• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Colress: Good, bad or just an annoyance?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Colress was one of Unova's three main antagonists. In a way he came off as similar to N - didn't identify what he was doing, just commented on situations and was always 'there'. His main goal was to research the true inner power of Pokémon (or something along those lines). While Ghetsis had a set role (the ultimate evil in Unova) and N was the king and ultimately the misunderstood good guy. Colress is not really good or bad, but he appears a lot in the games for no real reason.

Was he necessary? Do you think he was truly neither good nor bad? How would have you expanded his character to give him some depth or greater purpose? Did he really need to be part of Plasma for his goal?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Colress was Team Plasma's "leader" after N left. He definitely had a reason for being there. But what did he do? Let's see...

He's Chaotic Neutral. He wants to learn how to bring out the full potential of Pokémon. Seems harmless enough... But he's willing to do anything it takes for that goal. Doing experiments and messing with the Pokémon? Yeah he's probably done it. But defeat him enough times and he just goes, "Oh, your Pokémon are that strong just by you being nice to them? I'll try it!"

He's such a great character to include because in gen 5, everything's a world of binaries. Cheren and Bianca are black and white. Hilda/Hilbert and N are opposites; the chosen ones destined to clash. And then there's Colress, a colorless, neutral entity in a world of black and white. B2W2 focused a lot on this idea of "neutrality" (Marlon saying "This has nothing to do with me, so no thanks!" as an example) and Colress is the prime model of it.

He definitely didn't need to be a part of Team Plasma for the sake of his own research (in XY an NPC mentions they saw him traveling around the large stones so he definitely does his own thing at certain points). But Ghetsis is a clever man. Ghetsis spent years and years traveling, finding what and who he needed in order to reach his own ends. Meeting a person like Colress, who also would do anything for his goals, was likely great in Ghetsis's eyes because he could offer the Team Plasma research facility to him and be able to make use of his research. In the Plasma Frigate Colress even says, "I was asked by an acquaintance to help with his research."

If anything, maybe detailing Colress and Ghetsis's encounter, and just exactly how Ghetsis convinced Colress to join Team Plasma, would add to Colress's character. By seeing their interaction, Colress's desire for knowledge could become even more apparent based on how/what methods Ghetsis used to get Colress to join him. Colress claims Ghetsis is an "acquaintance," but just how acquainted are they? Their decision to work together could even give us some more solid backstory on Ghetsis, too.

To conclude, Colress is one of my most favorite characters of the entire franchise, in terms of appearance and character, because he really exemplifies just how neutral "neutral" can be. He's cool, he's ruthless (when he needs to be), he's intelligent, and he sits right in the middle in a world of opposites.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
While he wasn't the best character in the series, he wasn't bad at all and is "cool" in my book.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 20, 2016
In my opinion he was just annoying. Though he is a little bit cool, he was annoying. His team is very hard to take down if you didn't choose tepig....or if you're a noob like me. I'm not sure how I feel about him, I don't hate him, yet I don't really like him either.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
Years
I didn't really think he was necessary. Heck I never even knew he was a leader of team Plasma. I found him pretty boring, aside from his hair looking like Internet Explorer.

So yeah, in my opinion he was just an annoyance.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
Colress didn't bother me that much. He was just... kind of there. I kind of forgot about him actually ^^;

On the other hand, I could not stand Ghetsis. I found him extremely annoying and I was so happy when I beat the game and defeated him. I probably forgot about Colress because me and the story were more focused on the evil Ghetsis.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Personally I feel as if he was a waste. Let's compare Corless to Ghetsis. The latter was one of the best villians in any game. He outsmarted his grunts (not hard but he essentially tricked them into following him blindly). He chose the most controversial thing possible, made a big deal about it and plotted his own secret plan that nobody would suspect because he was trying to be 'the good guy'. Corless was initially seen as one of the most important characters pre-release. You could tell he wasn't necessarily bad but wasn't necessarily good either.

That promotion pre game made everyone excited to see what he was all about. Who is this Corless? What does he want? What about Ghetsis? With the notable lack of Ghetsis pre-release you were left to assume Corless was the new bad guy. And then that didn't happen. I really felt as if he wasn't developed enough to truly make an impact. He's just one of those 'hello, I feel this and that and birds' - they just exist to be plain and never develop any real personality. Compared to Ghetsis he really does lose out. I'd have preferred if he was bad, though, because all throughout the game you have Corless as the bad one and you assume that's who you're facing off against...

Then boom. The most evil person in all of Unova. Would have played out better for me imo.

blue

gucci
Years
I never really liked him, to me it always felt like he was just there? He's a forgettable character and I can't even fully remember the reasoning for his place in the storyline.

PercyX

The darkness has just begin...
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
Well lets just say Colress was bad (lets say) .
But , if you analyze him , he caused the disasters , He gave you the solution , tried to run away from a battle and claimed he did all this for the sake of research .
According to the options I would like to go with Annoying but he wasn't even annoying ,
He ad another level of annoyance So I would like to declare him a pest .
Unlike Ghetsis who was Pure bad , wanted to rule over Unova (Bullshit to liberation) and N ,who was just naive and wanted to help pokemon ,
Colress was a true pest .

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
Years
Colress is cool, but Ghetsis is way cooler.

Colress himself isn't that much of an annoyance for me. The final fight with him was truly awesome, and at some points, better than Ghetsis' fight in BW2. Ghetsis' team in original BW was way harder than Colress' final fight.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I think his name pretty much explains his character: Colress - colorless. These games' themes draw so much from Taoist philosophy, how two apparently opposite entities are in fact complementary and interdependent, and you can see this in the way each character has a definite affinity for one of two sides, like Cheren and Bianca. But Colress just doesn't. He doesn't care about the means he employs to reach his goal, and he doesn't care about which side he takes. Ultimately, he doesn't take any side, he's with Plasma because they provide him with a means to further his studies, and he battles the protagonist, though not because he's Plasma; he is simply testing his theories.

So is he a good guy? Nope. But is he a bad guy? Not really, no. That doesn't mean that he's just there, though. I think he's a good addition to the games -- BW showed that balance is created from two opposites complementing each other (ying-yang), and B2W2 introduces another interesting concept: the nothingness, the clean slate, and Colress is exactly that.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
I really liked him, and would to see him return.

As for his standing, I'd stay neutral, yes he worked for Plasma, but more as a mad scientist. He only cares for who can further his research, no matter what the cost. Other then that he isn't evil at the core. I found him to be a pretty neat character because of it.

Back