• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Cheren? Bianca? But I wanted to name them Jack and Jill!

What do you think of not being able to name your rivals?

• Total voters

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    If they hadn't named them, I'd probably have given them generic names anyway. Though just for fun, every time I'd face Cheren in battle I'd call him "Galactic Commander Charon" simply because their names are so similar. And they both wear glasses.

kelario26

PKMN Breeder
    Years
    You didn't get to name your rival in R/S/E, which didn't really matter because you only battled him once.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    I'd have liked to name them after my friends because they'd feel like proper rivals. Instead of being annoyed by them (it's not their fault; I'm just like that), I might actually find them interesting. I've always enjoyed games where you have the option to name the characters more than the ones where you don't. I suppose it's just two people that show up now and then. Not the end of the world.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I don't mind. In fact I like it. It's more RPG that way, and having to name 3 people... oh goodness >!< I like when things are official. Like Wally.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I dont mind not being able to name the Rivals because I would usually give my Rivals bad word names or names that indicate that they are weak, suck and need to stop raising Pokemon in general

:t354:TG

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years

I like Cheren's name cuz I get to laugh at how girly it sounds. xD
    I have to admit, Cheren does sound awfully close to Sharon. XD

Anyway, I only just realised I didn't vote in my own poll. XD It seems most people don't mind, which doesn't suprise me. :P
    I am not posting just to bump up my thread, I swear. ^^'

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    Cheren is a dumb name

First of all, what kind of name is Cheren anyway?
    It almost sounds like Sharon, which in english is a girl's name.
    To me it seems like the translation team did a poor job of Anglicizing his name.
    Furthermore it isn't really a name that strikes me as bing the utmost of intelligent names. I thought he's supposed to be like this battle wiz or whatever.
    He consistently loses, and even then he wants to become the unova champion? I mean really? He's a fool.
    He meets the current champion, whom you'd think that Cheren would recognize, and acts like he's never seen the guy before. Now we all realize that the champion is well celebrated, and is seen on TV. Clearly Cheren isn't such a battle wiz.
    I would like to move that Cheren never be called Cheren again, and a new name is given to him.
    Okay.... so maybe this can't be dumb but stilll....
    Cheren is a dumb name.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hah, the only times I stray away from defaults are by calling Gen I rival Blue / Gary (Can't remember which one is default) and deciding Barry should be named Pearl after the PokéSpec character.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    Every time I see Cheren's name, I think "Shaaaaaarrrroooon!" Yeah, Ozzy Osbourne reference right there. Still, it never fails to crack me up.

He seriously needs a name change, though.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    I would have just named them what ever name was the default in the list the usually give you. The only rival I ever named was Silver from G/S, since I thought it was dumb that he had red hair, but his name was silver, so I named him Red... little did I know...

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I don't mind but the name Cheren always seemed annoying for me. Not a big issue, though.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Doesnt really matter to me. Just glad that theres two instead of the usual one. Makes it much more diverse :D. There names are better than what i would have came up with, though Cherens is a bit ehhh..Biancas suits her personality perfectly. Though I probably would have named Cheren Black or White, or Bob ;_;.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I could've given them names...but to me, Cheren and Bianca seem to suit them now. Also, I normally give my rival the name of the other version (Silver, Blue / Green...although Barry is often Barry, not Pearl, due to the presence of Dawn), which would've been complex as there isn't a third version. Obviously, in the third version, if we got the option to name them, I'd be Black, one'd be White, and one'd be the third version, and it'd all work.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I'm not good at naming things, but I was quite annoyed at having the names of the rivals set to Cheren and Bianca. I would've liked to at least have the choice of being able to name them whatever I wanted. It was the same for me when I was playing RSE and the rivals' names were set to May and Brendan. -.-

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I honestly didn't even realize it at first.

I don't mind at all actually. It gives them more character in my opinion. I usually just named my rival the first thing that came to my head, which has no meaning. I feel like Bianca and Cheren both have meaning behind their names.

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
    Years
    It really bothers me. The name 'Bianca' is so ugly ugly ugly. Now I'm tortured to hear that name forever--I would've named them Jeremy and Aelita.

Cookies to whoever gets the reference.

Oh, hey, I remember Code Lyoko...

On the subject of the thread, I'd rather they kept the ability to name your Rivals. Not for myself, though, as I always just use their official names anyways, but it doesn't really make sense to remove a feature that no one had complained about at all, at least that I know of. I like looking through their alternate names, too, just to see what they came up with... Eh. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    Bianca and Cheren means White and Black respectively so I think it really suits the theme. But personally I dont mind not being able to name them. gives them a sense of identity

Years
    I voted for the dislike, but Bianca and Cheren seem to be the best names yet!

Good job on the naming, Nintendo!

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    I wish I could have named them, because I found some really cool RL friends that I didn't know played Pokemon anymore, and I was going to name them after them.

Back