• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Compliments and how you take them

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I was just inspired by a post which made me realise that I don't really think I'm good at anything, just mediocre and that it just so happens a large portion of people are under average.

So now for some questions in a different format around this topic! Also if you can add more than just the responses to further clarify your answers, that'd be great.

Imagine I told you that you were good at something you only just started.

How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?
    • "Oh yesss, she thinks I have potential!!"
    • "I only just started, is she trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"
    • "I agree, I am pretty good at it."

Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were good at something you only just started.

• "Oh yesss, somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks I have potential!!"
    • "I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"

Imagine I told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life.

• "She has no grounds to judge me, so I'll shrug that comment off"
    • "Well you know thinking about it, I've seen a lot of people who are better and..."
    • "This'll only inspire me to improve."

Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life.

How would you be most likely to take it, out of the options below?
    • "They're just jealous of my skill."
    • "Well you know thinking about it, I've seen a lot of people who are better and..."

Now for some side questions which are related:
    1. Do you accept compliments easily, even if you know they're not true?
    2. Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?
    3. Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?
    4. Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    5. Do you sometimes highlight your flaws for compliments?
    6. Does your mood determine how well you take compliments?

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • Imagine I told you that you were good at something you only just started.
    • "I only just started, is she trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"
    Well, depending on how I think I went, it'd probably be a mix of these.
    But the one that stands out is having potential. I get told I always have a lot of potential, so every repetition reduces the meaning slightly, but I do believe I could excel in most things, if I really do try.

Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were good at something you only just started.

• "I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"
    That one, usually. Especially when I reflect on what I have done, it seems moot in comparison to their work. Maybe they started off in the same direction, but I find it difficult to believe for some reason.

Imagine I told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life.
    ...That, in a matter of words. I'd probably try to improve just to say I told you so.
    Speaking of which, I was on an E- for my math, and everyone was starting to stare me down. I just couldn't be bothered doing such boring math, but to prove I could do it I started studying. 5 minutes of studying got me full marks on two tests, and three directed investigations. Tada.

Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life.

These two, definitely. I'll inspire to improve, but I will be disheartened by others success (as cruel as that sounds). I mean, I'll be happy for the person, it just won't help my self esteem.

Yes, I do. I don't take them to heart if it is false sympathy, but I juts shrug it off with sarcasm.

1. Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?
    Of course they can. Everyone needs encouragement, and communication is the best way to receive it. If someone was designing a website for someone, they would want compliments and feedback to give the customer what they want. It's sort of a two way street.

1. Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?
    My ravishing good looks.
    Um.. not necessarily. Things that I am good at are kept well hidden. In comparison to my friends, I guess I'd be good at some things, but I'm rather average. Except for being the nerd.

1. Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    Just today. At school, during our practical physical education lesson we played speed ball (a mix of soccer and netball). In comparison to the other males, I was considerably worse. I mean, I tried, but I couldn't help being what I thought was bad at it.

I got a complement on it, but I think it was because I looked a little bummed out after letting the opponents score...
    That, and I did repeat how bad I was at it... maybe it could be considered fishing for compliments.

Do you sometimes highlight your flaws for compliments?

Not consciously, but I think sometimes I do. I can't help it, sometimes I feel so bummed out I need someone to lift my mood.

Does your mood determine how well you take compliments?

Not really, my mood affects how I show my reaction, but I usually take all compliments with hidden pride.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years

• "Oh yesss, somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks I have potential!!" (sometimes)

1. Do you accept compliments easily, even if you know they're not true? I don't really care about compliments
    2. Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments? Yeah
    3. Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on? Nothing tbqh, I receive compliments on things people think I'm good at only lol o3o
    4. Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"? Netball. Quite a lot of people says that I'm good at it but I think I suck at it :x Sometimes it makes me feel bad 'cause everyone else is soo good at it ;w;
    5. Do you sometimes highlight your flaws for compliments? yup
    6. Does your mood determine how well you take compliments? ..Nope o3o

Melody

Banned
    Years
    1. A
    2. A
    3. A
    4. C

Do you accept compliments easily, even if you know they're not true?
    Depends on who gave them, and how I regard them.
    Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?
    I don't mind. If someone wants to give compliments, let them. To say that kind of stuff is just arrogant and presumptuous
    Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?
    Several things. But I don't fish for compliments...just the opposite I sometimes suspect random compliments.
    Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    No.
    No.
    Yes.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Jesus, Nica... so many QUESTIONS! Oh well, here goes:

• "Oh yesss, somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks I have potential!!"

With regards to the other questions I'mma not answer them, except the first: I used to have a really bad tendency of not accepting compliments. I'd always just shrug them off or ignore them or whatever. I've gotten a lot better at accepting them as my self-esteem has grown throughout the years, which is good... I guess.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Okay I'm not a fan of just answering questions so I'm going to just run with the topic here. xD

I used to be terrible at getting compliments, especially regarding looks. I would tell people they were wrong and actively argue with them. But I knew that it was a thing that girls do when they have low self-esteem, it's a very easy way to turn a simple compliment into someone telling you over and over again "You're pretty, I promise you're pretty, I care so much about you knowing that you're pretty that I'll argue with you about it". I used to do that because, obviously, it made me feel better about myself to have that kind of praise. But I knew in the back of my head that the praise was forced and that other people hated doing it and that I was being immature.

So now I answer most compliments with a simple "thank you", unless I feel like another answer is really warranted. If I am good at something and I know it, I might reply with "thank you, I think so too". If I think it's absolutely terrible, I'll probably laugh but still accept the compliment under the assumption that I'm biased against myself because a lot of people are.

I wish I could share this knowledge with some people I know, both irl and here on PC, that don't take compliments and I can tell they were similar to me and are most likely rejecting them for the same underlying reasons. It's understandable, but something I would like to help other people get out of because it doesn't help them or anyone else at all, it just makes people angry at you and doesn't make you any more confident. When I finally fixed my confidence, it came from within, not from compliments.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    "Oh yesss, she thinks I have potential!!"
    > "I only just started, is she trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"
    "I agree, I am pretty good at it."

I didn't really like answering this one if I'm completely honest, because the second one makes it sound like you had bad intentions and all. I don't think someone would be trying to kid me into false hope but I think that if you've just started something you simply aren't going to be good at it, and if someone tells you that you are, they're probably trying to encourage you although by lying at the same time.

"Oh yesss, somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks I have potential!!"
    > "I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"

See above; it's the same reaction no matter who's talking. Although tbh I find it kinda belittling too when someone with experience tells me I'm doing well at something I've just started, even though I know I should take it better than that.

"She has no grounds to judge me, so I'll shrug that comment off"
    >"Well you know thinking about it, I've seen a lot of people who are better and..."
    "This'll only inspire me to improve."

If someone tells me I'm bad at something I've been doing for a long time then, regardless of their experience and competence, I'll consider that comment. After all, you don't have to be good at something yourself to comment on someone else doing it; I'm not a chemistry student, but if a chemistry student failed their exams, I could be pretty certain that they're not very good at chemistry. That's a loose example but I think it applies everywhere really. Basically I don't think you need 'grounds' to judge here. As for the third option, I wouldn't be inspired to improve at something I've been doing all my life. If I've been at something for this long and I'm not good at it yet then I can't see myself improving very well tbh.

"They're just jealous of my skill."
    > "Well you know thinking about it, I've seen a lot of people who are better and..."

See above again.

If I know they're not true then I'll probably ignore them, in case they lure me into a false sense of competence or something like that. As for ones that are true, I appreciate them, but I find it really hard to show that. I'll generally just smile and quietly thank them or immediately compare myself to someone I see as better tbh.

Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?
    Yeah why not? What you're doing is gonna be seen by more people than just the experienced and if your average everyday person can't appreciate it then it's probably not very good. Complements from inexperienced people are just as important as from experienced people, the way I see it. Not everyone can do things, but anyone can judge them.

Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?
    Not really, although I do receive complements sometimes where I feel they're completely undue. I wouldn't say there's ever been anything which I don't receive enough complements on because I don't think that there's an amount of complements which should be received for anything.

Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    I sometimes receive complements for being a "good poster" on here. So many people on here are far better with words than I am, so I really don't get where that complement stems from lol. But I don't really feel bad about it. I'm gonna be completely honest and say that being the best poster ever on a forum isn't very high on my list of priorities.

As a side-note, I think I get a lot of complements for stuff which I'm "ok" at, rather than outright "bad" at. I don't do very much that I think I'm bad at so there's very little room there for complements.

No, or at least, I don't mean to. I hate it when people feel some need to seek attention (or in this case, complements) by feeling sorry for themselves, which is more or less what this sounds like in all honesty.

Regardless of my real mood, I prefer to show consistency on the outside. So if I feel like taking a complement in a different way to usual, I'll generally fake my response to it for the sake of consistency. In my head though, yeah, I do take them differently I guess.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    "I agree, I am pretty good at it."​
    Really I would be indifferent, but since what I'm good for is left as a matter of others' perception, I can only agree, if I must think anything of it.

"I agree, I am pretty good at it."​
    I don't so much doubt the worthiness of a professional opinion as I do the sincerity of it and the intelligence of the individual.
    My response depends what sort of trust I can hold in the opinion's giver, yet again: I won't be disagreeable.

"She has no grounds to judge me, so I'll shrug that comment off"​
    I would ask why, that is all. If it is merely a baseless insult, so be it; otherwise the inexperienced could provide valuable insight, and it is best to listen.

"This'll only inspire me to improve."​
    I'm not going to stop doing it unless many say so, so I can probably still only get better.

I don't feel the need to accept or deny them. Life is what it will be, regardless.

I don't care.

Maybe; nothing comes to mind though.

Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at?
    Drawing. I'm better than average, 'basic talent' one could say, but I hardly excel.

If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    Yes.

What sort of logic does that action follow?
    No, anyway.

It would be easier to list the things unaffected by mood.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years

"I only just started, is she trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"
    "I agree, I am pretty good at it.

I would be a little skeptical at first, but I would definitely appreciate the encouragement. If I was truly looking for constructive criticism (as opposed to just wondering if I had a good start or something) I would probably ask someone else as well. But, I would definitely take the compliment and use it as motivation to keep going. ^__^

"I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"

If someone with experience complimented me, my reaction would be :D I would be thrilled that someone who knew what they were talking about encouraged me. I would also be a little intimidated because that would mean that person might be expecting thinsg from me, and I would be fearful of not living up to expectations. >__>

I do typically try to take everyone's opinion into consideration, so I would hear you out. I probably would want you to at least have an idea of how I should be doing the thing when you told me, or else I might shrug it off. Of course, if you are taking the time to critique me, you probably already have an idea of what I should be doing. XD

Lol, I marked both, since if I knew who this person of experience was, I might possibly revere them for their talent. XD So if they specifically came to me and told me how I could improve, I would take their words to heart and try my best to improve. ^__^

2. Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?
    3. Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?
    4. Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    -If they are true, I tend to just be all "Awww shucks. :D" But if I know they aren't true I am more "Really? Nah, that's not true. >__>"

-It depends on the area. Take for instance, graphic making. The whole point of making, say, a sig, is that everyone can see it. So, I would take opinions from EVERYONE as EVERYONE who sees my posts has to see the sig. But from the perspective of let's say, carpentry, which I have little to no experience in, I wouldn't give out any serious compliments because I wouldn't really know what I was talking about. XD

-The only thing I really think I am any good at is sig making, and even that isn't as good as some people I have seen *coughmostgraphicsmakersonPCcough* so I don't expect many compliments there. XD

-I guess, in the same vein as the last question, sig making. Some people have seen a sig I made, especially if it is one of my lesser liked ones, and they go all "THAT IS THE BEST SIG I HAVE EVER SEEN" and I just say "You haven't seen his? Or hers, or his, or his, or hers..." and so on. XD But I don't necessarily feel bad for that, more like motivated to be better.

-Do you mean, like, phish for compliments? Nah. I don't feel like I really need compliments that badly. But I'm not trying to be arrogant, either! >__>

I first took the fifth question as "Do you highlight your flaws when receiving compliments?" which I will say, yes I do. If someone compliments me, I tend to sometimes go "Well, that could have been better, and I really wish I hadn't done that, but thanks anyways!" XD

-...I'm gonna go with, sometimes. If I am anything other than angry, then I will typically take a compliment pretty well. Get me when I happen to be mad though, and I will probably just brush it off. Even then, though, I typically notice and go "Wait someone is being nice to me, I can at least take the compliment nicely and resume being angry in a moment." XD

You got me to ramble on and on. >__<

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    Imagine I told you that you were good at something you only just started. How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?

"I agree, I am pretty good at it." - Totally.

Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were good at something you only just started. How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?

"I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?" - Depending on mood.

Imagine I told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life. How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?

"She has no grounds to judge me, so I'll shrug that comment off" - This is the closest to my real answer, which would probably contain some kind of expletive and threat.

Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life. How would you be most likely to take it, out of the options below?

"They're just jealous of my skill." - Closest, which would probably be shrugging it off and/or cursing at them.

Consistently, especially if I'm not feeling well.

If they're complimenting me, it's okay. :D

My tenacity and skills; my maturity, if we're talking about parents.

Grades. If you ask anyone in my school what they think my GPA is, they would at least think top 10% (it's pretty good but maybe top 14%); I feel terribly for it, but that's because I have a strong superiority complex.

Yes. Part of being slightly narcissistic. :D

Yeah. If I'm extremely melancholic it's unlikely I'll care about compliments; if I'm happy I might even feel slightly unnerved by them.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • Q: Imagine I told you that you were good at something you only just started. How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?
    A. "I only just started, is she trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"

Q: Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were good at something you only just started. How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?
    A: "I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?" (Same as above...)

Q: Imagine I told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life. How would you be most likely to take it out of the options below?
    A: "She has no grounds to judge me, so I'll shrug that comment off."

Q: Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life. How would you be most likely to take it, out of the options below?
    A: "This'll only inspire me to improve."

Q: Do you accept compliments easily, even if you know they're not true?
    A: No, I don't accept compliments easily because in truth... I rarely get any compliments at all. Only once a every other month or so.

Q: Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?
    A: This completely depends on the person. If they believe they can do it, they'll be able. If they think they can't, they will not be able.

Q: Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?
    A: At times, my artwork in the fields of music, drawing and writing. Also, my game development skills, as well.

Q: Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?
    A: If there is one... I'll edit this and put it here, til then... I don't know.

Q: Do you sometimes highlight your flaws for compliments?
    A: I'm sorry, but I'm not that type of person. I'm more of a supporter type of guy.

Q: Does your mood determine how well you take compliments?
    A: At times, yes I does. While at other times, strangely I does not effect it.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015

I'm excited when I get a compliment, but I don't accept it easily.
      Not really. I wish I could elaborate more, but I can't think of anything atm.
      Nothing that I can think of. I think I'm bad at everything I do so...
      Everything? I don't think I have any real skills.
      Sometimes.
      Well I always turn like puddy when I receive a compliment so my current mood doesn't make a difference.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Imagine somebody with experience told you that you were bad at something you've been doing all your life.

1. Do you accept compliments easily, even if you know they're not true?: Depends on the kind of compliment. I don't take negative ones well.
    2. Do you think people that don't necessarily have experience in that area should be giving out compliments?: People should give compliments if they're experienced in that area, even by a little bit.
    3. Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on?: My singing skills.
    4. Is there something you consider yourself bad at, but everyone seems to think you're good at? If so, do you ever feel bad for not being at a level you would call "good"?: My writing skills. I don't feel very confident about them.
    5. Do you sometimes highlight your flaws for compliments?: No, not really.
    6. Does your mood determine how well you take compliments?: Sometimes.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012

"I only just started, is she trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"

None of these, to be honest. I'd thank you, and be on my way. Whether I'm good or bad does not matter, and your view of whether I'm good or bad matters even less.

"Oh yesss, somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks I have potential!!"
    "I only just started, are they trying to kid me into getting false hope this early?"

The first option, if they have some skill, and say that I do, I'd feel pretty right nice. It'd be an ego boost, someone who has the skills says that I'm good. Obviously they'd know what makes one good in that field and one bad.

"She has no grounds to judge me, so I'll shrug that comment off"
    "Well you know thinking about it, I've seen a lot of people who are better and..."

Kind of both, 1&3. One because I could honestly care less what you(or anyone) things. Your opinion wouldn't really matter. But if you told me I sucked, then I probably do. So, then I'd want to get better, if for no reason but to spite them, ahah.

"They're just jealous of my skill."
    "Well you know thinking about it, I've seen a lot of people who are better and..."

If they are good, they probably know what they are talking about. I should get better.

No. I just find it kind of awkward to accept them.

Yeah, you don't need talent to recognize talent.

Is there anything you consider yourself good at, but don't receive enough compliments on? Being sexy? Ahaha.

Haha. No not really.

No, that'd be pretty pointless.

If I'm feeling confident, I naturally accept compliments better.

Years

Nope, usually if I know there not true I'll just blow it off. Depending on my mood I might get a little touchy with them too.
    If they are good enough to deserve a compliment then yes they should get one. Their experience has nothing to do with their ability to perform the task.
    Nope. I think compared to other people I don't deserver compliments.
    Well thanks to the accent challenge people have been complimenting me on my voice which is horrible, so yea that's a prime example.
    You mean fishing for compliments? Nope, I hate it when people do that. If I wanted a compliment I'd work hard at the field I wanted a compliment in.
    If I'm in a giddy mood I may actually take the compliment but otherwise the way I take the compliment is pretty much the same as usual.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Custom responses are more personable!

"Awww, thanks! <insert tangent about how I just started, what I'm hoping to accomplish, how I'm still improving, etc.>"

"....... omgomgomgomgomgomg!! Thank you! I didn't think I was very good at it."

"*****, what do you know?" (We're friends, so I would assume you're joking.)

"........................ I knew I sucked!!!" (I'm my own worse critic and often criticize myself much more than anyone else, so they'd be reinforcing my criticisms.)

I'm someone who accepts and gives compliments. Sometimes when I'm not used to a compliment I'll be a little bashful, though. Compliments are something that you don't really need to have any knowledge at all on something to really give out, but they're more valued if you do. If I'm in a bad mood, I'll be a little more stuck-up about compliments and say things like "Oh, I know!"

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years

"This'll only inspire me to improve."​

Sometimes I brush them off saying there are better people than me who do it better but it fires me up to try and improve on weaknesses.

Every comment counts in my opinion. A compliment is still a compliment whether they have experience in the subject or not.

Being the Pokemon Obsessed one Not really ... well none I can think of.

When I look at the kids in my art class, they seem more confident on what they are doing which reflects on their work. Though when they ask to show my work to them they always compliment it as being good :/
    I guess it's the same when I write fanfiction. I have written for long and I always look to my favourite authors work for inspiration. But the fact that people are actually reading and commenting on my work really brings me up :D

Not really.. I always admit truth but never for compliments

Sometimes yes it does. Like the time I got complimented in English by my teacher in front of the whole class. I'm not the greatest at English and the compliment was unexpected and I didn't see it coming - In the end my ears turned bright red as well as my face which happens a lot when I get complimented.

Back