• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Clans, this, or both?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Edit: For people who don't know what the Smogon Premier League is, go here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Most of you know about one of my ideas (well, anyone who has been looking at the DCC lol): making a PC version of the Smogon Premier League. Except we change parts to our liking, and hopefully making it somewhat different (I am going to credit them for the idea anyway). Any ideas or opinions are appreciated.

Blue text shows what needs to be decided on.

This is what I have so far: We make four or six teams (four is more likely), each with one manager. The manager is the one who makes decisions for the team, selects the battlers for his/her team, and so on. The manager can participate in battles the team will have because of our small battling community. After choosing a manager for each team, we will then open sign-ups for everyone to join for about a week. Unlike the SPL, we will not have separate tiers; all battles will be 5th gen Wi-Fi only. Though, Dream World is an option if we have enough support. The rest of the tiers are not made yet or not popular enough.

Once sign-ups are finished, we will make a separate channel on the server for a live auction. All managers are expected to be online for a few hours until it ends. If this becomes an issue, we could assign each team an assistant manager to participate if the general manager is not able to show up. The host will first ask a team to nominate a player. The order by which teams will nominate players will be randomized each time every team has finished proposing a player once (any better ideas?). The host will then tell the details of said player (tiers, but I'm not sure if we should allow Dream World) and bidding will commence, starting at 3000 credits, with the nominating team automatically placing the first bid. The auction will then be in real time. Managers will simply put in their bids in the channel, raising a minimum of 500 credits. If after 15 seconds there are no new bids, the player is sold to the highest bid in the channel. The host will provide a 5 second warning before bidding is closed on a player. The host will then post updated credit totals and will then prompt the next manager in the rotation to nominate a player.

i.e.
    Spoiler:

We need to decide on the amount of players each team should have (3, 4, or 5?), and how many subs (none, 1, or 2?). Then we have to decide on how many default credits each team should have. The amount of players could be an even number so there will be no ties (with the manager included it will make the number odd of course). The advantage to an auction for choosing players, is so that all the good battlers are balanced out between all the teams.

After each team is ready, we will start a round robin tournament, so that every team will face every other team. Rather than score based on how many individual battles a team wins, the only thing that matters is who beat the most teams. Afterward, the top two teams who have beaten the most teams will face each other to determine the winner.

Another idea: before the finals, maybe allow the two teams to swap a battler or more on the other teams that have already lost.

Does anyone like this?

Also, we need to decide on a name for this as well, if this is going to happen.

tl;dr version (you might not understand the blue text though):
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Detox

While I am highly against clans, this does sound rather fun and could actually work.

Though, Dream World is an option if we have enough support.
    I guess.

The order by which teams will nominate players will be randomized each time every team has finished proposing a player once (any better ideas?).
    The first one should be random, but after that we should do it Pro Draft style, with the worst teams getting the first picks and the best ones getting the last.

We need to decide on the amount of players each team should have (3, 4, or 5?), and how many subs (none, 1, or 2?). Then we have to decide on how many default credits each team should have.

Four teams of 5, maybe another if the community is more active. Default credits should be hmmm 500,000C ?

Another idea: before the finals, maybe allow the two teams to swap a battler or more on the other teams that have already lost.
    Sounds a bit shaky but I suppose it could work out for the better.

Ill probably bbl to voice my opinion more as I am sorta busy atm.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Actually, I meant the roster amount should be an even number, because when you add manager it's odd.

While I am highly against clans, this does sound rather fun and could actually work.
    Thanks, and it does remove all the negative aspects such as spam.

The first one should be random, but after that we should do it Pro Draft style, with the worst teams getting the first picks and the best ones getting the last.
    Well, we won't have another auction once all the teams have a roster (unless you have something in mind).

Four teams of 5, maybe another if the community is more active.
    Actually, I meant the roster amount should be an even number, because when you add manager it's odd. So, 4 will probably be the best amount.

Default credits should be hmmm 500,000C ?
    Smogon's is 100k, so I think we should go for something smaller like 50k? Maybe slightly more like 60k or 70k.

this all sounds very fun and i would love to take part in this
    Thanks. ^_^

Needs more posts.

Edit: Also, we need to decide on a name for this as well, if this is going to happen.

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Though, Dream World is an option if we have enough support.

It's a possibility I guess.

The order by which teams will nominate players will be randomized each time every team has finished proposing a player once (any better ideas?).

That seems like the fairest way to do it.

We need to decide on the amount of players each team should have (3, 4, or 5?), and how many subs (none, 1, or 2?). Then we have to decide on how many default credits each team should have.

5 probably, so we don't have to worry about tie breaks and stuff. And why not just keep the same amount of credits as smog?

Yeah, maybe to get more people involved and stuff.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • I'll answer in sexy purple. Man this looks ugly, but I don't care.

I'm personally not that into Dream World because every pokemon that doesn't resist fire blast/shadow ball basically needs Shed Shell. If we can perhaps do some testing of our own and perhaps ban Shadow Tag Shandera, I wouldn't mind too much. Also TechLoom scares me (I've only played DW a few times, and I know that TechLoom's Bullet Seed wrecks even pokemon that resist it).

I agree with Syndrome on this. Random at first, and then worst team after a "cycle" gets to choose first the next time.

Make it correlate to the amount of people we have apply to be "drafted". So I don't think we can decide on this yet.

Another idea: before the finals, maybe allow the two teams to swap a battler or more on the other teams that have already lost

I don't understand this really, care to elaborate? Basically rid your team of bad players? Seems kind of harsh, and there's always next season!

A name hmmm...I can't think of anything now, but if I think of something, I'll probably just mention it on the server.

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    I don't really like the way you've set this up. :s

• Clans (teams) should have a sub-forum(s) really. For team threads and war threads.
    • There should also be a team submitting thread, where when someone makes a new team they submit there team for approval (usually by mods).
    • One player should only be allowed on one team. Team hoping rules should be enforced.
    • Teams should have a minimum of five players and a maximum of about eight.
    • Teams can challenge whoever they want to a war and set their own war rules as long as both teams agree to them.

Idk, your way just doesn't seem like any fun to me, and doesn't seem like something that will live very long. :x

Feel free to contact me if you wish to inquire further.

Also, team threads will be used to keep the team roster, war history (record), layout, signatures, challenges to and from other teams, team discussions like pokemon strategy, teams, etc. Not a "spam pit," we have mods for a reason. :/

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    And why not just keep the same amount of credits as smog?
    We could, but I don't want the auction to last too long.

I'm personally not that into Dream World because every pokemon that doesn't resist fire blast/shadow ball basically needs Shed Shell. If we can perhaps do some testing of our own and perhaps ban Shadow Tag Shandera, I wouldn't mind too much. Also TechLoom scares me (I've only played DW a few times, and I know that TechLoom's Bullet Seed wrecks even pokemon that resist it).
    I don't think we're going to have our own ban list anytime soon. ;(

I don't understand this really, care to elaborate? Basically rid your team of bad players? Seems kind of harsh, and there's always next season!
    Pretty much I guess lol.

Clans (teams) should have a sub-forum(s) really. For team threads and war threads.
    Well, there will be separate threads for every season.

There should also be a team submitting thread, where when someone makes a new team they submit there team for approval (usually by mods).
    Could work, but like I said on the server I prefer having an auction to make it more fair. If enough people don't want an auction, I'll probably remove it.

Teams should have a minimum of five players and a maximum of about eight.
    We would have to wait until BW release then. I personally don't see a problem in having a team of 5 battlers including the manager.

Teams can challenge whoever they want to a war and set their own war rules as long as both teams agree to them.
    What if no one challenges DA's 1337 clan or something similar because of all the good battlers? Force them to close their clan due to the lack of wars? Clans could reject all the good clans' challenges pretty much. :>

Idk, your way just doesn't seem like any fun to me, and doesn't seem like something that will live very long. :x
    If more people think that, I could abandon the idea.

Also, team threads will be used to keep the team roster, war history (record), layout, signatures, challenges to and from other teams, team discussions like pokemon strategy, teams, etc. Not a "spam pit," we have mods for a reason. :/
    There will be a sticky for teams' rosters and records. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in discussing a strategy when there's S&M or the server for advice on that. Do you need some place to discuss how to counter the opponent's way of battling? And if a user needs an item for their team...couldn't they just go to Trade Corner? :s I also just don't see the threads being active at all with our small community.

What you said is same as the clans back then, and they were banned eventually (not really sure why, because I wasn't active in this forum during that time). If it didn't work last time, I don't think we should revive it (without changing it).

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    What if no one challenges DA's 1337 clan or something similar because of all the good battlers? Force them to close their clan due to the lack of wars? Clans could reject all the good clans' challenges pretty much. :>

Not true really. In my experience with teams, no one ever went unchallenged, even the stacked teams.

There will be a sticky for teams' rosters and records. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in discussing a strategy when there's S&M or the server for advice on that.

Not everyone wants to leak things or get on the server. I hardly want to get on anymore due to some people on there.

And if a user needs an item for their team...couldn't they just go to Trade Corner?

Thought this was for PO?

:s I also just don't see the threads being active at all with our small community.

Then why would this idea in general be active at all if a thread isn't active?

What you said is same as the clans back then, and they were banned eventually (not really sure why, because I wasn't active in this forum during that time). If it didn't work last time, I don't think we should revive it (without changing it).

I wasn't either, but from what I can gather, some people don't like chatting style threads. I don't see the problem.

But anyway, just my thoughts on it all. Good luck with it and I hope it doesn't end up like most of the other "projects" proposed here.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now
    In regards to Shanderaa @ Shadow Tag, its pseudo banned on the server anyway as i put it in the rules a few weeks ago that Shadow Tag should not be used on Shanderra. I mean its obviously broken and my predictions were spot on for the other bans lol.

Precipice

I may be pure badass, but...
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2012
    This looks awesome.

Dream World- In my oppinion- is a bit broken, there are so many pokemon now that have gained abilities which threaten every team meaning you have to put aside pokemon to counter it solidly if you don't want to get raped. E.g. Shandera, Techloom.

Nope. looks good.

I'd start off with 4 if five is your maximum and then see how many people apply to join teams, if there's enough- bump it up.

Risky, very risky. Bit of a wildcard but could make it a lot more exciting.

The SUPAAWESOMEULTRACOOLBETTERTHANSMOGONLEAGUE!

nah in all seriousness i can't think of a good name.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now

Dream World- In my oppinion- is a bit broken, there are so many pokemon now that have gained abilities which threaten every team meaning you have to put aside pokemon to counter it solidly if you don't want to get raped. E.g. Shandera, Techloom.

Don't you have to do this for every Pokemon anyway lol ?

Either way Shanderaa is psuedo banned on our server anyway so yeah.

Precipice

I may be pure badass, but...
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2012
    My point is I find I often have to sacrifice more pokemon that I'd like to bring it down.

Anyway is pseudo banned so alls good

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Thanks for the input!

See: title. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Another question: Should we start clans/this now, or later (i.e. after BW release)? Are we currently active enough to even do this yet? Since the server has dropped in activity now that winter break has ended. Also, remember that we do have a few things happening when or few weeks after BW is released, such as the league revamp. So, would this including the other events be too much?

Detox

We should probably wait until B/W is released to launch this.

Detox

I think the idea is that everyone keeps getting new players.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Seems like it would be fun at first but after first one or two times it would be more like "obvious winner is obvious."
    Well, the teams would have a new roster each time, and I would probably add a rule that you cannot bid on the same player every time we have this.

Even Flow

Welcome to the Zoo
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2018
    You could do both clans and the smogon league thing? Or would that be too much clutter ?

Back