• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Charizard-like Pokémon in Gen V?

Elise

ニャーニャー
Years
  • I dunno, I felt like the fourth generation became more cartoon-ized than the previous 3 generations. Maybe a bit more of a "cutesy" factor, if you get what I'm saying. I don't think it would be a bad thing if the fifth generation got a little more, well, serious.

Compare the starters, if you will. Yes, they are all cartoons, but turtwig and bulbasaur are completely different styles of art, to me. Bulbasaur looks like it could actually work, whereas I feel like Turtwig's head would make him fall over because it is too big for his poor body.

Anyway, that's off subject. Different. Is. Good. Sometimes. :)

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • reshiram really does (to me at least) looks like a giant chicken with a face of a dog. A thought occurred right now as seeing is this pokemon is mascot for white, that it might actually be an ice type, which would be the closest type for the color white...since there isn't a "light" type. but hey, whose to say right? dark and steel were added in 2nd gen and i suppose ghost did too, in a sense

zekrom looks very sleek in his design, im just not found of that huge tail-thingamajig in the back. it looks like a bee sting kind of tail :T we might have our dark/dragon dual typing as well.

But that is just me speculating of course

Years
  • The part I emphasized in tha quote is completely true. It took me months to get used to all the new Pokemon (and everything else) from Diamond and Pearl, so naturally it'll happen in Black and White too.

your comment is win. Gamefreak's M.O the past few gens has been taking the simple pokemon idea and constantly changing and adapting it - taking each new gen above and beyond the previous ones, in design, graphics, gameplay, everything. when gen IV came out people were freaking over the new designs and im sure their were a million of these "OMG they're Ugly! WTF!?" threads directed at the gen 4 pokes, and even some of the gen III ones as well. once we play the games for awhile they'll fit right into the pokemon universe.

aside from that, ill be buying white because the black legendary is dope. he's looking like a dark/steel type, which would freaking rock. (aside from a 4x fighting weakness >_<)

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I think they're awesome and they don't seem to remind me of Digimon in anyway at all.

reshiram really does (to me at least) looks like a giant chicken with a face of a dog.

I agree with this though. I thought the same thing whilst viewing them on Serebii,
    But these are only the game like Pokemon images. Aren't they? So, they'll probably look slightly different in the Anime if they show up of course.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I just looove how the complaints increase as the sprite resolution goes up.

Generations one and two were obviously the most similar, but even they had their differences. Raikou, Suicune, and Entei are probably the most "untraditional" pokemon as compared with the first 150.

Essentially, the art style seems to be what people don't like here. Using the above examples, Mewtwo (this is expanded from JakeClowd's post) had little shading, and has only two major colors. Lugia had 3, and more shading. Rayquaza's body seems to be textured slightly, and while mainly green one also obviously sees yellow and red and black. Finally, Dialga simplifies a bit, but has a different tone, almost like something extraterrestrial. Then we have Zekrom, even more alien-seeming than Dialga, with an almost-inorganic texture and iridescent accents. Pokemon designs started off easier to relate to (lab experiment, okay, disbelief suspended), and progresses farther out (wth is this thing? [answer: an original fictional being]).

TL;DR: The designs just get harder to cope with as they use up basic ideas, and the art style changes to reflect that.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I also thought the cartoonishness increased a bit with Gen III and then continued on like that with Gen IV. Sure the legendaries are a bit more detailed, but look at Krabby vs Corphish to see what I mean.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Yeah, it's a vibrancy thing too. Brighter Pokemon "don't look like Pokemon" either.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    The fire and water starters are much more cartoonish looking to me than most other Pokemon in older generations, lol.

I like the new Legendary Pokemons in terms of looks.
    They looked a lot like Digimon at first look, but it's not like Digimon is that bad or anything.
    And no, it has nothing to do with senses of realism added to make them look like Digimon.

Reshiram is something I'm almost sure I'll love, and Zekrom is good too, though its similarity to Palkia makes it seem like originality in design, and good designs themselves will run out soon.
    I personally just love the simplicity of Pokemon, and would hate to lose it. Details is good, but not the unnecessary ones. I wouldn't like a Lugia with five colours, horns, and lines on the body, though I'd like a more defined fur-like feel like that or Reshiram.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I agree with lx_theo in the fact that when you add more detail they look less pokemon like and more digimon-ish. They have in fact tried to put more and more detail into the pokemon (particularly legendary pokemon) each generation and in my opininion strayed rather far from the original.

Heres a little something to show how they've put more detail into pokemon throughout the generations:

Spoiler:
    NOW I see what the difference is between Pokemon and Digimon. Those all look Pokemon-ish bar Mewtwo. It looks Digitalised.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • People just dislike change and try to pick faults that aren't there, in my opinion.

From reading this thread, it seems to me that people think having more detailed and life-like creatures is a bad thing.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Maybe it just me paying attention to Digimon as much as i did to Pokemon. When I'm saw the Legendaries for first time, i can't think another but Digimon. In my opinion, Pokemon back day emphasized "simplicity" compared to Digimon that emphasized "details". What makes Charizard and Salamence great? their simple design. Its not a bad thing to add more detail to Pokemon if they do it right, just look at Crawdaunt.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't really know why you people are comparing Pokémon to Digimon... If they were both made by the same companys etc, then I would see some of your points but it's not like ken sugimori went and watched an episode of Digimon and somehow magically turned a drawing from GeoGreymon into Rekrom... THIS IS MADNESS :3 Plus, pokemon was created before Digimon right...? Well then instead of basically saying pokemon is a ripoff of Digimon... say Digimon is a ripoff of pokemon...
    Oh and whats with the title? Charizard like pokemon in Gen V? Why would you want that? That would just be so unoriginal! Unless you ment the new pokes look like charizard...? Which quite frankly makes no sense looking a pokebu and charizard... xD
    Oh p.s. I think Reshiram Looks great! How the hell does it look like a chicken..? I think its sort of a mix of Angle/Winged Beast

Bamboo Basara

Pokemon Historian
    Years
  • I suppose the new Pokemon look a little Digimon-ish, but I don't think that's a bad thing. They're finally starting to get creative with their designs. I think they're much, much better than the Pokemon that look like very slightly altered versions of real life creatures (I'm looking at you, Ledyba.)

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
  • They don't look very Digimon, but they don't look very Pokemon either. The new legendaries just remind me immensely of a lot of dragon drawings I see around the Internet... Might as well be ganked off DA or something.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • To be honest, I don't like the new Legendary sprites. They look all wrong, unlike how Pokemon has been for the last four generations. The starters also look very unappealing except for Tsutaja so far, however, Zorua and Zoroark have appealed to me fairly well, but its not Pokemon per sé. I liked it as it was, and Pokemon seems to be evolving a bit further than it was meant to. Nintendo are running out of design Ideas and are just putting random things together without any real thought anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look right.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
    Years
  • they don't look that much different from Gen IV at least to me. When I first saw the black dragon I thought it looked like something from yugioh or Final fantasy

Jarate

The Jar Based Karate
    Years
  • THESE are Digimon:

*some Pictures of Digimon*

And...Those are some of the most detailed Digimon ever created. There are many Digimon just as detailed or less detailed than Zekrom. The level of detail isn't what makes Zekrom digimonish so much as it's the way the head was drawn, the overall feeling from the Picture, and other things.

Jarate

The Jar Based Karate
    Years
  • Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Both Digimon and Pokémon come in detailed and less-detailed varieties.

Though yes, you won't find Pokémon at all as detailed as the ones I posted.

Ah, I misread your point as, "Digimon are usually more Detailed than even Zekrom. Therefore Zekrom does not look like a Digimon."

Years
  • to me pokemon are supposed to look like animals.. and i feel like with the legendaries they tend to go over board. like when kyogre came out i was like ok pokemon is taking a wrong turn here cuz i dunno wtf this is supposed to be. then the next generation they just didnt give a f*** and both every single legendary till this day i have no idea wth they are.

pokemon is definitely becoming more digimon imo.. sad but true

Back