• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I have Altec Lansing speakers, but no where to put the back channels. ^_^;

ironman

The man under the Mask
Years
my computer is old like 4 years but its cool my dad is a manager were he works at so he gots hookups

Windows 98
ethernet
Pentium 3
CD Burner 24x
DVD Player
Intel Camera
20'' inch monitor

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Since I?m homeschooled let?s see?

Dell

3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with HT

2047 MB of RAM

120 GB Hardrive 7200 RPM

Windows XP

8 USB 2.0 Ports

2 Firewire ports

128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ver. 6.14

etc etc. ;p

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
Years
I really need a new graphic card, the one I found out I have is a 32MB Nvidia Geforce2 Mx200 with tv-out. But graphic cards are so expensive these days, oh well I'll just have to keep looking until I find one thats the right price for me.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Arwen said:
I have speakers from Dell, but I am not sure if they are 5.1

5.1 means that there are 5 small speakers (satelites) and one huge box (subwoofer).

Vito Winstrate said:
New topic!

"What computers do your school use, what operating system, and what are their specifications?"
State brand, speed, etc.

Brand: Optima
OS: Windows 2000 Professional (set to work with a Novell Network)
Speed Unknown
Surface type (not a mini-tower)
Applications: Microsoft Office 2000, Quake II, Quake III Arena, WinLogo, Publisher, Others...
128 MB RAM
Brand new, came with Windows XP, although downgraded to Windows 2000 (NT 5.0). Has USB ports and Digital Audio ports.

Older ones
Brand: Compucon
OS: Windows NT 4.0 (uses Novell Networking for Windows NT)
Speed Unknown, but slow.
MINI TOWER
Applications: Office 2000, Quake II, Winlogo, Publisher, Others...
24 MB RAM?
Old, have USB posts though.

My school has a domain server running Windows 2003 Server. It has dual 2.4GHz Xeons and 2GB of RAM. I don't know what kind of storage system it uses. It has a Cat5 network accross the school that is primarily composed of computers and clients. These computers run Windows 98. They are used to login to the domain and do not serve any purpose besides that. The other computers are staff only. They run Windows XP. I have no clue what their specifications are. The ethernet network is primarily used for teaching how to type and use simple applications. It has been recently outfitted with internet access soon after, corporate level filtering was installed and it is configured to the point where you can't access AIM or any internet proxies to access AIM through. ^_^;;

Kairi said:
Since I?m homeschooled let?s see?

Dell

3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with HT

2047 MB of RAM

120 GB Hardrive 7200 RPM

Windows XP

8 USB 2.0 Ports

2 Firewire ports

128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ver. 6.14

etc etc. ;p

2 Firewire ports? You're lucky, I only have 1. ^_^;;

LiquidThunder said:
I really need a new graphic card, the one I found out I have is a 32MB Nvidia Geforce2 Mx200 with tv-out. But graphic cards are so expensive these days, oh well I'll just have to keep looking until I find one thats the right price for me.

Ugh... When upgrading, be sure that all of traces of the Nvidia drivers and software have been wiped from the system. Remove everything from Nvidia via the Add/Remove, use registry cleaners to remove all remaining Nvidia registry entries and delete all nvidia folders still on the computer.

Anyway, I recommend the ATI Radeon 9000. If you could pay a little more, go for the AIW version.

Last edited:

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Funny thing is the old Gateway had three. @_@;;

I?m sure there are things like Trillian that let AIM packets go over a different port though. =/

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
It had one frontal, and a firewire card on the back with two ports.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Vito Winstrate said:
Kairi did it have a Firewire PCI card?
My G4 has two Firewire ports. I've never tested it's speed though... (I might get a Firewire 800 PCI card to complement with it... or should I use USB 2.0?)

Is Firewire 800 faster than USB 2.0?

Yeah it is unless it is on a 32bit PCI bus. The 32bit PCI bus is only 136Mbit/sec wide. The USB 2.0 bus is 480Mbit/sec wide. The firewire either has to be intergraded into the motherboard or on a 64bit PCI bus.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
If you replace the motherboard, it wouldn't really be a G4 anymore. Especially since Macintosh is a PowerPC operating system while Athon requires an 86x. You won't be able to install Macintosh on it.

Btw, USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire 400. Also if you put a firewire card into a PCI slot, you won't be able to get the full 400MBit/sec. You will only get 136MBit/sec.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Still no tabs, I'll stick with MYIE2 for IE for now.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
That will of course be in a new version of MyIE2. The current one isn't designed for SP2. If it is, they must have gotten their hands on a beta.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Guys, want to hear what is in store for the future of Personal Computers? Here is a list of what should happen to 2004:

Motherboard designs are going to be replaced with the BTX form factor which better handles airflow and power. From what I'm hearing, BTX will probably require new cases and power supplies since the current ones are ATX. Here is a press release regarding it:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20030916corp_b.htm

The P4 will get a new socket (LGA 775) and core. Intel will probably roll out the LGA 775 socket with the BTX form factor.

DDR-2 Memory will replace DDR Memory (vendors can't keep cranking MHz out of DDR forever).

PCI Express will replace PCI and AGP.

The SATA spec will (is starting to already) replace the PATA spec.

Those are pretty much all of the big changes for 2004 that I have heard/read about. Here are a few that are going to happen but I'm not exactly sure when:

The SATA 2 spec will be finshed and replace the SATA spec. Probably will be in 2005 but may be in 2006.

The BIOS will die. Intel is planning to replace it with Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI). A firmware interface (obviously) which is more efficent, boots faster, is more ready for new technologies, etc. Here is an article on it from Intel's site:

http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/

Some other things that are planned for the future are better graphics cards (obviously), Windows Longhorn (can't wait), etc. I have been hearing that ATI is developing a graphics card 2x faster than the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I also have been hearing that they are developing a digital TV chip. I hope this will mean a future AIW card will be much faster than my current AIW 9700 Pro and will be able to receive HDTV signals. If so, I can't wait to start recording pokemon episodes and movies (I already have them on DVD but recording them is fun). ^_^

John Denver

Banned
Years
I heard that they are going to use a new carbon based system that will make computer hundreds of times faster...although, I can't really think of ANY programs that would need that kind of speed...yep

am I wrong or just not right?

BOO ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back