• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    HeartGold and SoulSilver have four less legendaries than Platinum, I don't really see what the problem is.

Last edited:

Nash Bandicoot

Dingodile use Flamethrower!
    Years
    Just realized the event dialga and giratina moves SUCK! I mean dialga gets METAL BURST! giratina gets SHADOW SNEAK! And the palkia comes along with HYDRO PUMP!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Just realized the event dialga and giratina moves SUCK! I mean dialga gets METAL BURST! giratina gets SHADOW SNEAK! And the palkia comes along with HYDRO PUMP!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, Hydro Pump Palkia is the most dissapointing, as there's not much utility other than being an option over Surf.

Metal Burst is great for a defensive Dialga, as it can hurt you regardless of whether you used a Physical or Special Move.

Shadow Sneak is a blessing to Giratina Origin Forme, as it can't equip Choice Scarf. Priority moves are really good with STAB

And btw, they aren't really event moves, but new Level-Up Moves. All the Box Art legends except for Suicune got two new Level-Up Moves in HG/SS:

Lugia:
    Weather Ball
    Dragon Rush

Ho-oh:
    Weather Ball
    Brave Bird

Kyogre:
    Muddy Water
    Aqua Ring

Groudon:
    Lava Plume
    Hammer Arm

Rayquaza:
    Hyper Voice
    Air Slash

Dialga:
    Power Gem
    Metal Burst

Palkia:
    Power Gem
    Hydro Pump

Giratina:
    Shadow Sneak
    Destiny Bond

Hombrejoe

Breeder
    Years
    the pokewalker seems ill designed. Dont get me wrong, i'm SUPER excited about it, but it seems like it has the capacity to screw you over in a couple of ways:
    -pokemon in the pokewalker are limited to growing only one level at a time
    -pokemon in the pokewalker cannot learn moves while in the pokewalker
    -i'm not sure about evolution in the pokewalker but well, i dont think they have the capacity to evolve in there
    -really seems like a advanced gigapet or tamagotchi that you can change as your heart desires.

My SS cartridge should arrive in the mail and i will happily retract my statement if it proves me wrong. GOD i hope it does. I'm stoked about Nintendo throwing in a little pokeball to go with the new versions, especially since the DSI already looks like the OG pokedex (which is AWESOME), now they give us a little pokeball, all i need is a hat and i'm in business :)

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2010
    I think the only thing I have to complain about is the girl's design. It's rather ugly, mostly the hat above all. The clothes aren't TOO bad, but still... they could've made her cuter, or just used the Chrystal girl. Otherwise, it all seems pretty good so far. I've played a bit of a patched version on my DS, but haven't gottent oo far into it.

My friend told me that it was pay back. Since the hero was so ugly in DPPt, while the heroin had an awesome design, Nintendo reversed it! The hero of HGSS is super cool, while the heron is kinda....boring. He was kidding with this theory...but I think he has a point! Haha

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    the pokewalker seems ill designed. Dont get me wrong, i'm SUPER excited about it, but it seems like it has the capacity to screw you over in a couple of ways:
    -pokemon in the pokewalker are limited to growing only one level at a time
    -pokemon in the pokewalker cannot learn moves while in the pokewalker
    -i'm not sure about evolution in the pokewalker but well, i dont think they have the capacity to evolve in there
    -really seems like a advanced gigapet or tamagotchi that you can change as your heart desires.

My SS cartridge should arrive in the mail and i will happily retract my statement if it proves me wrong. GOD i hope it does. I'm stoked about Nintendo throwing in a little pokeball to go with the new versions, especially since the DSI already looks like the OG pokedex (which is AWESOME), now they give us a little pokeball, all i need is a hat and i'm in business :)
    I imagine some of those restrictions are so that if someone doesn't want a Pokemon to evolve when they're meant to (say, they wish for a Pokemon to learn moves their evolved form cannot learn), which would explain the amount of Heart Scales it can give you (to learn moves you don't learn when you level up), and I suppose the one-level-each-time thing is to stop people just simply leaving the Pokewalker overnight and having the Pokemon gain 20 or so levels just like that - to stop 'cheating the system' or something like that.

It's a quick process to put your Pokemon into the DS and back into the PokeWalker though.

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
    The freakin' swarm is always some freakin' Pokemon I already have! I demand a freakin' Swablu! Or a Ralts. Seriously, Yanma and Luvdisc already swarmed three times! FRIG!

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2009
    HG/SS is better than other Pkm version.......me love pokemon so me no complaints on it

Years
    Before valid complaints: 4/10/10? Are you serious? This has always been one of those things that's driven me crazy when it comes to video games. There's an enormous gap in between the initial Japanese release date and the English release dates. D: I know, I know. They're translating, but couldn't they have translated the text and implemented it as a 'choose your language' feature so that the games would be released in the same year?
    Exactly what I was saying. But my post was deleted because it "isn't really a complaint". Mod-Newbies?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Exactly what I was saying. But my post was deleted because it "isn't really a complaint". Mod-Newbies?
    lol. Complaining about the wait with a short 5-word message that then bypasses the character limit with smiley filler is not really a complaint, though - at least the other person made their post a decent length, for one, and hence had more points in it. =P So maybe not that 'newbie' as you though? =/ After all such a short message isn't far from spam and does conflict with the 'Posts must have at least 25 characters and 4 words' rule that applies here and forum-wide, which isn't allowed to be bypassed with filler text. And the 'complaint' can be averted technically by importing, which others have actually done. =P

Not to mention it isn't a really HG/SS specific complaint anyway as it can be applied to any Pokemon game ever made, as well as most non-Pokemon games as well. More an unavoidable fact rather than a complaint of the actual game. Hence why this isn't really a (HG/SS-specific) complaint. =/ (Oh, and there is no confirmation for any specific date like 4/10/10 from Nintendo itself, going off that other post). We don't need those sort of one-liners we've heard before in the section, and believe me, people have done it plenty of times enough in the past.

On that note, people - if you don't have a complaint with the game and wish to just say 'I have no complaints!' instead of contributing to the thread (say, discussing a complaint someone else had, obviously without flaming), don't post, please.

EDIT - look at the previous page for your now-undelted post, which was under 25 characters without the unnecessary '._.' part. And did not mean to offend there at all, just point out there why I did stuff. =/

Last edited:
    Years
    I've never waited for a pokemon game to come out. I'm new to this (see my Post count?). I only recently started playing again and I got excited for HG/SS.

If you had a problem with it being "short", then why did you not include it in the Reason/Edit? Did you just make that up? :\

And my message was not short. If it were, the 25-character rule message would have said so. I think it went something like: My complaint is waiting until Spring.

There was no need to offend me. I can see that you're not that well-trained. You've also been here since 2008 too :p

And quoting the OP:
    "Feel free to say what bugs you about these games, whether it's the games themselves or certain features or whatever, but keep the thread flame-free."

Have a nice day :]

Now back to the topic...I like how the pokemon can follow you, but isn't it weird that a whale can follow you? lol. I wish there was an option where you could have a certain pokemon lead the party but have another follow you. or err me. lol

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    If you had a problem with it being "short", then why did you not include it in the Reason/Edit? Did you just make that up? :\

And my message was not short. If it were, the 25-character rule message would have said so. I think it went something like: My complaint is waiting until Spring.

There was no need to offend me. I can see that you're not that well-trained. You've also been here since 2008 too :p
    Like mentioned, the only reason it bypassed the 25-character rule was because of the unnessecary smiley that was used(._.). Also, no one meant to offend you as stated, he was just clearly exlpaining why he did what he did. Regardless, your post is back up so no need to complain about something unrelated to the topic of the thread, seeing as how you moved back onto topic.

I can say though, that complaining about its release really wasn't necessary. This is one factor of the game you cannot change on your own. So complaining about it wouldn't make a difference to if it was release at the same time of Japan's release or the next year, you would still have had to wait anyway you take it. A simple tip to make time fly faster for you though, is to just keep your mind on other things, more so things that will keep you occupied until then.

Now back to the topic...I like how the pokemon can follow you, but isn't it weird that a whale can follow you? lol. I wish there was an option where you could have a certain pokemon lead the party but have another follow you. or err me. lol
    The feature allowed any Pokémon to follow you giving the game's limits no boundaries. Yes, the feature of it extends a bit far off reality, but again this is Pokémon so one can expect anything at anytime. The option to select your outside Pokémon would have been a nice addition to it however. Though, the game kept it simple and easy to configure that the first in your party is the one to remain out.

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    What I hate most is that RNG abusing is very difficult now =(.
    And that they made that thing how power items help IVs be passed, it makes breeding too easy, RNG abuse takes time, effort and knowledge while the power items make it so easy...

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    And that they made that thing how power items help IVs be passed, it makes breeding too easy, RNG abuse takes time, effort and knowledge while the power items make it so easy...

It's still hard to get an IV of 31 (which I did with my Rampardos)

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Think of it this way:
    IV breeding was too much of a time-vampire to start off with, and HGSS made it a wee bit more easier to control the outcome.

Brendonwii

Gooby pls
    Years
    Is anyone else annoyed that you cant buy the punchs?

No this is not spam...
    I saying are you annoyed that you cant buy ice punch, fire punch and thunder punch from goldenrod department store.
    I mean come on those moves were how I beat the elite four.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Well Concedering how there not Tms anymore,they wouldnt be in the Department Store.Im not Annoyed because ever since 3rd Gen I though,"if rhe ever make a G/S/C remake they wont have Tms Like mud slap,the punches,and Fury Cutter.

Dragard

Ghoul Soul
    Years
    No. Those moves are available at the battle frontier as tutor moves, so I'm good =] I do hate the fact that now I have to get BP to get ThunderPunch on my Typhlosion, instead of just buying and teaching him it.

Back