• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Color to Metal Generation "accidental surprises"?

~MasterMind~

⌊C u r i o s i t y ♫ ♥⌉
Years
  • The Red Gyarados was the most surprising i thought it was just going to be a gyarados named "red gyrados" and still be blue
    and with the daycare and breeding to was very surprising when a egg came x]

Last edited:

Poké!

And as the world ends...
    Years
  • Yeah, the Red Gyarados was surprising, but so was that you could clone and the daycare. When I got Silver and Gold, used, from an EB games I was expecting it to be like Blue, Red, Yellow, but just like you two I was wrong. I didn't end up catching the Gyarados, sadly. In later months I got Crystal, also used(a great find), at a Gamestop. Those games were the best...

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
  • what surprised me, i was expecting Kanto to be exactly like it was in the color generation, but since this game took place 3 years after the color games, the little changes caught me, like the Pewter City museum being closed, and Cinnebar Island being wiped off the map save for the pokemon center

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • Fighting myself. Everything was okay, but what really makes me happy to see is proof of storyline connection via battling your first self(assuming you had the red version earlier)

Red is the legend, and in my case, "Goku" is the true pokemon master (XD, my red version name. Sue me, it was made years ago, and I've kept it to this day.)

The color and metel generations are the best. I see it fitting to never see red ever again; his skills should be far above anything anyone could ever hope to acquire by the time the gem generation got around....Though I'd like to see him again. Fire red doesn't count of course...

FatalizSik

pikachu ftw. PIKA PI!!!!!!!!!!
    Years
  • i was surprised at how the pokemon moved in Ruby. When i saw them move i was like WOW. In the colors, silver, and gold they don't move.

ChibiVamp

>>RETRO GAMER<<
    Years
  • what surprised me, i was expecting Kanto to be exactly like it was in the color generation, but since this game took place 3 years after the color games, the little changes caught me, like the Pewter City museum being closed, and Cinnebar Island being wiped off the map save for the pokemon center
    yeah but it was more than 3 changes. no safari zone (probly cause in red, its a way to get to glitch city) and no underground paths in kanto. also the ghost tower is changed into a radio station.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • Day and night systems, breeding, and after beating the E4 they go "Oh hey you get to go back to Kanto and get SIXTEEN badges". Red Gyarados was a big shock to me, even after I found out it was just shiny, I never saw a shiny until Crystal came out.
    I was sad the Safari Zone was gone, but they had to remove it to get rid of glitch city/rare candy cheating, and the rare dogs annoyed me to no end until I heard of the move Mean Look... Made me love Haunter again =D
    Then when Crystal came it was the option to play female, took long enough...

Ceilidh

<3
    Years
  • I read loadssssssss of things about it in magazines :) I knew there was going to be pokemon eggs, night/day, male and female pokemon and a few other things.

I remember catching pokerus on pokemon crystal... I was like WTF is this? =)) and I didn't know it was rare at all.

I really really didn't expect kanto to be in the games either. I was super pissed when I realised they got rid of the safari zone :( I guess they had their reasons... the whole glitch city thing and all, but I miss it </3

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • I was quite young when I played G/S/C. I'd played R/B/Y before, but I didn't really know what to expect. I wasn't around games as much as I am now, and when I first played it through, I was suprized at a variety of things, like:
    - The Red Gyrados
    - The fact I was able to go to kanto.
    [Yeah, at the time, I was very suprized. I was too young to care about reading reviews. All I knew is what I was told by my freinds]

I actually got Gold and Silver before anyone else in my school. So everyone crowded around me during break..

Ceilidh

<3
    Years
  • I was quite young when I played G/S/C. I'd played R/B/Y before, but I didn't really know what to expect. I wasn't around games as much as I am now, and when I first played it through, I was suprized at a variety of things, like:
    - The Red Gyrados
    - The fact I was able to go to kanto.
    [Yeah, at the time, I was very suprized. I was too young to care about reading reviews. All I knew is what I was told by my freinds]

I actually got Gold and Silver before anyone else in my school. So everyone crowded around me during break..
    Same, only me and this kid Jason had it for a while.

I got it first because I got it from GAME early, mine was a USA version ~

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Haha, nothing was really a surprise to me because my friend had bought me a walkthrough for the games a month before I actually got Silver. Reading through the magazine was very interesting; breeding; day and night; new Pokémon; new evolutions; new legendaries; new people; a new region; shinies; going back to Kanto and just about everything else that was an improvement from the colour generation.

Getting the game and finding Red in Mt. Silver at the end was also brilliant. After that, my friends and I experimented with cloning. I lost an Espeon and my friend corrupted his saved data, but we figured out how to do it eventually.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Fighting myself. Everything was okay, but what really makes me happy to see is proof of storyline connection via battling your first self(assuming you had the red version earlier)

Red is the legend, and in my case, "Goku" is the true pokemon master (XD, my red version name. Sue me, it was made years ago, and I've kept it to this day.)

The color and metel generations are the best. I see it fitting to never see red ever again; his skills should be far above anything anyone could ever hope to acquire by the time the gem generation got around....Though I'd like to see him again. Fire red doesn't count of course...

Actually, Red was based off Red from the Pokemon Special Manga :x
    Same Pokemon and everything.

My surprises?
    Not many.
    I read the guide at Toys R' Us. xD

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
  • Several suprises:
    The lack of the Kanto Starters(To a 6 year old, losing his favorite Pokemon was a crushing blow)
    The Red Gyrados as well as a Shining Growlithe prior to getting to the Lake of Rage
    Breeding
    Day/Night
    Kanto
    Red

I found out all these before it came out because of a Guide I had my mom buy me before I got them. Interesting thing is I still have this guide.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The apparent notion that twenty six Pokemon could use one Pokedex entry was staggering.
    Unowns indeed.

My time at a summer play thing made shiny Pokemon and the three dogs something already known to me, and I actually took the time to read the manual so eggs weren't surprising either.

Blue Tomoshibi

Pokémon a go-go!
    Years
  • Actually the only thing that surprised me was

SAVING DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER...

I panicked wondering when I could turn the game off.

Ah the naivety of youth...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2009
    The first time I played at night, I was so freaked out by the fact that it went from day to night. I honestly thought I just needed to readjust my screen at first XD.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Accidental surprises? Pokémon getting type changes. I knew about the new types, but for some reason, I didn't realize Pokémon that had already existed were getting types added to them. So, as a result, I remember encountering Magnemite for the first time in Silver and trying to Tackle it into submission while going, "lol why is it not very effective? :D"

(Also, moves that got type changes threw me off too. Like Bite and Gust not being Normal anymore.)

I was such a n00b back then.

Back