• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Chimchar,Turtwig or Piplup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellishall123

ThE mAsTeR oF dArKnEsS
    Years
    I prefer Chimchar because you can capture abra at the beginning by using taunt and he learns mint fremoves and hes the best against most of the gym leaders

ceremony

rah rah
    Years
    well i picked chimchar because i never started with a fire pokemon. but i think turtwig is best because tortella looks awesome

ellishall123

ThE mAsTeR oF dArKnEsS
    Years
    Turtwig and piplup

I dont like Turtwig because its really slow so if its down on hp and the other pokemon is youre counting on it to hit first and sure it learns better moves in later evolutional stages,but its just too slow.As for piplup,its just boring and its only got good defense.My two friends started with piplup and turtwig and i destroyed them both when they were all lvl100

RangerLunick

Rookie Ranger
    Years
    Piplup looks cooler, so I picked it. Chimchar might have bee a better choice merely for trivial things such as battling and completing the game though (mostly due to it and Ponyta being the only evolutionary lines in the Sinnoh region)

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
    MA I the only one who chose Chimchar because I like monkeys xD Everyone seems to be like, this ones stronger and better against that one. I don't really care actually xD I just <3 chimchar

RIMHfire

Fire User
    Years
    In every single game I've picked the fire type, no matter how stupid I thought it looked. Fire can almost take out everything, and single in Diamond and Pearl the only other fire type is Ponyta, which doesn't learn and real Fire type moves until its been trained up a bit.

Bit for the first time ever, when I got Diamond I chose Piplup for a change of scenery. XD

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
    Chimchar (obviously) I thinks he looks better and stat wise it's better than Piplup and turtwig and plus when it evolves in to infernape it can use a fighting type move on empoleon.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    I picked turtwig but i regret it and wish i had picked piplup, its extremely difficult to go through the game with torterra, especially the steel gym

charblaze

Charmander
    Years
    Usually i'd go with the fire type. but in DP i'd get puplip.
    Why? cuz steel is unbreakable element (almost) and water pokemon are 2nd best next to fire .lol

dont worry about the gymleaders get starly lol! (for gym and rival!)
    my advice

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Competively, chimchar is better, but I chose piplup in diamond because in my opinion it looks the best. In pearl I chose turtwig because I like its last form.

Pookachu

Chuck Norris
    Years
    Chimchar because of Infernape being a beast xd. Also picked Chimchar because of the lack of fire types throughout Sinnoh.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    I dont like Turtwig because its really slow so if its down on hp and the other pokemon is youre counting on it to hit first and sure it learns better moves in later evolutional stages,but its just too slow.As for piplup,its just boring and its only got good defense.My two friends started with piplup and turtwig and i destroyed them both when they were all lvl100

Not all too hard, because Infernape is faster AND has an advantage over both; that being a Super Effective hit for both of them. (Fighting for Steel, and Fire for Grass)

As for me, I chose Piplup, because it broke the rather short damage from Generation III to my statement of liking the Water type Starter Pokemon. For R/S/E, I chose Blaziken over Swampert, because I wasn't really impressed by it, like a horde of people were. My dislike for Mudkip was also pretty much deepened by all the; and I'm sorry if I offend with this, stupidness of the "Do you liek Mudkips?" phrase.

Piplup, on the other hand, I really liked it, and was relieved that they had brought in a Water type I liked, for Starter. XD Water types really stand out, for me, when I play Pokemon games. Rather than thinking "OMG, I need ultimate powar!" I go for what I like; although I won't go doubting that the people here who say they chose Chimchar for strength, also like it, as a Pokemon.

I'd say Turtwig would be the second choice, and coming behind it would be Chimchar, which is a reverse of the last two in comparison of my preference for G/S/C; I liked Totodile over Cyndaquil, over Chikorita. XD But also liked Squirtle over Charmander, over Bulbasaur; though it was really close for Charmy and Bulba..

Sheek

Paladin
    Years
    I went with Chimchar when I got Diamond, mainly because there aren't any Fire types you can really get in the rest of the game (pre-Elite Four) aside from Ponyta/Rapidash. Also, the nicknames I thought of for Chimchar were better than the other two.

Personally, I think the Generation IV Starters are the best since Generation I.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I'm more of a Piplup guy. You can always get the other starters, and what's there not to love about a Water/Steel emperor penguin? :D

deco11

Custom User Tile
    Years
    I chose chimchar, because, I always get the fire starter.

I chose Torterra in one of my games but it was much harder. I thought about getting Piplup except:
    Infernape and Torterra are super effective aginst it and since Infernape is faster, it has no advantage at all

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2010
    Picked chimchar and I'm 100% happy with that choice, it's a great starter. That, and grass and water are easier to find than fires, for example, buizel and shinx with a chimchar is great.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back