it, her mouth spread into a wide grin.

Her partner, a considerably taller male who seemed closer to Michel age-wise, merely gave a non-committal grunt in response, instinctively shifting a few strands of his light blue hair away from his left, dark blue - nearly black - eye and over to the black eyepatch that covered his right, remaining completely stationary while a passing breeze tugged at his snuggly fitting, dark purple tennis shirt and the equally well-fitting light blue trousers beneath it, his hands casually stuffed into his back pockets.

"You're not saying anything but I know I'm right!" the girl trilled, giving her all-too-dignified companion a playful poke in the side, "Akei-sama can't keep any secrets from me-e!"

The male gave a lightly irritated sigh, "Haruko..." he began in a deep, calm male voice, "...how many times have I asked you not to drag in your internet-Japanese? You don't even know what 'Akei-sama' means."

The girl giggled at this, "Silly Akei-sama!" she chirped, patting the male on the arm, "You know I call things by what they look like, and you look just like an Akei-sama so it's a perfect name!" she clapped her hands decisively, signaling an end to the argument, "Now stop worrying about silly things and let's go duel that boy and the others, okay Kei-kei-chan?"

The newly dubbed 'Kei-kei-chan' raised an eyebrow, "Dare I ask where that name came from?"

"It's a nickname, silly!" Haruko replied, her grin as wide as ever, "Really, Kei-kei-chan, it's not like you to be so slow! Now let's go-o-o already!" she grasped the male's arm and made a big show of pulling him along.

"No." her partner replied flatly, "Not yet."

"But Kei-kei-chaaaan!" the girl protested, pouting, "I want to duel that girl!" she pointed at Tacey, "She's so cuuuute! Like someone's cat who's been run through the washing machine, like, ten times! It's no fair if you get to have all the fun!"

The so-called 'Kei-kei-chan' shook his head, "I'm not dueling yet either..." he replied, "They show potential, but I want to see if they can live up to it first. We'll observe for now and make our move when the time is ripe."

Haruko gave him an incredulous look, "And then do I get to duel her?"

"Yes." the male replied, "Then you can duel to your heart's content."

The girl still remained a bit suspicious, extending her right hand towards him, "Pinky swear?"

Her older complement sighed in forfeit, reaching out his hand and grasping Haruko's offered pinky with his own, "Pinky swear." he replied monotonously.

The sweater-clad female's face lit up like a Christmas tree, a squeal of delight escaping her lips as she jumped on the spot a few times out of pure hyperness, "Kei-kei-chan! You're the bestest ever!"

"Sooo...Kei-kei-chan..." Haruko continued a short while after the duo had set off, skipping cheerfully on the teen's side, "Could the goth boy really have that miracle-draw-thingie?"

"There's no such thing." he replied harshly, "Not in the way those fools think of it, anyway. The miracle draw isn't a talent; it's a state of mind. Theoretically speaking, anyone can have it."

The girl's eyes widened in wonder, "Really? So do you have it, then? Huh, Kei-kei-chan?"

"I don't need it." the male deadpanned, "I always have the cards I need, not because I'm lucky enough to draw them but because I know what to play and what to conserve."

"Kei-kei-chan, you're so smart!" Haruko trilled, "I bet none of those could beat you even if they had that miracle-draw-thingie!"

The blue-haired teen gave no response, merely grinning ever so slightly. He had far more important things to think about than some old rumors. These contestants...three of them played cards that were supposedly unique, and at least two of them seemed able to handle the cards as well. Maybe...his grin widened marginally, maybe he had finally found worthy opponents.

"Kei-kei-chan!" Haruko suddenly exclaimed, a concerned little frown on her face, "You're looking really weird!"

Annoyed, the boy turned to face his partner, a scowl of irritation at being interrupted in such a way replacing the grin on his face. At this sight, the girl's concerned expression turned cheerful and carefree again, "That's better!" she chirped, "Now Kei-kei-chan is back to normal again!"

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back