• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing pokemon/pbs stuff

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    There aren't going to be any "real" pokemon in my game and I was thinking about just changing everything in the pokemon pbs file, but I wanted to ask a few simple questions before I started to make sure it's not going to break anything.

Let's say my game is only going to have 100 "pokemon" in it. It's easy enough to change ID's 001 - 100 to what I want, but if I delete 101-649, is this going to break some part of the script? Also, it looks like everything in the script just calls the ID number (for images and such), so it looks like the only thing I should have to change other than the pbs file are the images in graphics/battlers. If there's something else that needs to be changed, please point me in the direction, please. :P

So I guess my question is, are the only things I have to change is the pokemon pbs file and the images in graphics/battlers and will deleting 101-649 break anything?

Thanks!

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    There aren't going to be any "real" pokemon in my game and I was thinking about just changing everything in the pokemon pbs file, but I wanted to ask a few simple questions before I started to make sure it's not going to break anything.

Let's say my game is only going to have 100 "pokemon" in it. It's easy enough to change ID's 001 - 100 to what I want, but if I delete 101-649, is this going to break some part of the script? Also, it looks like everything in the script just calls the ID number (for images and such), so it looks like the only thing I should have to change other than the pbs file are the images in graphics/battlers. If there's something else that needs to be changed, please point me in the direction, please. :P

So I guess my question is, are the only things I have to change is the pokemon pbs file and the images in graphics/battlers and will deleting 101-649 break anything?

Thanks!

Yes. All the PBS's for tournaments/contents/TMs/etc. have pokemon listed in them, and if you delete pokemon from the pokemon.txt, the other PBS files will still have them listed, and need to find them, which will cause the game to crash. It will takes days on end to edit every line of some of these PBS files to remove all the pokemon except the ones in the game.

What you want to do is create a new regional dex. Look on the wiki to see how

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    That's what I figured I would have to end up doing. Next question, can I delete the battler images for pokemon 1-649 or would that cause the game to crash as well? =x

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    That's what I figured I would have to end up doing. Next question, can I delete the battler images for pokemon 1-649 or would that cause the game to crash as well? =x

I can't say for sure but from what I know it shouldn't. There just won't be a sprite for that pokemon if it comes out in battle, which it won't.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The only things used to define a Pokémon are: its entry in pokemon.txt, battle sprites, icons, footprints and cries.

As mentioned, however, there are plenty of files which depend on pokemon.txt, and will reference species within it. If one can't find the species it wants, you'll have a crash. Unless you fancy editing all of those files (just clearing the contents might work for some of them), it's probably best to leave what's already in pokemon.txt alone.

However, you can go right ahead and delete all the graphics and audio files. You're not going to use them, and even if something does try to, it'll just end up with a missing graphic or silence, which isn't a problem.

One specific thing I just thought of is that the start screen (the one that says "Press Enter") will play a random cry between species number 1 and species number max - you should edit that to randomly pick from just your new species instead.

To edit pokemon.txt conveniently, first replace all instances of "RegionalNumbers=" with "Bob=". Then completely ignore the existing species, and just add your new ones. If a species doesn't have that line, it won't appear in any Regional Dexes by default anyway (see the Gen 3, 4 and 5 Pokémon for examples).

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    One last question (well, hopefully). Can I skip from [649] and start at [1001]. Or is that one of the files that has to use every number. And can you even go over 1000? On the wiki, I've noticed some files will only go up to 999.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    pokemon.txt isn't limited to 999 species. I tried it myself.

I think you might get some errors in places if you skip numbers (e.g. by using the "Fill boxes" debug option and it tries to add a species that doesn't exist), but I'm not sure exactly where those problems might crop up. Rather than trying to guess if/when you'll get those problems, it's easier just to not skip numbers. That's why I (and the wiki) recommends not skipping numbers.

Back