• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Could Giovanni be Ash's dad?

Is Giovanni Ash's dad?

• Yes

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    In the second episode of the whole Pokemon series, Delia tells Ash that his dad has been in Viridian City before, which is where Ash is.

Coincidencially, in the manga, Giovanni is shown to be from Viridian Forest, like Yellow.

Also, in a play known as Pokemon Live, it is revealed that Giovanni once dated Delia.

Giovanni only saw Ash once (don't worry, he didn't say, "ASH! I AM YOUR FATHER!" with Ash replying, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!") although he didn't seem to notice him as anything special.... just a kid trying to ruin his plans with Mewtwo.

So... what do you think?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Seems possible.
    But if it was a man as evil as giovanni I'm not sure Ash's mom would mention him.
    Otherwise ash would go looking.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    Could he be his dad? Yes. Is he? No.

If Giovanni is Ash's dad I'm gonna puke non-stop during a whole day. I believe Pokemon Live can't be used as an argument since it's an American production, which has nothing to do with the Japanese writers.

Qin

The Flaming Rat's General!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I believe people on this forum have been watching far too many Star Wars re-ruins. I mean runs. Re-runs.
    So yes, he COULD be Ash's father... Like Mao Zedong could be my great great uncle twice removed. But he isn't on both counts.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Could seem possible, but I don't think he is somehow.
    It would be very odd for a start and Ash's father being a bad guy, whilst Ash being on the side of good. That would just confuse myself and probably other fans.

I believe people on this forum have been watching far too many Star Wars re-ruins. I mean runs. Re-runs.
    So yes, he COULD be Ash's father... Like Mao Zedong could be my great great uncle twice removed. But he isn't on both counts.

I agree (With the bolded out parts)

Years
    No.

Who is Ash's father? This one made him laugh, since I asked it rather bluntly and simply. He explained Ash's grandfather was a great Trainer who traveled the lands a long time ago, and Ash's father followed in his footsteps and left. Then I asked if he would ever appear, and he responded that only if the writers felt a need to "grow" Ash as a character (personal note: we need some character development, please). He explained he was not a writer on the show and merely worked as the storyboard artist, so he had no control over what they put on the show. But, he said there is a possibility his father could appear one day. At least we know Ash has a father now, unlike other anime characters.

Source

Apparently the writers never intended Giovanni to be Ash's dad, so the only way that's possible is if they change their minds in the future.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    Giovanni in the manga Came from the Viridian Forest like Yellow but since the Manga and The Anime are two different Canons I don't think ash is giovanni's Son, considering Giovanni Already has a son

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
    I say no. Silver is Giovanni's kid. Not Ash.

I think Ash's dad will never appear. It's been almost 15 seasons.

Or maybe Delia Ketchum is like Cartman's mom on South Park. Not getting into that, though.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    No.

Source

Apparently the writers never intended Giovanni to be Ash's dad, so the only way that's possible is if they change their minds in the future.

I dont think that they will change their minds in the future because Pokemon has been on for many years and I think that they would have said some kind of relationship between Ash and Giovanni. Also if they do announce that Giovanni is Ash's father, then there will be too much drama in Pokemon which isn't good

:t354:TG

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Could seem possible, but I don't think he is somehow.
    It would be very odd for a start and Ash's father being a bad guy, whilst Ash being on the side of good. That would just confuse myself and probably other fans.

Yeah, but that would be like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker...

Years
    Or maybe Delia Ketchum is like Cartman's mom on South Park. Not getting into that, though.

Someone hasn't been watching the newer seasons of South Park. :P Cartman's real father is an ex-Denver Bronco player. Not gonna spoil the rest for you though. ;)

As for Giovanni being Ash's father, it's incredibly unlikely. For a show directed towards children, they wouldn't give the leader of the bad guys anything in relation to the main hero, otherwise kid's will start to relate to the non-comic relief baddies, and we can't have that. :P

If they wanted to go that route though, it would be obvious that there'd be a Heel Face Turn on Giovanni's part and he'd become good again, which would only happen if they plan on ending the series as a whole, or at least focus on a different character.

Although....it would sure explain why Delia doesn't seem to work...although no one aside from non important bakers seem to be doing anything for money

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    I doubt it..... but then again, have Ash and Giovanni ever met face to face?

I imagine Ash knows his father and has met him before, but he might not know what his father does for a living, if you catch my drift. I'd like to see Ash and co. break into Team Rocket HQ. When they reach Giovanni's office, the bust in and Ash sees his father and says "Dad? What are you doing here in Boss Rocket's office? Did he kidnap you?"

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
    Haha, I remember making a thread speculating Ash's father here when I was about 12.

My hypothesis was that his father was actually Ho-Oh. :v

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years
    Well, since Giovanni's son is Silver in both the video games & Pokemon Adventures manga, I can't see the anime changing this. Despite Silver never appearing in the anime, they still try to stay close to the video games when it comes to characters.

When I was younger, I thought Bruno could be Ash's dad since they have similar spiky hair and Ash was watching him battle in the first episode.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    ...Was the spoiler tag added in the title for something that was in episode 2?

XD

Back