• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters
    Years
    One thing that annoys me is the river running through Blackthorn. It has bits that go down stairs to make it look like you could surf and make it look like the river goes somewhere but you can't get on it. I know it's probably just meant to be there for scenery, but I want to access it... Does it ever rain in Blacktorn?

Yeah, I get annoyed by little things...

Also, grass on Mt. Silver you can't get to...

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Accessing the town map taking a wee bit more time compared to DPt.
    Tracking Entei/Raiko/Lati@s takes some more time compared to it.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    My only complaints are it that the legendary pokemon are way to hard to catch! i mean earlier today while i was catching groudon killed it self with struggle, so i used a masterball on it and now i am battling ho-oh the same thing! and lugia was also hard enough and it was LV 45! or am i just REALLY UNLUCKY!

also the shining leaf! its already hard enough to get a black trainer card now they add this stupid leaf! I MEAN REALLY NINTENDO!

I've heard differently about the difficulty in catching the legendaries within the game. Some have captured them pretty easily, while others have been struggling, yes. So, I think it is just rotten luck that has gotten you, but yeah it is all part of the game, and HeartGold and SoulSilver isn't the first Pokémon game I've heard about that has a similar "complaint" such as yours involving the legendaries.

As for the extra star for the Shining Leaf, it really isn't considered an extra as mentiond before. It is more a replacement of the underground star in which you needed ot collect a specific number of flags.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    My new complaint is to myself, I played this on a rom for a few seconds and now I feel like a dirty whor'e.

(waits for US release)

Zodiac Realm

I'm a Negative Creep~
    Years
    my only complaint is that you seem to see wild Pokemon a lot more and when i want to get somewhere it really annoys me.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    The only thing I can really complain about is that some of the music in the GB player sounds different from the original GSC due to the hardware transition from GBC to DS.

Particularly Celadon City's Music and the sound played when a wild encounter first starts. I can here the difference, as I still actively play both my English and Japanese Crystal versions.
    It's not only that; the dynamic volume of the instruments is completely gone. Notes that are supposed to fade out instead of stopping abruptly no longer do so, just listen to the GB Champion music and GB Goldenrod.

In addition, there are a couple of notes that seem to have been removed completely in the GB Goldenrod music. It's not all bad though, they fixed an error in the scoring of the champion music. In the original, there were two notes that overlapped eachother near the end of the song, but they fixed it in the GB player.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Lol I know you don't want someone to give a reason for your complaint, and I'm not one to defend this .... "HG/SS" ... but you know look at the Rematch levels for the Gym Leaders, like Blue, he has almost level 80 Pokemon, so they had to bump up Red.

Bumping up everyone else would lead to Blue being bumped up another 10 levels, which would make Red go up another 10 again. So then 2/3 of Red's Pokemon will be level 100, not much fun now is it?

It's so much later in the game though. If you're like me and you're getting ready to fight Clair, then you're sick of fighting level 23 Graveler and level 22 Golbat. They could have at least been 27-32.

It's not only that; the dynamic volume of the instruments is completely gone. Notes that are supposed to fade out instead of stopping abruptly no longer do so, just listen to the GB Champion music and GB Goldenrod.

In addition, there are a couple of notes that seem to have been removed completely in the GB Goldenrod music. It's not all bad though, they fixed an error in the scoring of the champion music. In the original, there were two notes that overlapped eachother near the end of the song, but they fixed it in the GB player.

Awww, I'm waiting on that item and now I have to hear that it's just...meh...darn. =[ But all my GSC games still work, so I really shouldn't complain about music of all things.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    It's so much later in the game though. If you're like me and you're getting ready to fight Clair, then you're sick of fighting level 23 Graveler and level 22 Golbat. They could have at least been 27-32.

Awww, I'm waiting on that item and now I have to hear that it's just...meh...darn. =[ But all my GSC games still work, so I really shouldn't complain about music of all things.
    None of us even expected the GB player, now people are complaining about it lol.

It's the 8 bit blips is that not enough? Gosh, it's a little bit different so that means it sucks now - RUINED FOREVER

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    It sounds almost identical, so you should be pleased (Kanto Leader song still sounds awesome in GB player). Just don't be disappointed when you don't hear an exact replica.

Gosh, it's a little bit different so that means it sucks now - RUINED FOREVER
    You're only making yourself out to be an *******, just so you know. Nobody said that the entire games are ruined because of some small thing, and nobody said that all change sucks, those are your words that you put into other people's mouths. I know a genuine troll when I see one.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    my only complaint is that you seem to see wild Pokemon a lot more and when i want to get somewhere it really annoys me.
    I suggest purchasing Repels+ if it bothers you that much. Encountering Pokémon is all part of the major gameplay, so it is expected. Luckily, there are things to temporarily prevent it when desired.

None of us even expected the GB player, now people are complaining about it lol.

It's the 8 bit blips is that not enough? Gosh, it's a little bit different so that means it sucks now - RUINED FOREVER
    Well it goes like this, people learn about something unexpected and fill themselves with excitement. However, experiencing it firsthand may have different outcomes for different individuals. Some may be satisfied with the GB Player no matter its few slight differences from the exact original while others feel the need to criticize every aspect of it no less of it being a plus for the game. I think it was a well deserved input for the game, yeah it isn't exact but at least something new was tried to bring back that nostalgic relief to so many players who experiences GSC almost ten years ago.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    at least something new was tried to bring back that nostalgic relief to so many players who experiences GSC almost ten years ago.

Yeah but it makes it almost useless, because you get it at the end after you have all 16 badges, so most of the music tracks that felt nostalgic would have already passed by, like the Ho-Oh and Lugia battle, and other stuff, joo know?

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    So you'd assume that 3 years earlier that 3 trainers in Kanto would have picked Kanto starters, right? Okay, well I always believed that Red would choose Charmander, Green would choose Squirtle, and Leaf/Blue would choose Bulbasaur. But too bad, HG/SS disagrees with me! Apparently Red started out with a Pikachu and all 3 starters, while Green got no starters, and Leaf/Blue never existed! WTF!?!?!? I don't remember starting out with a Pikachu and all 3 starters in FR/LG. Seriously, I hate how HG/SS is now taking things from the stupid anime...

Ok 3/4 of this is Correct, Yes Red chose Charmander, Green chose Squirtle, and Leaf chose Bulbasaur. But Red also acquired his Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle along the way. If you want more detail go read the Pokemon Manga, its a lot like the anime but different.
    And if it were to follow the silly anime, Gary/Green wouldnt have a starter he would have his Eevee just like in Yellow. OH and an FYI this is a remake of a sequel to RED AND GREEN/BLUE! Not yellow.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Ok guys, cool it down. It's not as if we need any more sarcastic remarks to make the flame war out of this that's currently brewing. >_< Just making it worse, and it's really uneeded.

Nor is there any need to call a mere change in a team an illogical choice - stuff like that never needs the f-word being tossed around. Sure you can complain about how you may have preferred one over the other, but don't over-react as it just makes you look silly (it is a game after all), and starts the whole thing again.

So chill, all of you, or I'll close the thread. Less over-the-top complaining, less insulting those with the complaints via mocking. If you think they're silly, then go ahead and think that, just don't spam the place up, is all. =P

As they say, nothing can please everyone. Methinks HG/SS proved that. =/

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    Nor is there any need to call a mere change in a team an illogical choice - stuff like that never needs the f-word being tossed around..

Change in a team for just any random d00d wouldn't phase me at all, but it's Red!! And it's his Snorlax!! Come on, that was his trademark but oh well ... yeah flamewars are bad for the soul .... but very fun =P

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    As they say, nothing can please everyone. Methinks HG/SS proved that. =/

That's true. This game had/has a lot of hype, and to be honest, I'm not even done with it and I'm already getting bored. The wild levels are still low, which is the major turn off for me. And some people don't like the grass color (oddly enough, I agree with that!). We all have our differences. :P

Like how I hate the level 10 Magikarp in the Dragon's Den. :P

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Change in a team for just any random d00d wouldn't phase me at all, but it's Red!! And it's his Snorlax!! Come on, that was his trademark but oh well ... yeah flamewars are bad for the soul .... but very fun =P

Are you sure you're playing the same game as us? Last I remember, it was Espeon that was replaced with Lapras. I fought Red a few days ago, and his Snorlax was still there.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    That's true. This game had/has a lot of hype, and to be honest, I'm not even done with it and I'm already getting bored. The wild levels are still low, which is the major turn off for me. And some people don't like the grass color (oddly enough, I agree with that!). We all have our differences. :P

Like how I hate the level 10 Magikarp in the Dragon's Den. :P

Everything gets a lot better once you reach Kanto. All the Gym Leader levels were bumped up past 50.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
    Aesthetic Rants
    These are rants about appearances. These can be critisized, I'm just expressing my thoughts in a neat way. I don't like change.

Sabrina
    Umm, Sabrina looks as if she took fashion advice from Maylene. That's just another thing I don't like, isn't she some kind of sophisticated and calm type? Then why does she look like she's prepared to ffight someone in hand-to-hand combat? And what the heck is with those things on her arms? Why are they there, and what's the use for them other than decoration? Lastly, how come she has shorter hair? Sabrina has always seemed to be the sophisticated, formal type, but now, what the heck!?!? But oh well, I guess I can get used to her.

Erika
    This is eother a complaint or just a wierd fact. WHy does Erika look as if she is younger than she was in FRLG? Isn't HGSS supposed to be 3 years later? Then why does she look so young? Oh, I also kinda like this because she is portrayed much cuter than anywhere alse in the entire Pokemon Franchise.

Karen
    Karen is supposed to be a Dark-type Elite 4, right? Then why is she wearing such bright outfits? I can imagine her wearing a sequined black gown, but a gold top with white pants with a gold trim? Looks like she is ready to battle using Bellossom instead of Vileplume, and Espeon instead of Umbreon, and Azumarril instead of Houndoor, along with a Xatu and Alakazam.

Lance
    Nothing much except for the fact that instead of 3 years has gone by, 13 years has gone by instead. FRLG portrayed him as some young adult, while now, he resembles that of which is going through mid-life crisis.

Pryce
    His new design looks so cool and fitting, except for the fact that he looks kinda religous. I think it's the scarf, without it, it looks like he's just wearing a blue trench-coat. Around his neck, it might look fine. Around his body like that, I don't know what he looks like, but it seems a bit religous, don't you think?

Last edited:
    Years
    I think the female player is no where near as good as the one in crystal and I think that Karen shouldn't wear clothes that destroy our retina's.

And I think that you should be able to get the other two starters you didn't choose off of Red after you defeat him or something

Storm

Back