• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing the worldmap COMPLETELY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2009
isnt that easyer to use elitmap to change the map? you can change everything in ther too...

Mastermind_X

ASM-Hacker
Years
EliteMap isn't able to change the worldmap. It only claims that it could be done with EM, but the feature never was integrated. The only way to edit the worldmap is this tutorial. (Until this mysterious tool is completed. ;-) )

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
Changing how the map looks using HEX

This is what I managed to write about that part, hope at least this guides you through the somewhat tiring task of creating the worldmap's look with hex (obviously, this is most for people who already have done some things with hex...) Here it goes...

OK, let's start this semi-tutorial for making new maps visually. When I reached the part where Mastermind_X said "change the map using a program called Cyclone. The tool won't work for FRLG", I thought, "but I heard Cyclone really works on FR", so why don't we give it a try?

And so, I went to Cyclone, made a map using the tileset I stored from the emulator (using the Tile Viewer when in the worldmap, and then using the button "Save", I stored the tileset on .bmp format), something like this:

tuto1pz8.png

-To the left, the loaded tileset (using File->Load Tileset), to the right, the map I drew

So I saved the tilemap using File->Save TileMap (and I stored it on raw format, as M_X talked something about it)

Once I stored my newly created map, I kept reading Mastermind's tutorial, found free space to store my map, and used UNLZ and repointed the pointer to the map (basically, read his tutorial again to know what I am talking about)

Everything seemed to be perfect, however once I started playing the worldmap was nothing like I drew on Cyclone. Yes, it was using (most) of the tiles I used, but still, there were a lot of errors, and the tiles seemed to be in a wrong order (I'd like to show you how it looked, but I don't want to risk, as I now have everything perfectly on my maps)
In the end, we can say that Cyclone doesn't work perfectly for FR, but, it seems to at least work in some way... (Guess it's something related to sizes' differences between FRLG and RSE)

So, how could I fix that? Well, that's when I remembered about Coolboyman using hex to make the map on rijonAdventures, so I thought, "and what if I take an hex look on that stored tilemap I made with Cyclone?", you'll find something like this:

tuto2zv8.png

-That's the tilemap I drew on Cyclone, seeing on an hex editor O.o

As you can see, the tilemap is using hex values for each of the tiles I drew (in my example, 07 00 means dark green and 05 00 means lighter green), so you could basically change every value and get different tiles shown on the map. Pretty simple, just change one of the values to something else, save the tilemap (it'll be stored as raw), then store it again using UNLZ, and, even though the map would still look odd, you should notice that one tile on the worldmap has changed. Cool!
Anyway, keep reading further, as I will try to help you a bit more...

So, that's the way to change the map. But, there are a few aspects to be kept in mind:

*You should remember that 00 00 means the "invisible tile", because the map is basically shown over other stuff (think as if, there are two levels, the map is on the upper level and the other stuff, like the scrolls of the map are on the lower level), so if you do not use the 00 00 where it must when creating the worldmap, then you could step over the stuff on the lower level

*Remember that the tileset can make use of many palettes, if you want to use the palettes other than the "Palette1", according to Cyclone, then you'll have to remember that each tile has a different hex code (and the codes also change with each palette)
For example, if you'd like to use the red dot used on cities, which uses the second palette (Palette2 on Cyclone), as long as you don't move it if you create a new tileset, it has the hex code 01 10. There are not many other tiles using other palettes, but I guess that would depend on how cool you want your map to be...
In the end, whenever you want to experience with different tiles and palettes, just save the tile Map on Cyclone, open it on the hex editor, and see what has changed

Now, let's move onto some tips when creating the new worldmap using hex:

As long as you use the first palette with your tiles, their hex codes will start from 00 00 (the invisible tile) and will increase up to 3F 01 (don't know if the tileset can be longer, ask M_X), so a good idea would be to put your tiles on a kind of grid and put the numbers around so that you can identify them easily for when you start drawing the map on hex, something like this:

tuto3zm6.png

-So the first tile (the one dark blue), which is the invisible tile is 00 00, then the next one is 01 00, then the next (the dark green) is 02 00. Following the example, the first tile on the second row would be 20 00, hopefully you get the idea of how I did things (it helped me, you may follow your own way)

So, once I had that "tile guide", I opened the map that I wanted to insert on my images editor...

tuto4ty2.png

-That's the map I made using all the tiles available on the tileset (forget about the black dots, that was an example map). I'd recommend you using an images editor that can show you a grid of 8x8 so you can see each tile easily. Mine is Paint Shop Pro

So, you have the map, the "tile guide", and your tileMap that you'll be changing loaded on your hex editor, so you have all the necessary to start putting the proper hex codes to make your own map using hex!

By the way, you should also know that the tiles can also be modified, and the palettes can also be changed (the tiles can be found using UNLZ's Deep Scan function, it will be around the offset M_X found them with his method), so basically, once you find the tiles, changing them is just like changing any other thing using UNLZ (I wouldn't recommend you changing the tiles unless you are a highly skilled rom hacker, though)

And, because I know it'll come in handy, I'll also upload a base tileMap, if you want to insert it, it'll be just one empty green worldmap, but it'll work as a base for your own maps (basically, don't touch anything besides the 06 00), obviously, take it out of the zip -_-

Mastermind_X

ASM-Hacker
Years
Great, thanks for the description, zel! I'll add that to the main tutorial.

Btw... it's nice to see somebody but me using the good old Paintshop. ;-) Strange, my first approach to the maps took place pretty similar to the method you were using. (The 8pixel-tile-grid, the bases, the hexdumps, and so on ^^)

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
Even though I'm lazy and I'm probably never going to try to follow this tutorial; I read it. It's very complicated but maybe one day I'll have the feeling to use it. I've never tried ASM hacking, but since it's so good I'll try it now!

Mastermind_X

ASM-Hacker
Years
You won't need any ASM knowledge if you're going to hack FR since all the offsets can be found in the tutorial.

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
Years
What offset in Unlz-GBA does the .raw go back into the ROM? I downloaded the tileMap the Zel posted, but I don't know exactly how to put it in my ROM!

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
What offset in Unlz-GBA does the .raw go back into the ROM? I downloaded the tileMap the Zel posted, but I don't know exactly how to put it in my ROM!

Basically, anywhere where there's free space to put it. Use a hex editor to find free space (as I said before, you should have some experience dealing with hex editors for this tutorial to work to its fullest)

By the way, not all of the offsets are present on M_X's tutorial, the first part takes care of the Kanto map, but, since FR has other three maps, you'd just need to repeat the steps he explains for finding the other offsets (or ask me on a PM, though I'd prefer that you try doing his method, to get used to the tools of VBA and the Debugger on VBA_SDL)

SerenadeDS

Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
Heh, that is awsome! I love both of you. I am getting into ASM hacking myself, and I like what you do Mastermind_X.

Thanks Lu-Ho too!! AdvanceMap FTW! :P

Whooz.. I just tried it out, I must say: Just when you think AdvanceMap's got everything covered.. xD

Last edited:

Antwhan

setting up for the big beta
Years
all i can say is...DAAAAMMMNNNN...

This fixed the only anooying things i had w/ last release. (open recent rom w/o trudging through files) (easier navigation of menus)

and added amazing features..(world map) and the integration w/ a script editor of choice is a nice add on.

kant wait till i figure out how to work some of it ;) hahaha

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
hi.
I follwed the tutorial but i dont understand enough of it to find the offsets for the 2nd 3rd and fourth maps in FR. if someone could give me them or help me find them it would be very appreciated.

thanks in advance
link

D a n i e l

Pokemon - Mystic Plan
Years
I've made my own map now but I dont know how to insert it... Can anyone explain it BEGINNER FRIENDLY how to do it.

D a n i e l

Pokemon - Mystic Plan
Years
Yes, I have made a map, but i just don't know how to put it in the rom. At the step of the repointing I fail...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
>>MM_X: actually how many tiles can you add?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back