• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 30
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    Apparently nobody has mentioned this yet:

Internet Protocol (IP) Address - A numerical identification and logical address that is assigned to devices participating in a computer network utilizing the Internet Protocol for communication between its nodes.

Definition from Wikipedia

xMeowthz

Starting off fresh, again.
    Years
  • Units of measurement

From what I see... the chart of bytes is:

bit=0 or 1
    nibble=4 bit
    byte=8 bit
    kilobyte = 1024 bytes
    megabyte=1024 kilobytes
    gigabyte=1024 megabytes
    terabyte=1024 gigabytes
    petabyte=1024 terabytes
    exabyte=1024 petabyte
    zettabyte=1024 exabyte
    yottabyte=1024 zettabyte
    xonabyte=1024 yottabyte
    wekabyte=1024 xonabyte
    vundabyte=1024 wekabyte
    udabyte=1024 vundabyte
    tredabyte=1024 udabyte
    sortabyte=1024 tredabyte
    rintabyte=1024 sortabyte
    quexabyte=1024 rintabyte
    peptabyte=1024 quexabyte
    ochabyte=1024 peptabyte
    nenabyte=1024 ochabyte
    mingabyte=1024 nenabyte
    lumabyte=1024 mingabyte
    (?)byte=1024 lumabyte

An interesting note:

Everything after "yotta" hasn't been approved by any organization I know of.

Last edited:

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • (I hope this doesn't count as reviving a thread)

PHP is more than just "more advanced than HTML". It is a totally different thing. It is a programming language that can be used to make your webpages dynamic, ie actually program them, since HTML is only used for designing web pages.

PHP is an abbreviation for Hypertext Pre-Processor or sometimes, depending on who you ask, Personal Home Page.
    PHP is a widely-used general-purpose SERVER SIDE scripting language that is especially well-suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2010
    Hi Jesus Freak Josh,

Well buddy, This list is perfect regarding new trends of computer system and Want to include some distinct items of computer system.They are:Accessories,Cables,Cases,CD / DVD Drives,Controller ,Cards,CPUs (Processors),Drive Enclosures,Fans (Cooling),Floppy Drives,Games & Gift Ideas
    ,Hard Drives,Keyboards / Mice,Memory,Monitors,Motherboards,Networking / Modems,Power Supplies,Printers / Scanners,Software / OS,Sound / Speakers,USB Hubs,Video Cards and Webcams / Cameras.

Thanks

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
  • 9wm - a window manager on unix-like operating systems that resembles the default window manager of Bell Labs' Plan 9 OS. :P

Python - a versatile high-level programming language that emphasizes clean syntax.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2010
    Adobe Software Icons
    Fl: Flash(animation)
    Dw: Dreamweaver(web page)
    Fw: Fireworks (art editor i think)
    Ps: PHotoshop (Image)
    Ai: Illustrator (art)
    ID: Indesign

there's more../

I have a few random but useful terms :3

QWERTY: The Keyboard format used in nearly all PCs

.bat: A batch file extension. Executes certain commands with text.

.vbs: Like a batch, but I don't know how to work these things @~@.

Blue Screen of Death: It is when the whole screen goes blue and says random junk that makes it look like your computer is freaked. Which is most likely true

Unless you see this was caused by System Mechanic or an anti-virus you trust or some zany screensaver (guilty), you have permission to jump of a cliff and die a blue death.

Chrome: Either an element in the Periodic table or an awesome browser from Google that needs more attention.

Mouse: The thing you hole to make an arrow move on your screen and execute actions with a "click"

How the hell was that overlooked?

Text (as a noun, girls): The styles of letters that appear on the screen

ex:

Verdana

Comic Sans

Courier New

PC: What you most likely are using right now and the place you are for sure in if you are seeing this.

That's as much as I can help with for now.

I thought *text* was also called Font!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2010
    Hi friends,
    Its really cool stuff.
    Its helpful to everyone who is new to the computer field or experience person of computer field.
    Thanks for sharing this you all guys.

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
  • Here are some:

.avi .bz2 .css .doc .docx .flv .gif .gz .htm .html .ini .ips .jp2 .jpe .jpeg .jpg .m4a .mov .mp3 .mp4 .pdf .png .psd .rar .rtf .sav .sgm .swf .tar .tgz .txt .wav .wma .xls .xml .xps .zip, and .nds. (Courtesy of the ROMs.

HTML~Hypertext Markup Language; Computer language that web browsers translate into our language.
    HTTP~Hypertext Transfer Protocol; First Computer Language ever.

Last edited:

Tuxedo Clank

So laid back he is horizontal
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2012
    CD Rom - Reads CDs and executes them. Speed is often between 40 and 52.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a CD-ROM a read only CD. The software contained on these can't be editted or writted over. It is a type of CD not a CD reader. The same is true for DVD-ROM.

Blue Screen of Death: It is when the whole screen goes blue and says random junk that makes it look like your computer is freaked. Which is most likely true

Unless you see this was caused by System Mechanic or an anti-virus you trust or some zany screensaver (guilty), you have permission to jump of a cliff and die a blue death.

I tend to find booting off an operating system CD and reinstalling it tends to help with this and to prevent unnecessary cliff-jumpy death.

From what I see... the chart of bytes is:

bit=0 or 1
    nibble=4 bit
    byte=8 bit
    kilobyte = 1024 bytes
    megabyte=1024 kilobytes
    gigabyte=1024 megabytes
    terabyte=1024 gigabytes
    petabyte=1024 terabytes
    exabyte=1024 petabyte
    zettabyte=1024 exabyte
    yottabyte=1024 zettabyte
    xonabyte=1024 yottabyte
    wekabyte=1024 xonabyte
    vundabyte=1024 wekabyte
    udabyte=1024 vundabyte
    tredabyte=1024 udabyte
    sortabyte=1024 tredabyte
    rintabyte=1024 sortabyte
    quexabyte=1024 rintabyte
    peptabyte=1024 quexabyte
    ochabyte=1024 peptabyte
    nenabyte=1024 ochabyte
    mingabyte=1024 nenabyte
    lumabyte=1024 mingabyte
    (?)byte=1024 lumabyte

An interesting note:

Everything after "yotta" hasn't been approved by any organization I know of.

I believe you can get kibibytes and similar which are plain 1000 increments.

Also apparently a crum is 2 bits (I am unable to confirm this however).

Python - a versatile high-level programming language that emphasizes clean syntax.

You are kidding right? That is my second least favourite programming language.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    ^ Actually, Python is a pretty powerful, easy-to-use language, with a clear and English-like syntax. Though I experimented with it for months, and it wasn't as good as C/C++; not even near them.

More computer-related terms:

ASCII
    ─ is a character-encoding 'system' used by the computer to represent the English letters as 'number'. They only take up one byte, because the scheme holds 256 values, including 0.

UNICODE is a universal encoding scheme.

CPU speed is measured in MHz or GHz, and is mostly referred as clock speed.

There are multiple types of memory used by the PC, namely 4 types:

1. RAM
    2. HDD
    3. ROM (stores computer's BIOS settings)
    4. Cache

A byte is 'made-up' of 8 bits; bits of 0s and 1s. Bits are magnetic particles found in almost all internal and external components. 0 is usually known as false/off and 1 as true/on.

BIOS or Basic Input Output System is the basic and primary understanding of all of the computer's inner components. When the ROM is loaded, the BIOS kicks in.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    UML is a most important terms of computer. UML is a standard notation for modeling real world objects as a first step in developing a methodology for object-oriented design.It has been promoted and is now an accepted standard of the Object Management Group.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2010
    Hello friends,
    Its really cool topic about the computers.
    I think it will be very helpful to everyone who is new to the computer field and also experience person of computer field.
    Thanks, for sharing this you all guys.

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
    Years
  • Pointer- in programming terms, it's a device used to 'point', and reference, to a specific location in the computers memory

For the non-programmers amongst us-

Trainer Joey says 'Shorts are comfterable and easy to wear!'.
    The program is another trainer, asking a third trainer, 'what did he say?'
    A pointer is the third trainer, pointing at trainer Joey saying 'HE likes shorts because they're easy and comfterable to wear'

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back