• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books Comic Books/Comix/Graphic Novels

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
    Hey all!
    Saw that we don't have a recent comic books thread, and I figured I'd start one. Consider comics separate from manga since there's a whole other section of PC for that.

Here are some basic questions to promote discussion. You don't have to answer all of them.

• What are some of your favorite comic book characters? Why?
    • Favorite Writer? Favorite Artist? Favorite Inker? Favorite Colorist?
    • Are you a DC or Marvel fan (or any other company, really)?
    • Do you prefer traditional superhero comics, indie press stuff, creator-owned, webcomics, or anything else?
    • When did you start reading/collecting/buying comics?

Hope those are some great starting questions for everyone!

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
    My favorite comic book characters are Leonardo from the Ninja Turtles and Miyamoto Usagi from Usagi Yojimbo. They both represent leadership, honor, and a general curiosity for the world.

My favorite writer/artist is Stan Sakai of Usagi Yojimbo. Every comic he does (which is everything from penciling to inking to hand lettering to writing, and more). I'm also a big fan of writers Greg Rucka, James Kochalka, John Arcudi, and a few others. Sophie Campbell is one of my favorite artists, along with most of the artists on the IDW TMNT book. My favorite colorist is without a doubt Dave Stewart.

I'm more of a DC fan, but I think everything I get from my comic shop is either IDW, Dark Horse, or a small press.

I prefer more indie stuff. Superheroes got me into comics, but I don't follow them much anymore. I like backing comics anthologies on Kickstarter.

I started reading comics when I was a kid with the Sonic the Hedgehog comic. I then moved onto the Ninja Turtles and Batman. Since then, my taste has broadened, and I now have 2 whole book cases and 9 boxes of comics.

Sidenote: I also wrote my master's thesis on postfeminism in all-female team superhero comic books.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although I haven't read any in a while, DC and Marvel comic-books are both equally as great to me. Captain America will always be one of my favorites, with Batman not being far behind.

I don't keep up with comics too much in general, but I prefer traditional superhero ones over anything else.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I haven't read much comics since I was a kid and read St?l-Kalle and Bamse (whatever those are called in English, I don't know without googling ahha).

But I'm definitely more of a Marvel fan in general, than DC ;)

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    I'm currently tuning into the DC Rebirth Batman, Teen Titans, Titans and of course the current DC event Metal.

Don't like where Marvels going with their comics right now... I've hated the whole battle world thing from the start. X-men with old man Logan is interesting... but that's about it.

Hate the current direction of Spiderman... there's just something wrong with Mary Jane on an Iron Man comic. Peter being super rich doesn't suit his character. Miles and Spider Gwen getting it on... I miss Superior Spiderman.

Favorite Superhero's:

Spider Man - The old Spiderman comics was just like its namesake amazing... Funny, Exciting, Relatable, and Inspiring. Those are the words I can use to describe The old Peter. It went downhill after when One More day happened, even so I still love the web-slinger.

The sons of batman (The Robins) - What is there to say, All the Robins from Dick to Damian have all been amazing.

Dick Grayson - He's a happier more optimistic and has a happy go lucky attitude in contrast to his Mentor Bruce. The Teen Titans and Blood Haven run where also amazing :D

Jason Todd - Aggression without restraint, this was Jason Todd. I never really liked him as a Robin, but when he became the Anti-Hero/Villain Red Hood... I loved the crap out of it. He was an A-grade A** but he's mellowed a bit after the new 52 with him developing a Brother like Dynamic with Damian.

Tim Drake - The closest thing to Batman out of the other Robins. A great detective in his own right he actually figured out Batmans Identity. his quite an endearing character since he is the weakest on combat capabilities than the other Robins, but just like his mentor give him Prep-time and he's a nightmare to deal with XD Him and Stephanie Brown's relationship was great... it reminded me of Mary Jane and Peter.

Damian Wayne - The deadliest Robin, born as an Assassin yet grown into a hero. Bruce's Son's princely attitude is amusing, and his relationship with Alfred or Pennyworth as he like to call him, Bruce, The other Robins, and recently the Teen Titans, and Supermans son Jonathan (the new Superboy) are all interesting and fun to read.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
    Although I haven't read any in a while, DC and Marvel comic-books are both equally as great to me. Captain America will always be one of my favorites, with Batman not being far behind.

I don't keep up with comics too much in general, but I prefer traditional superhero ones over anything else.

The nice thing is that there's plenty of back catalog to those characters, so even if you're not caught up currently, you can still pick up some trades of really good storylines. Scott Snyder's work on Batman's really good. Captain America's early stuff is good, but modern Nazi-Steve Rogers is a bit of a downer.

Some of my favorite comic book characters are Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor. When it comes to my favorite comic book company, my favorites are DC, Marvel, IDW, and Dark Horse. I am a big fan of superhero comics.

I started reading Walt Simonson's run on Thor in the 80s during my train ride to work. It is really wild and kinetic. Definitely check it out. Also, you might want to give Hellboy and/or BPRD a chance from Dark Horse. They're kinda anti-heroes, but the meta story is really deep.

I haven't read much comics since I was a kid and read St?l-Kalle and Bamse (whatever those are called in English, I don't know without googling ahha).

Through the power of Google, I believe St?l-Kalle is the duck avenger in the Donald Duck/Scruge McDuck Disney line. I've always intended to read Scrooge McDuck but no luck yet. I'm not sure Bamse made it to the USA since I don't recognize it. Maybe other places in Europe?

I'm currently tuning into the DC Rebirth Batman, Teen Titans, Titans and of course the current DC event Metal.

Tim Drake - The closest thing to Batman out of the other Robins. A great detective in his own right he actually figured out Batmans Identity. his quite an endearing character since he is the weakest on combat capabilities than the other Robins, but just like his mentor give him Prep-time and he's a nightmare to deal with XD Him and Stephanie Brown's relationship was great... it reminded me of Mary Jane and Peter.
    Let us know how Metal goes. I'm interested and read Snyder's New 52 Batman run, but the superhero comics I read now are super sparse.

Tim Drake is my third favorite character in comics. It's sad to see him sidelined for Rebirth, but I hope he comes back in full force. The Red Robin series from 2010(?) is one of my favorites. I wish there was more interaction between him and Stephanie Brown in the newer reboot/reset/no longer New 52/DC being DC universe.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The Nazi arc began with their reality being altered; am I correct? I'm not such a huge fan of that.

Years
    I've been pretty pleased by the things that Brian K. Vaughan has written that I've read: Runaways, Saga, Y: The Last Man. I think Alan Moore is another whose work should be mentioned because Watchmen and the rest of his comics are all worth reading, even with the weirdness and violence you often get with him.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
    The Nazi arc began with their reality being altered; am I correct? I'm not such a huge fan of that.
    Yeah, I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I've read a current Marvel book. All I know is they Nazi-fied Steve Rogers and it's not that good.

I've been pretty pleased by the things that Brian K. Vaughan has written that I've read: Runaways, Saga, Y: The Last Man. I think Alan Moore is another whose work should be mentioned because Watchmen and the rest of his comics are all worth reading, even with the weirdness and violence you often get with him.
    Vaughan is quite good. The only full run that I've read of his is Y: The Last Man, and I'm fairly behind on Saga, but I've enjoyed almost everything he's put down on paper.

I really enjoy Alan Moore's work because it's experimental, kinda spooky, and challenges a lot of genres and archetypes. Earlier Alan Moore is a little frustrating because a lot of his books can get a little too rape-y. Kinda hard to read sometimes. Then again, I'm probably one of the few people that's read Lost Girls, and that was a slog.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
    I finally finished James Kochalka's first sketchbook American Elf diaries book. It collects about 4 years of diary comics. It was convention exclusive and came with a sketch on the inside cover. He's one of my favorite artists, and it's cool to see how his art has evolved for both his adult books and his children's books.

Here's a short documentary on him: James Kochalka.

Last edited:
    Back