• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Choice Items

Sirfetch’d

Often seen in competitive play is the use of choice items. These items can be very helpful because they either increase the power of a Pokemon's moves by 50% or speed by 50%. The only downside to these items are that they lock you into a specific attack until you switch out.

Here is a description of the items:

Choice Band- ChoiceBand increases your Pokemon's attack by 50%, but it may not change moves until it switches out.

Choice Specs- Choice Specs increases your Pokemon's special attack by 50%, but it may not change moves until it switches out.

Choice Scarf- Choice Scarf increases your Pokemon's speed by 50%, but it may not change moves until it switches out.

So how often do you use choice items when battling? Which of the three choice items do you prefer? Is the use of choice scarf on a Pokemon as a revenge killer a good strategy? Do you think using these items puts you at a disadvantage? Discuss.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2016
    While not a fan of choice items. I do find them effective in some cases. My favorite is scarfed heracross in ubers. Heracross himself is a solid counter to a decent chunk of ubers pokemon. Scarfing him actually lets him outspeed a lot of pokemon. Slap Guts and sleep talk on there to counter dark void on Dakrai ad youre set. I OHK'd a dialga with a close combat. Im not however a fan of attack boosting choice items. I greatly prefer the ability to have versatility over the power.

Brolijah

Secretly (Not) Active
    Years
    Well, the Choice items always seemed to hava focus in the Ubers (from what I've seen), but some very common OU Pokémon. I'm not too big on using them, but I do have a couple good uses. Choice Scarf usually is more preferable for me cuz I believe it to be better to hit fast and hard at the same time. If *sonic's voice* "you're too slow", you'll get knocked out before anything. I just roll with Adamant Moxie Scarfed Salamence. Good to send out if I'm gettin owned without me getting so much as a scratch on the opponent. It lets you out-speed most Pokémon. However, there's still plenty of checks and counters for this... Would I say it puts me at a disadvantage? Not so much since it turns into a game of chance after its 2nd turn or so.

Ace.

Love Yourself
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2015
    I used to hate Choiced Items before since I knew nothing about them and I thought they just forced you to choose one move but then I found out what they did and I must say they're pretty cool items but not something I'd actually use when playing a Pokemon Game. I love using Pokemon that are choiced since they usually get more stronger when equipped with this item(s). But a disadvantage is if people switch and resists the move and if people use trick but a choiced item is not needed it just pisses me off.

Hm, I think all 3 of the items are equal since it depends on the stats of the Pokemon on what to use. Personally I love using scarf because it makes a Pokemon's speed go up and it would be perfect for revenge killers like Heracross and Mienshao.

Sirfetch’d

I'm a huge fan of Choice items as well, but I generally like to only use one per team because I don't want to be too restricted. My favorite use is a Choice Band on a dragon Pokemon using Outrage since you are locked into that move anyways for a few turns and with CB equipped it just becomes deadly.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    I don't use Choice items very much, but if I do I generally prefer power over speed, in other words Choice Band/Specs compared to Scarf. The Specs in my opinion is better as it increases the power of Hidden Power, unlike the Choice Band.

I sometimes prefer to annoy a few opponents by substituting Quick Claw over Scarf on some of my Pokemon, just to make absolutely sure that it can outspeed the opponent. Even though the 20% chance makes it unlikely to see much competitive use, the opportunity to switch attacks whilst occasionally outspeeding makes this item usable.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    I don't like Choice items because they lock you into one move, but I use them. Choice Band is the reason Terrakion is so scary to face, especially when you're threatened by moves like Close Combat and Stone Edge. Choice Scarf is put to good use by Keldeo who's extremely annoying to face in the rain with STAB Hydro Pump and Secret Sword to help it plow through Blissey. Choice Specs is good on Latios with his STAB Draco Meteor, which clocks in over 60% damage to Tyranitar and absolutely destroys anything else that is not steel-type or Blissey.

Sirfetch’d

I don't like Choice items because they lock you into one move, but I use them. Choice Band is the reason Terrakion is so scary to face, especially when you're threatened by moves like Close Combat and Stone Edge. Choice Scarf is put to good use by Keldeo who's extremely annoying to face in the rain with STAB Hydro Pump and Secret Sword to help it plow through Blissey. Choice Specs is good on Latios with his STAB Draco Meteor, which clocks in over 60% damage to Tyranitar and absolutely destroys anything else that is not steel-type or Blissey.

I'd agree with this 100%. Specs Latios is one of the scariest things to face as well as Choice Band Terrakion.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Using choice items is like conducting a deal with Death. You're getting so much for about the same, if not more, cost. Playing against it is all about good prediction, though! The sooner you realize your opponent is choiced, the sooner you can exploit it.

Years
    Choice items are the closest thing to a double-edged sword, as with band/specs it could land you important 1HKO/2HKOs and scarf gives that extra speed to surprise and KO the opponent, and one Pokemon down could shift the match on your favor drastically, but if not played correctly the opposite could happen quite as easily. That's my opinion but again, don't take my words for too much because I suck at competitive battling in general.

Back