• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Catching 'em all?

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
  • So, for those who are still going through the story of Black and White, are you catching as many Pokemon as you can on your journey, or are you just catching Pokemon for your team?
    I've been catching Pokemon only for my team, I don't really find it necessary to catch every single Pokemon possible as soon as you start your adventure. But the main reason I'm not catching Pokemon is that this is one of the first times, I've played it three times and am still having fun playing through it. Maybe a fter 20 playthroughs, I'll catch every Pokemon from the start. After I beat Ghetsis, I will go through my Pokedex and catch all the Pokemon IN ORDER. Yes, in the order of the Pokedex. It's just something I've always done.

So, what about you?

Years
  • Through the gameplay, I mostly just carried around the 6 pokemon and my boxes were empty (aside from Victini and Fire monkey)

Since beating the League and plot, I've been collecting pokemon and stuffing my boxes. So, I don't necessarily want to reset this game, but I would like to get Pokemon White and re run that game over and over. (Birthday is coming up :D)

iRoyBoy

Is the definition of yaoi
    Years
  • I guess I never really thought of it but yah I am. Or at least i've been trying to. I think it just came as second nature to try and catch them all. But the sad thing is we need more than 8 PC boxes to keep one of every pokemon. Why Nintendo WHY D;
    I think my friend has caught every pokemon he's seen and he's already almost out of room. Then again he has compleated the game and transfered a lot of pokemon from his heart gold.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • I tried to catch one of each pokemon I encountered so when I beat the game I won't have to catch so man to complete the pokedex

Years
  • I've got quite a few pokemon, but I mostly just want to complete the pokedex.

Once my pokedex is complete (has all info on every pokemon(at least in Unova))
    I'll actually try to have all the pokemon.

I've traded a few already, but they're logged now. =)

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I guess I never really thought of it but yah I am. Or at least i've been trying to. I think it just came as second nature to try and catch them all. But the sad thing is we need more than 8 PC boxes to keep one of every pokemon. Why Nintendo WHY D;
    I think my friend has caught every pokemon he's seen and he's already almost out of room. Then again he has compleated the game and transfered a lot of pokemon from his heart gold.

It expands though. o_o IIRC, you get enough after you get the National Pokedex for every Pokemon, and you have more than enough to catch every Pokemon in Unova before getting the National Dex, right?

I'm trying to get them all just because I never have before. Not sure what I'm gonna do about starters and legendaries yet, maybe trade for a few min with friends at school, but I would like to get all the ones excepting those caught. I'm grinding for the Elite 4 now, and leveling Pokemon that I need their evolutions for the Pokedex with an exp share as I do so.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    See this team in my sig? Yeah, I'm only using this team completely in the Elite Four. Every pokemon I see I will catch and train it equally, as an example have all my Pokemon Level 17 before the 2nd Gym. I mean, Pokemon's motto is "Gotta Catch'em All!" this will put me at a disadvantage because it will take away from needed EXP (Though Audino fixes this) but puts me at an advantage because I will virtually have a counter for every gym (Multiple counters even!)

If you were wondering, I don't have Pokemon Black yet.

MiSoRamen

Flying with Skyla
    Years
  • I go though the game with just my team and then I catch all the pokemon in the dex as something to do after I have completed the main story.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • This is my playing pattern at every Pokemon game:
    -Play through the game once using your starter+HM slaves
    -Play through the game some more times using different Pokemon
    -After some months, start working on the Pokedex.
    So, I'm not working on the Pokedex yet, but I will eventually.

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
  • I go though the game with just my team and then I catch all the pokemon in the dex as something to do after I have completed the main story.
    I pretty much do this as well especially since now we can catch Wild Tyranitar's, Milotic, Poliwhirl, Dragonite, Gliscor's, etc...

Years
  • I guess I never really thought of it but yah I am. Or at least i've been trying to. I think it just came as second nature to try and catch them all. But the sad thing is we need more than 8 PC boxes to keep one of every pokemon. Why Nintendo WHY D;

Once you get to a certain part of the story you get 16, maybe 18 boxes.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I'm catching Pokémon for my team. Afterward, I'm going to go back and catch everyone else so I can get to work on my epic project to rename all of the Unova Pokémon because... well, Throh and Sawk. Enough said.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I'm catching all the Pokemon I find, so it will be easier to fill up my Pokedex. About the not enough space in the box thing, it expands. Once you put one Pokemon in each box, you get more boxes. Eventually you'll have space for 720 Pokemon. More than enough for all the Pokemon in the National Dex.

MeiChama

Spazztastic Fangirl~
    Years
  • I tend to catch only the Pokemon I like, then after wards I'll go catch more if I feel like it. XD

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'll attempt to catch all of the Pokemon right after the main storyline. Before that, I'll just stick to what I'm looking for to add on my team.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Yeah I am trying to catch everything, even before the main story is over. I catch anything new I encounter. As of now my Dex shapes us as this Seen 100 Obtained 76.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2011
    Every single new pokemon I see I catch. I use a AR code for 100% catch rate though, because I get annoyed not catching something and it popping out, or accidently KOing them.

Only cheat I use however. But apart from a couple (Like in one of the caves they are like a 1% chance of appearing) ive gotten all I could. I use a gamefaqs.com faq to make sure I grab all the items etc possible, and to know what pokemon appear.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I catch every Pokemon I run across that I haven't caught before. Also, I run around in an area until I find each different wild species before I move on. The only ones I haven't found are the shaking grass ones, and that's because I haven't seen any shaking grass yet on White.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I started catching as many Pokémon as I could at the beginning of the game, but... I got reeeeally lazy after about the fourth badge and now I'm only catching Pokémon for my party. The second playthrough, I'm definitely gonna put more effort into catching as many Pokémon as I can, but I ain't catching 'em all because EFFORT. :| and I'm too lazy to trade for the ones I can't get in my game haha.

Back