• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Chikorita was released! Good-bye Chikorita!"

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I've recently discovered that there are a variety of opinions regarding whether you like to keep your starter throughout the whole game or box and/or release it at the first opportunity.

Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?
    -If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?
    -If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?

I prefer to keep them, although on certain games, I'll ditch it, most notably, the 2nd Generation games and remakes, I don't like the 2nd Generation starters, and If I've already used all the starters at some point I'll ditch them in a new game. Like in my new White run through, I've ditched Tepig because' I've used it and don't like it.

-If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?

I'll just replace it with the same type, or if my team doesn't need a Water/Grass/Fire, I'll just use a random Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?: Yes, I've always kept my starter in every Pokemon game I played
    -If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?: In a way, yes.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Do you prefer to keep your starter with you the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different Pokemon?
    Eh, most of the time I'll keep it throughout the main game and boot it into the PC once I go to the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway. Exceptions include Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow, (swapped for Jolteon) Quilava in SoulSilver, (swapped for Flareon) and Charmander in Pokemon Red (swapped for a....crap, I forgot :p)

If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of Pokemon do you replace it with?
    Most of the time it'll be a cooler looking Pokemon or a stronger Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015

I keep it the ENTIRE game, it's always my strongest pokemon.

-If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?

Sort of, its just the first pokemon you get in the game. Why abandon it? The LEAST you could do with it is use it for the bs HM's.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Most of the time, I don't get rid of my starter, but that's normally because I pick a Fire type, of which there aren't that many to begin with. In Black, however, I chose Oshawott, and kept it until the Elite Four. But if I'd gotten a Rod earlier, it would have been "bai bai, Samurott".

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I always keep my starters. I thought you had to xD But seriously, it's the first Pokemon you get, and I keep it because of that, it's special regardless of whether there are stronger Pokemon out there.

-If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your Pokemon?
    It definitely does. It's your oldest companion afterall. The first child.

Years
    It depends, but usually, yes. In Unova, I didn't even evolve it into it's final form before switching it for a different Pokemon because I really didn't like it, or any of the other Unova starters.
    Yes! My Empoleon (Nicknamed Pengi) was my first level 100 on a Pokemon game :3 I still have it today. And even though I ditched Dewott, I still felt kinda bad about it.

In Unova, I replaced my Dewott with a Vanilluxe. So, I guess stronger, different typed Pokemon, and Pokemon that appeal to me more.

-totodile42

Last edited:

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
    I like to keep my starter almost all the time. If anything other than that, I may trade it for it's kids instead.
    I suppose there's that feeling of mutual loyalty when you have that Pokemon that's been with you from step one... for a straight answer I'll say yes. I'd feel bad too every single time I talk to the professors, even though I know they're never going to say anything.

But my starter is always the one that I'll put my shades on with and say "LEZ DO THIS".

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Yes, my starter Pokémon is always in my team because I feel bad for it when I keep it in the PC box. ;__; Plus, it is usually my strongest Pokemon. :D

If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?
    Yes.

The Eagle

I choose Agumon!
    Years

- I always keep my starter pokemon. Its always the strongest.

- Well apart from the fact its just a game and they are not capable of feeling, yeah I suppose it does.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I usually do keep my starter, unless I have a challenge that involves not using it. And I never like to keep them in DPPt cause that's my least favorite batch of starters (almost typed challenges wtf?). I don't think it deepens any bond though...lol

If I drop it, I usually replace it with something of its type (even though Stoutland replaced my starter on my last Black playthrough, I did teach it Surf, and I started with Oshawott...sooo...sorta? lol). In the case of challenges though, I usually enter challenges that might involve not using a starter type at all. They're usually pretty random. @_@

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I actually depend on my starter Pokemon for most of my journey. It is my strongest and should be the leader of my party. There are only a few times when I toss it in the box, and that's only for a little bit. I only went through one monotype challenge, so I chose Squirtle. Yes, this does deepen my bond with my starter Pokemon. I just grow a certain kind of affection towards it.

There was only one time when I actually released my starter Pokemon. I received a Chikorita through a trade and its nickname was very inappropriate. I didn't want my cousin to see it, so I decided to bid it farwell. I hate releasing Pokemons, so the chance of me releasing a starter is even more slim.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I usually do, largely do to me not being big on competitive teams. I usually make sure I pick my favorite starter so I don't regret it later.

Yes, to an extent. I usually feel as though the starter is the mascot of my team that stand at my side and lead my team into battle. More often than not I level them up to make sure its one or more levels ahead of the rest, to assert the dominance of this role.

I use a couple of starters in my ultimate team (cross-generation, most high preferences team). Its not made to be competitive in Pokemon choice, just other areas like type, IV, movesets, etc,

pokehearts

I like trains.
    Years
    Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon? Yes I usually do, most times. Sometimes I'll use 2 starters, but trash the second.
    If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon? No not really

UltiMoth

The Ultimate Ulgamoth
    Years
    I would usually keep it with me till midpoint or endgame, if I find another pokemon of the same type to replace it with that I think may be stronger with better IVs and/or a better movepool, or if I just plain like that pokemon better.

If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?
    The bond would definitely be very deep when you go all the way with your starter. It was like that with Yellow, and when I talked to my Pikachu, he had all these hearts floating around his head and he looked so happy to be with me. But staying true to the anime, Pikachu had refused to evolve, so I kept feeling tempted to replace him with a much stronger, fully evolved electric pokemon. But I kept him; he just loved me so much and I couldn't let him go!

If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?
    I would replace it with another pokemon of the same type, depending on which ones I feel would be a better option.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Except for Yellow and that epically weak Pikachu I keep my starter throughout my entire game. It typically only gets boxed when I battle with my bred "competitive" team. I always get the starter up to level 100 as I do with my entire in-game team.

Not quite that, but something similar: I do feel guilty if I don't use my first partner all the way through the game. It would feel like I abandoned the one member I had since the very beginning.

If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?
    In Yellow only, that Pikachu got replaced by Voltorb as soon as I could.

Years
    Keep it, but once I sent my Mudkip packing.

The only time I ever "bond' with my Pokemon, is in a Nuzlocke run, and I always keep my starters in Nuzlockes.

Early game stuff, like the regional derps and regional birds. Maybe some stronger ones, later.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014

I keep my starter all the time. Also, I never ditch my Pokèmon with a high happiness ratio.

Yes. I don't know why. I think it's because...nah, I really don't know.

Some random Pokèmon wearing a berèt with a French accent who likes painting.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I always keep my starter, and it's either the most powerful pokemon of my team at any given time, or sometimes, the only pokemon in my team other than HM slaves.
    Sometimes.

Back