• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Chaining in X & Y Discussion

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
  • So, the Poke Radar is back. And with it comes chaining (repeatedly finding the same Pokemon to get an increased chance of finding a shiny Pokemon.)

First of all, here's how to get the Poke Radar:
    Spoiler:

So here you can discuss chaining. :) Some questions to get the ball rolling.

1) Did you chain in Pokemon Diamond, Pearl or Platinum? If so, how succesful/unsuccesful were you?
    2) Will you be using the Poke Radar in X/Y? If so, why? And if not, why not?
    3) What do you think of the inclusion of the Poke Radar?

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2014
    never played D/P/Pt so no experience of chaining but i have been trying but no luck!
    i have been looking for tips online and if anyone knows any good areas in X and Y to chain but no luck on that end either

Aternox

the Dark
    Years
  • Wait chaining allowed you to catch shinies in D/P? MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE. Either way if it yields me shinies, I'll definitely try it. Still have to find my first shiny you see!

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • When I used to chain in D/P/Pt, I was able to get a Shiny Flaaffy and a Shiny Buizel, but I don't have the attention span for that anymore, I know I've tried XD. But maybe when I have some extra time on my hands, I'll give it another shot.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Someone tell me how to track the chain. :/

And for the most part, the grass patches are way too small to accurately chain.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    For those interested, myself and a friend wrote this a long time ago, and it applies to the 4th gen PokeRadar. I'm assuming most of the 6th gen mechanics are the same.

Spoiler:

Note that Black Flute isn't necessary since at the time I didn't understand the concept of Repels. And the 4 patches away concept is very important in maintaining a chain.

doraemonz

Beyond 9 ~*
    Years
  • Thanks for that info, I think i'll give it a try at the friend safari when i have time :p

Edit: Nvm doesnt work in friend safari lol ....would have been too easy i guess

Last edited:
    Years
  • For those interested, myself and a friend wrote this a long time ago, and it applies to the 4th gen PokeRadar. I'm assuming most of the 6th gen mechanics are the same.

Spoiler:

Note that Black Flute isn't necessary since at the time I didn't understand the concept of Repels. And the 4 patches away concept is very important in maintaining a chain.

Oh dear thank you very much for that info!
    It's really well written and easy to read, well done :)
    I'm definitely going to try this when I finish the game.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    My problem with 6th gen is I don't know if they've tweaked the mechanics, and all the patches of grass are too small to really chain in (or the large areas have a ton of different Pokemon). I would've gone for Dedenne, to take advantage of Static, but Route 11 has like no good spots to chain.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Another issue is that we don't have that Poketch app that tracks the chain amount. I'm not sure if there's a new way to do that, but it bugs me that I don't know what chain I'm on (even though I guess I could keep track). IIRC, it was about 40 chain where the shinies started to get a little more common.

Back