• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Chain Fishing

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • So does anybody know if you can run from the pokemon without breaking the chain?
    yes You can run or defeat a pokemon without breaking your chain. :) as long as You dont move, reel your rod in too slow, catch a pokemon or get nothing (not even a nibble). Also, when You finally have your shiny, the chain breaks. Happy hunting and good luck :)

Years
  • I got a shiny Quilfish after a chain of 40. I honestly think they made it too easy to get shinies this way.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2013
    If anyone chains a extra shiny Dratini or Dragonair, I'll trade 3 Shiny Basculins 2 Shiny Poliwhirls and a Shiny Relicanth. I'm so desperate for one right now.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • My new Record for Chain Fishing is 68 Times!!!

Still no Shiny yet. Not one...............after 68 encounters!

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Just saw this: https://kotaku.com/woah-someone-built-a-machine-that-finds-shiny-pokemon-1458895118.

Dude uses a microcontroller hooked up to the 3DS controls to chain fish for him. It uses a light sensor to measure how long the bottom screen stays dark; apparently if it's a shiny, the sparkling animation will cause the bottom screen will black out a second longer, so when it happens, it'll start buzzing so he can come catch his shiny, otherwise it automatically runs and casts the rod again. Pretty neat {XD}

JDJ

Vulpix Breeder, Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • NH
    • Seen Nov 19, 2015
    View attachment 70105

Found this right around day 2 or 3 of release. Its pretty comprehensive. I can confirm that if you have a suction cup pokemon in front, and the tile of water your BOBBER is in is surrounded by rocks, or non surfable terrain, you will ALWAYS get a bite when surrounded on 3 sides, with you fishing from the fourth side. I have also heard frequently that catching a pokemon breaks your chain, and that once you encounter a shiny itself, the chain breaks back to 0. I have successfully fished 2 Shiny Poliwhirls, a Relicanth and a Clawitzer. Your chance maxes out at a 40 chain at 1/200, or 0.5%, like the pokeradar.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I got two shines from chain fishing. Both times it only took around 20 times

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Me and my Roommate have been at this for about an hour, he got a shiny Remoraid after 15 or so consecutive landings. I haven't been so lucky, but I also don't have a Pokémon with the suction cup ability. Thinking of evolving a Remoraid for an Octilary (they have suction cup, right?).

Roger Davis

Goofball
    Years
  • Me and my Roommate have been at this for about an hour, he got a shiny Remoraid after 15 or so consecutive landings. I haven't been so lucky, but I also don't have a Pokémon with the suction cup ability. Thinking of evolving a Remoraid for an Octilary (they have suction cup, right?).
    They can, but it's not their only ability. I went and caught an Inkay myself for it.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Going for that shiny Karp...

>Fishing for 2 hours
    >Shiny Goldeen
    >Okay
    >Shiny Basculin
    >Upset
    >Another Shiny Basculin
    >RAGE
    >Mfw I am raging over not catching a Magikarp

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    went through 6 boxes trying to MM my first shiny. went fishing and caught 2 in under an hour .-. first shinys i've EVER caught in a pokemon game. o and to those interested, they were remoraid and basculine

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    Caught two Barboach this morning. One of them had some really really good IVs aside from defense and sp defense, so he's already evolved into Whiscash! (I love that Pokemon by the way.. Might use him online.) And as I was browsing this thread, a shiny Clauncher appeared. That red! Sexy and legit. Time to catch it. Good thing I brought a trash bag with 999 Premier Balls. :)

Back