• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Completely dead?

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I wish I still had my old gameboy color and B/G/S/Y cartridges but alas, I don't. :( Blue died off LONG ago from hours of play, and G,S,Y I traded in a long time ago when I wanted a different game. A couple years ago though before gamestop quit selling gameboy/game boy color games, I was able to get a copy of yellow for $4.99 XD so I still have that though it wasn't my original copy. Personally, I don't see them as dead, I just didn't play them anymore when I did have them (though I really loved my teams on G&S :(). Yellow I play on occassion, and if I want to play another game, I play it with a ROM. I finally got to play Crystal but it was on a ROM. If anything, I'd love to get a gameboy color just to play my Yellow (and possibly buy crystal) on it instead of gameboy advance. But, like I said, they aren't dead to me. Just very fond memories, and I actually like a lot of the features in the newer games.

Latios360

The calm and quiet one
    Years
    My Pokemon Gold's completely glitched up, so I considered it dead. So far, the rest of my games are working just fine...but I've been too afraid to play the Advance games ever since I heard about the internal clock problem, but will they die out if I don't play them anyway?

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    When I think of old Pokemon games, I can't help but remember those awesome creepypasta stories. xDD;;
    Anyway, the only old Pokemon game I have is Yellow. I'm replaying it at the moment, so yeah. It's not dead. :3

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Well literally speaking, most of my Gen I and II games are dead haha. Somehow I have two blue versions, two silver versions, a red, a yellow (at my friends house) and one or two golds. At least one of the blues is dead (have to check on the other), my red works fine (even though it's been bombarded with Missingno, glitch city, and mew), and my beloved Silver that I got my first lvl 100 on finally croaked about a year ago :'[

But I don't think the spirit of the games has died. Just a few weeks ago I booted up my Blue rom and finished a monotype I had started forever ago. If my old silver worked, I would gladly spend some more time on it (I think the other works though!). The mass interest in these games has obviously lost appeal with the release of III, IV, and now V, but they will always have an audience for those who want to re-live their childhood every now and again.

zapht

The Family Ghost
    Years
    i see Gold and Silver as two of the biggest landmarks from my childhood and are 2 of the most nostalgic games ever. i don't play them constantly but every year or so i get an urge to replay em and reminisce on my childhood.
    i never really got crystal, i remember seeing the commercials and wanting it, but i never actually got it.
    i actually lost my first gold version, it got mixed up with some other kids when i was young, i had a legit lvl 100 feraligatr :(, and so i had to restart, then when i went to play it again for nostalgia the first time the battery was dead so i had to buy another copy. im not exactly sure where silver is i may have lost it.

i still have red, i actually dont remember playing through alot of it since i was especially young at the time. i do remember being excited every time i got to a new ton because at that age it seemed like such an accomplishment!

i really wish games still seemed like that today. before the games semed like an actual adventure that took a long time and were fun and exciting! nowadays you can grind out half the game in a day... :(

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I have blue, gold, silver, 2 crystal and sapphire. Blue, silver, one crystal and sapphire work perfectly. Gold still plays but doesn't save and my other crystal version completely died after not working at all for years, then playing for almost a year. I play sapphire rarely but I haven't played the other ones because my gameboy color died after the batteries exploded inside of it.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
    Are you kidding me? Gen I and II are the only ones I play. The last pokemon games I even bought were Ruby and Sapphire, and after 1 play through of each I never touched the games again.

New pokemon games are pathetic. There is too many pokemon, the new pokemon look stupid, and there is far too many attacks and types. I've been out of the big pokemon circle for years. I've never even bothered to try Diamond or Pearl, and I can tell you I won't be getting Black or White either.

Red/blue/yellow/gold/silver/crystal are the best handheld games ever. Period. They were and still are fun. The pokemon look original and there aren't too many that you can't even keep track of them all. The music is phenomenal and really got me immersed in the game, something the new games cannot do. I think the new games are trying to hard to be cutting edge when they shouldn't be. Pokemon was never about being at the height of technology, it was about the gameplay.

I'm actually playing through red version right now. I usually try to go through the game at least once a year.

Last edited:

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
    The only one of the first two generation games I've played recently is Blue. I haven't played my Yellow, Silver, or Crystal for over 8 years now and the only reason I'm playing Blue is because I'm running a monotype on it. So for me, these games are completely dead and ever since FR/LG & HG/SS came out it gave me even less of a reason to want to play them. I'm not saying these are/were bad games it's just that sometimes we just gotta keep moving foward and the glory days of the original first and second generations have come and gone.

~Darkness~

NJ All Day
    Years
    I keep my Gold and Silver with my other pokemon games but I cant say Ive played them. I thought about it but I never got to it. Ill pick them up eventually

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2011
    I used to play my pokemon red all the time, but then i felt like i was the only one so i stopped. But before i did, as a last horrah, i made on final tribute to the game. (with the help of a few good friends)

youtube.com /watch?v=iUE7woMROw8

sorry for the two part link, it won't let me post links for a while i don't think.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2014
    To be completely honest i am stuck with R/B/Y because that the first 151 Pokémon were - in my opinion - the best and most well made. The only issue is the limited movesets. I gave up after Ruby/Sapphire, since they just didn't capture my attention the same way that the first generation of Pokémon games did.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
    Although I do not have any physical copies of any of the originals (save 1 pokemon Blue Cart that still works fine) I have them all emulated on a flash cart, and I do play them from time to time! I think they are far from dead, and sometime soon I would love to take a good crack at some of the type solo challenges and stuff like that.

Back