• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Children's books you love

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    Books, so I guess this goes here...? If not, then sorry. D:

I was thinking of this because I've found myself obsessing recently over this book of poetry I used to read a lot when I was a kid. I found out my parents gave it to charity, and I just want to read it again so badly. Look at the pictures, mostly. It's not that it would transport me back to a certain point in my childhood, although that might be a side effect, it's that it would bring me back to the world inside that specific book. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's a powerful urge.

plus also there was a poem in there that I was thinking might have gone over my head when I was five or six, and I want to see if it really has the subtext I've realized it might have now. :E

And this got me thinking about children's literature in general. I'm mostly referring to books for pretty young kids, picture books and beginning readers' books - stuff you would read in elementary school. I thought of all the authors and illustrators that create such touching material - Jack Prelutsky, Leo Lionni, Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, Maurice Sendak, Shel Silverstein, James Stevenson, Bill Peet, and I should probably stop right now before I get carried away. Who are your favorite children's authors? have you gone back and looked over books that were read to you, or that you read when you were young? How did they make you feel?

...actually, the more I think about it and look it up on Amazon without success, the more unhappy I am about losing this poetry book. I can't think of how to explain to my parents what it meant to me. They thought it was sort of crappy and weird, and maybe it was, but I loved it anyway, and it doesn't matter if things actually aren't all that "good" when you're a kid, because they become a part of you regardless.

Long post is long, sorry, but I often find myself feeling unexpectedly emotional about this topic.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I love the Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events series. They're just great books with a load of thought put into the characters and story. Great series. I wouldn't classify them as "kiddy books", but they're aimed at a younger and older audience at the same time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Beatrix Potter was great, I seem to remember reading (and being read to) a lot of the 'The Tale Of...' books when I was younger. I recall The Wind in the Willows being read to me aswell.
    When I got a bit older and started reading for myself, I think Roald Dahl was my first favourite author, I would read a lot of his books to myself and some Enid Blyton books also.
    I enjoyed reading 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' (agree with you there, THS) and 'The Saga of Darren Shan'. I think those were the last 2 fictional series that I read before I moved on to reading factual books instead.

Andcetera

Jigglypuff~<333
    Years
    When i was a child, i LOVED Eric Carle's Books D:
    I would spend so much time in the library just looking at those books over and over again.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    Lots of people like Beatrix Potter, like me..
    Such cute stories, and illustrations
    I also like Daniel P. Mannix's, The Fox and the Hound, which was later made into one of my favourite films by Disney.. >.<

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    In The Night Garden books, i like Makka Pakka and so does my nephew so it is fun to read together, when i am reading them to him i start to get tired and so he see's me asleep so he copys me and falls asleep with me in my arms.

I can't say that it is clasified as a Children's book but it is aimed at under six.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Stuff by Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, Robert Munsch, and Beatrix Potter was always good.

For series of books... uh...Arthur, Franklin, Little Critters, Babar, Curious George, Paddington Bear, and Madeline.

And Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are

You could buy all of this when I was little. Outside of libraries you're not going to find this classic stuff anymore. Everything is now short stories based on Dora the Explorer and Hannah Montana. Shame.

dylandutra

Cap'n Jazz
    Years
    Children's books you love

Years
    Wow, uhhh, I don't remember the books I read back then.
    In Primary School I was behind the rest of my class at reading :/
    So I have always read books ahead of what I should be since then.

I read the hobbit and the LotR's books when I was about 10 =]

Back