• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheating - when is it okay?

When is it okay?

• It's NEVER okay!

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • It's okay if you don't really abuse it.

Votes: 62 57.4%
  • It's okay if you want to, but I wouldn't do it.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Man, cheating is AWESOME! Diglett knows FLY?! HELL YEAH!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    In your opinion, is it okay to cheat? When is it okay? What's not okay?

I believe that cheating is okay to obtain things you can't obtain anymore or with another game pack. So using a code to make a certain Pokemon appear is okay, as long as it's not obtainable in your game. But hacking Fly onto a Diglett, or Hydro Pump on a Charmander, isn't okay.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I dont really like cheating on pokemon, it ruins the game.

To expand on that, it ruins the adventure, the fun and the challenge. What is the point of playing a game that isn't fun. The whole point of a game is to have fun and amuse the players. However, that can be overuled by people saying "Oh well cheating is FUN!". Okay, I have cheated once only that to be honest, it's can be okay to cheatif you don't abuse it, but if you do abuse just be ready to suffer some consequences.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014

Okay, I have cheated once only that to be honest, it's can be okay to cheatif you don't abuse it, but if you do abuse just be ready to suffer some consequences.

Yeah, exactly. I play in an emulator (because I misplaced my Game Boy) and all I really do is make certain Pokemon appear that don't appear in Crystal, but only at the right times, if it makes any sense. Like, once I made it to Cerulean City, I made a Mewtwo appear. All I did was make it appear and set it's level to 75; I caught it legitimately, but weakening it and throwing a Pokeball.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    Personally, I think cheating ruins the fun and challenge of a game, so I don't really like to do it. If someone really likes cheating, I think that's fine, so long as they're not affecting anyone who wants to play legitimately.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Yeah, exactly. I play in an emulator (because I misplaced my Game Boy) and all I really do is make certain Pokemon appear that don't appear in Crystal, but only at the right times, if it makes any sense. Like, once I made it to Cerulean City, I made a Mewtwo appear. All I did was make it appear and set it's level to 75; I caught it legitimately, but weakening it and throwing a Pokeball.

Lol. Honey, you can't catch it legitmately if it appears not legitmately. :)

Blew

Blew Your Mind!
    Years
    I really don't see the point of cheating, it totally defeats the object of the game. If other people choose to cheat their game, that's fine by me!

Shnappy

First-ever pants pokemon
    Years
    Me, I only think that's it's okay when you clone things. Other than that, I think it just ruins the experience of the game. If you just rip through a game with an AR, where's the fun in that? What's the point of buying the game in the first place?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Considering that this thread is in the GenI/GenII section, and I have ROMs for all GenI/GenII games short of the elusive English Green, I think it's only fair to cheat so long as you don;t take the game seriously. I recently did a playthrough of Red where I hacked a Mewtwo as my starter and just wrecked everything in the game for the fun of it. XD

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
    I used to cheat to get the events. Nintendo never thought about the people in small countries like Costa Rica that can't travel to the United States or Mexico (which is my case). At least all the events are on Wi-Fi now but I wish they would repeat some events so people that missed them could get a second chance (like me with the Lati@s event).

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    It ruins the point of the game. People who actually went to events or imported games to get such pokemon deserve what they have. While people who cheated, even if it's impossible to get such pokemon on their version or in their region, ruin the value of having such a rare pokemon. It's even more sad when cheated pokemon are traded without telling the receiver.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I don't think its ever okay to cheat on a Pokemon game or in real life.
    So yeah, I thinks okay to cheat.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    Honestly, I think cheating should always be permissible to accomplish the things you badly do not want to do. Eg. Grinding weaker pokemon, catching rare pokemon in certain routes not necessarily by hacking them, but by increasing the speed of the game. I now play on roms to avoid having to erase my handheld games and I personally think that the speed up button actually makes the gaming experience more enjoyable.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    ...I personally think that the speed up button actually makes the gaming experience more enjoyable.
    Yeah, my first playthrough of Silver via emulation lasted I think seven hours; I always used the speed button.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    it's OK if you do it while you play the game.
    it's definitly not OK for competitive battle!
    Well in my point of view even cheating in the game is wrong. Competitive battling definately, but cheating a sa whole is I think wrong; however it may be appropriate in certain situations where you cannot abotain and event pokemon. No shinies, no normal pokemon just event pokemon. I mean, come on; Shiny pokemon are meant to be rare for a reason their shiny. Making them appear because of code or a cheat is ruining the whole feel of them, all the feelings you get when you realise you've found something very rare and unique dissapear. D:
    But meh, I don't have the right to say if people should cheat or not, as long as no-one else forces me to cheat, then but all means go ahead.
    Me, I only think that's it's okay when you clone things. Other than that, I think it just ruins the experience of the game. If you just rip through a game with an AR, where's the fun in that? What's the point of buying the game in the first place?
    I don't even think cloning pokemon is allowed to be done without being classified as cheating or getting-around-something. But if you thinks it okay, have fun. :)

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    Cheating is okay when A. you're young and stupid like I was when I hacked Silver, or B. you've finished a game and want to have a little bit of extra fun with it, i.e. forming a team made up entirely of Wonderguard Spiritomb to effectively piss off everyone you know. Points if they're all level one.

Last edited:
    Back