• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coming changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • In the next couple of days we'll be rolling out some changes to the Game Development section. These are intended to improve the structure of the section.

What you'll be seeing is a change to Plot and Story which will be removed in favor of a more open-ended section that caters to both ideas for projects and newly started ones. This will also serve as the primary place for posting projects that do not meet the criteria of the Showcase.
    Essentially there will be two levels for game threads with the high quality ones being housed in the Showcase. This also means that the requirements for posting a thread in the Showcase will be raised.
    This might upset some people but we believe it had to be done. More details should be available shortly before we roll out the changes.

We'll also be rebranding the tutorial section to make room for guides and articles so that fellow game developers can post documentation on programs and scripts (among other things) and also still post tutorials.
    The section is intended to become a library where you'd go to get the information you need.

Lastly, Game Dev will see the addition of a tool section where things like Pokemon Essentials can be found.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

ryushin5

In College YAY! :3
    Years
  • Nice, the game development showcase is being revamped. I have one question will a new high quality game thread have to be open for a certain time period before being moved to the High quality showcase or will it be taken straight there?

Years
  • The amount of time a thread has existed on the forum does not dictate its quality, so no, time won't (or should) make any difference.

Of course, if it's obvious that the person working on the game hasn't made much progress on it, then a high quality thread won't land you in the Showcase.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I like the restructuring idea quite a bit Avatar. It will be nice to see the section as organized as the ROM Hacking section has long been.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I like that requirement Idea, I seen some really sh*tty stuff out there... No Offense

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • This change will hopefully be welcomed with open arms by our community here in the Game Dev section.
    I think a restructure is what we need now to "mature" this place up a bit.
    It will be a nice way to welcome in the new year.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    IDK about the tools section, If you are, separate it by language, since SDL will NOT work with Java and ect... But There are TONS and TONS of APIs and Game Engines out there for C++ it self, IDK how easy it will be to organize the section

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • This change will hopefully be welcomed with open arms by our community here in the Game Dev section.
    I think a restructure is what we need now to "mature" this place up a bit.
    It will be a nice way to welcome in the new year.

That soon? I was thinking that it would be weeks, if not months before the restructure would be implemented.

EDIT: Just read the first post, haha. They said a couple of days. :P

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    That soon? I was thinking that it would be weeks, if not months before the restructure would be implemented.
    Its not that hard TBH, just make new sections and delete old ones that are unneeded... No coding involved. Just put on permissions and the name and rules, the server takes care of everything. so he literally can do it in an hour

Years
  • IDK about the tools section, If you are, separate it by language, since SDL will NOT work with Java and ect... But There are TONS and TONS of APIs and Game Engines out there for C++ it self, IDK how easy it will be to organize the section
    It's meant as a section where you can find stuff made by the community much like in ROM Hacking section.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Oh add a progressing project/game section and then the game show case with the completed games and every game goes through mods for it to be in the showcase

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Oh add a progressing project/game section and then the game show case with the completed games and every game goes through mods for it to be in the showcase

Thats what he means by not so develloped games section instead of the plot/idea section. By the way, I'm curious about the new requirements to the showcase, will they still be based in number of screens and lines of text or they will be based on the game itself? Also it would be interesting to have a tab added to games that have playable content because sometimes I think people miss downloading my game because they are unaware of the existence of a demo, thx for reading this post ^^.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    IDK about the tools section, If you are, separate it by language, since SDL will NOT work with Java and ect... But There are TONS and TONS of APIs and Game Engines out there for C++ it self, IDK how easy it will be to organize the section

There's no point, as most of the sections will end up with very few threads. There aren't very many 'tools' available anyway; off the top of my head, I can only think of Essentials.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    There aren't very many 'tools' available anyway; off the top of my head, I can only think of Essentials.
    *cough*Essentials: Online? *cough* :p

I think the restructuring is a very good idea. Will make the place very organized.

By the way Avatar/Neo Dragon, if you come across the PokeDS thread while you are moving threads around, feel free to delete it. I don't think the project is going anywhere anyway.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • There's no point, as most of the sections will end up with very few threads. There aren't very many 'tools' available anyway; off the top of my head, I can only think of Essentials.

That's why this section is being set up.
    To encourage members to post them.
    It's also going to be a place to post the general tools you would use for game dev. Help make people aware of them. Such as Paint.net, or Irfanview or a character set converter. Whatever.....

@Alexandre: would ya rather I close it. I think it would be better then a full on delete. That way, if you go back to it, you can use that thread. If not, it's still there for people to read over.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    I haven't been around much due to lack of time over the past few days.
    I support this 100%.
    It includes everything that I think will improve the quality of this section.
    The tools section will give room for people to post alternatives to essentials.

I will probably have to move my game down to the section between plot and story and game showcase but I am fine with that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back