• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheating - when is it okay?

When is it okay?

• It's NEVER okay!

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • It's okay if you don't really abuse it.

Votes: 62 57.4%
  • It's okay if you want to, but I wouldn't do it.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Man, cheating is AWESOME! Diglett knows FLY?! HELL YEAH!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    I only ever use my Action Replay in places where I've finished my game. I never cheat or hack the game when I'm playing the story but once that's over, I allow myself to do some simple cheats. nothing like level 100s or stuff like that but small things that make the after-game better. For me, using my Action Replay enhances the game after I've finished the main part of the game. However, I won't cheat when it comes to WiFi battles or anything involving other people because that's really cheating.

Last edited:

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    The only cheat code I use is the walk through walls one. I use it because I hate to teach my Pokemon the crappy HM moves. >_<

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I like using Pokesav to create my own Event Pokemon but they're not ridiculously-powered LV100 Shiny Legendary Pokemon or anything like that. I did recreate the Shiny Legendary Dogs for Platinum and I did recreate Movie Mewtwo for Platinum. But those were merely tests to see if it worked - I was after a PokeRadar which I received through making my own event - a friend used his AR to activate the National Pokedex before I completed the Elite Four, thus not allowing me to obtain it.

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
    Years
    it's OK if you do it while you play the game.
    it's definitly not OK for competitive battle!
    I agree with this. I used an action replay for platinum ( nothing major just for not having to buy repels and such and also for easying leveling when I needed it) and I kinda regreted it. I don't think I'll ever do it again but I have no problem with people who do.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
    Eh, I personally stopped doing it but have nothing against anyone does as stated before as long as im not affected. I will admit though using cheats to generate shinies is never okay in my book knowing you got a shiny legit is part of what makes them sparkle to me. Go spend hours with the pokewalker and have ur chain broken by a Bidoof like everyone else

NatureKeeper

I sometimes used SendPKM to create my own Pokémon. Usually I either release them or keep 'em in the PC. Nothing more. I tried sending an Azure Flute, but the flute didn't work. >.<
    I rarely ever get them touched, or activate an event if they can.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I haven't used AR or GS since I was a little kid, but I don't care if people cheat on their own games so long as they don't try to trade hacked Pokémon off as real ones or use them competitively.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    I only do it to get pokemon who are not obtained w/o trading. I use the modifyer codes to catch the missing Kanto/Johto/Hoenn pkmn in Diamond

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I don't count the glitches in R/B/Y/G/S/C as cheating...every game has a glitch or two.

I'm going to be honest. I cheat. I don't do crazy movesets and all that. It's just way too complicated for me but I do get Pokemon that I just cannot obtain through HeartGold and to help complete my Pokedex. I also like to breed so I usually grab some Pokemon of same egg groups or to get shinies and stuff.
    I don't think I've ruined my game for myself. I still have tons of things to do in it and just because I may have some illegitimate Pokemon there doesn't bother me.
    I just don't like it when you cheat to compete in tournaments and have a better outcome. It isn't fair and I know I would be pissed if you had a level 100 Shiny Diglett that knew Fly in a tournament.

Years
    I use my Action Replay a great deal, mostly with getting certain items, money, gaining levels quick when I don't feel like doing it the legit way and help catching the occasional Pokemon. I don't know anything about using the AR for IV, impossible movesets and uber Pokemon for competitions.

I follow the rule of never using my AR for Wi-Fi battling. I only use the AR for personal stuff.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    I do cheat, and do not give a rat's arse about it.
    But I do have my limits. 999 on all/one stat? Teaching a Dugtrio Hydro Pump? Not for me.

Eivana, some people who cheat have something called a job and/or school, not to mention other responsibilities that barely gives them time to do anything game-related. Or, [le gasp], A LIFE. It has nothing to do with being weak.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    It doesn't matter if you cheat or not (not because I cheat sometimes in these games) but everyone has their opinion on cheating. If someone is cheating while I'm playing, I will cheat right back by getting my Action Replay. If people believe that cheating is their way of enjoying the game, then let them

:t354:TG

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I agree with everyone has their view towards cheating to complete the game, receive items the easier way, or do silly things like walk through walls but to me, I find it unnecessary. If you cheat to get things that take a while or are a bit difficult to obtain in the game, then what gives off a good challenge? A lot of people already complain how the game is barely challenging so cheating just has no challenges input and everything becomes easier. I never cheated throughout the game because I like some kind of challenge and I find it more fun to play the game the right way rather than having it in a cheated way. :( This is just my two cents anyway.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I cheat to be silly. I do bigger cheating after beating the game. But more than 99% of the time I play regularly. I find the games only to be easy for me because I've been playing them for thirteen years, giving me thirteen years of experience, rather than the three days worth of experience most people seem to expect to have for themselves when they play a game they've been playing for just as long. So, sometimes it is very challenging for me, sometimes I sweep the game in under two days. But cheating is ok on a game of Pokemon. It's yours, it should be played how you want to play it. But like Kaori said, it kind of defeats the challenge purpose of it if you cheat the moment you get the game.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    I personally don't find it okay, but different people like different things, I guess. The only time I've 'cheated', or at least you may call it that, is/was moments when I clone Pokemon so I can trade them. Besides that, I play through the game to have fun, which would mean no cheats for me.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I only cheat on emulators, and only codes like; Faster talking and stuff, the only codes I'll use on my Ds are IV/EV checking along with cloning and once again faster text.

I don't think it's okay when you go over the top for like "Enter this code and there will be a Lv100 shiny legit celebi with PKRS ev'...." Its endless .___. Those ones are stupid/

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I never really cheated on a pokemon game, Im old fashion on that. Im not sure if you consider this a cheat but I clone all my strongest pokemon on emerald and use them in important battles.

L5Animations

Gamer & Shiny Hunter
    Years
    For me cheating is never OK, and there's no justifying it. To get a Pokemon not normally obtainable? Oh, please, just trade! Not like it's impossible. Or, just migrate for 4th gen games. Through those methods, EVERY Pokemon (excluding 5th gen) is currently obtainable.

Back