• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Crystal features - why be hatin', or why like it?

Years
  • I actually like this for several reasons:
    -They didn't forget about the Crystal games.
    -Kris isn't in the game, but I still have the features from Crystal that I liked.
    -I don't have to pay an extra $35 to buy a remade Crystal version.
    -Eusine and Suicune. I like having that added. (That means that Buena's Password might be added! I liked that radio station in the game!)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I personally feel like 3rd installments like Crystal are mere upgrades and not including what they brought to the table would be obvious downgrading.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Honestly, I never played Gold/Silver...bypassing both of them in favor of Crystal. A lot of my impressions of the second generation are derived from story elements added in Crystal, so seeing them in the remake is all the more nostalgic for me. :P

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • They definetley don't ruin the game itself. I think that these new add ons are what we need for a DS Pokemon game. No matter what you do for a game, you have to add on more to make the players feel that you've done something. If you just have the game re-made with better graphics, I wouldn't buy it because I would think they didn't do anything significant and It's not worth wasting my money on.

Once you get the new add ons, they make the game feel modern and innovative and, in my opinion, better.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I can't understand how people can be angry with the addition of Crystal features (or new features in general), if you take away the fact you had two regions to explore, there wasn't much to do in Gold and Silver, the story in Johto wasn't great, and there was no story in Kanto, where as Crystal greatly improved on the Johto half (although Kanto was still boring), if anything I want more Crystal features and some more never before seen one's, and most importantly, if it's included, a story for Kanto (just because one route has been shown on the map doesn't mean it's in though), also for the people who don't like the new features or the returning Crystal one's, there are two options, just carry on playing Gold and Silver and don't buy the remakes, or realize that Gold and Silver are 10 years old and for the new versions to work they need to be updated and improved upon, and that having them be the same as the originals (minus the Graphics) would be boring and a waste of a great opportunity.

Poke'Master24

Got my Wi-Fi Jirachi
    Years
  • well fire red and leaf green were technically remakes, but they added a lot more features then the first ones did. I personally don't mind them,I think they are a nice addition. After all, it is really more of a GSC/ Metal Generation remake. It adds more plot to the game.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
  • Honestly, I never played Gold/Silver...bypassing both of them in favor of Crystal. A lot of my impressions of the second generation are derived from story elements added in Crystal, so seeing them in the remake is all the more nostalgic for me. :P
    Same here. Crystal was, I think, my first-ever Pokemon game, Yellow coming in second before I bought Ruby (which got stolen a little while later and never gotten back, but that's another story; least I've still got my Berry-Glitched Emerald XD), so I was going to be glad for any of the Crystal features to make it into HG/SS. Playing through Gold for the early part of my own remake attempt, I found it pretty bland, since neither region had much of a story behind it, which is why I liked Crystal's improvements to them: Suicune, one of my favorites thanks to it, being more involved in the plot, running into Eusine on Cianwood and hearing his awesome theme (hope he shows up more now XD), giving us the Battle Tower feature that became a staple...

Point is, Crystal added a lot to the G/S table, and it'd be hard to just ignore it all. Though I probably would've bought the game with or without Crystal features. XD

I'm hopin' they add some sort of story in Kanto (assuming it's in) besides that whole "Rocket Grunt trying to restart Team Rocket"/Power Plant thing. It'd also be cool if Raikou and Entei got their own significance to the plot just to be fair, be it through dialogue or action, but since they're roaming, unlike Suicune, that's doubtful.

smashmaniac2008

GONNA SMSH YOU INTO TINY BITS!
    Years
  • I am both happy and pissed off. Happy that they are adding crystal stuff and as such making the plot more in depth. Pissed off that they didn't add Crys but added Eusine and Suicune. Seriously EUSINE but not Crys now that is just sexist.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2013
    putting in some of the story from crystal i think makes the game better imo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I'll list the things that were changed or included in Crystla that wasn't in Gold/Silver originally, and whether or not I'd like these Crystal features to return to HG/SS:

• Changes in the Ruins of Alph should return, since I'd like the "secret messages" to return that was added at the back walls of the Ruins.
    • Extra grass containing Growlithe to the route west of Violet City should return, making fire types available earlier.
    • The trainers have more things to say in the cell phone coversations, and have more unique personalities in Crystal, and that should return too.
    • Raikou, Entei, and Suicune should have a special theme for their appearance like in Crystal, and I'm more than just pretty confident that it will return.
    • Buena's Password was added in Crystal, and it should return.
    • The chain of events to obtain the Blackthorn City gym badge changed in Crystal, and that change should also return in these games.
    • Crystal had an Extremespeed Dratini as a gift in the Dragon's Den, and it should return.
    • The Odd Egg given by the day care with a 50% chance of being shiny in Crystal should return.
    • I'd like to see sprites in battle fully animated too, like in Crystal.
    That makes almost all additions in Crystal, and I'd to see all of them return.
    There are three changes in Crystal that I have something to say about though:

• I don't think I'll be content with the return of the Battle Tower that was added in Crystal. I'd like to see a Battle Frontier instead, and it would be better if it's one of the older battle frontiers.
    • I don't think I'll be content with Eusine returning with the same role yet again. I do like his return, but this time I would like him to chase all the three Legendary Beasts.
    • And finally, I don't think I'll be content if only Suicune is given a bigger role. I'd be happier if Raikou and Entei are given a lot of importance too.

Years
  • I personally think that HG/SS is a remake of G/S/C not just G/S.
    I know that doesn't quite make sense, but two games can be the remake of three games.
    It would feel unfinished if all the Crystal feature weren't included.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
  • Really glad that they're bringing back features for Crystal. Hopefully they'll include some things like animations from Platinum too. ;)
    Eusine was/is awesome, so I'm glad he's in there.
    And the Battle Tower? It's nothing special, but it's better then them including that crappy Battle Frontier.

Last edited:

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Really glad that they're bringing back features for Crystal. Hopefully they'll include some things like animations like Platinum too. ;)
    Eusine was/is awesome, so I'm glad he's in there.
    And the Battle Tower? It's nothing special, but it's better then them including that crappy Battle Frontier.
    The Battle Frontier beats the Battle Tower, In my opinion.

And don't forget, the Battle Frontier actually includes the Battle Tower. So what's to lose?

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
  • The Battle Frontier beats the Battle Tower, In my opinion.

And don't forget, the Battle Frontier actually includes the Battle Tower. So what's to lose?

Playing the same Battle Frontier again would just bore me; they recycled it in Platinum and it was bad and if they did it again it would be even worse.
    Though I wouldn't care if the Battle Frontier was in again, and it would be another feature that they managed to cram in; I'm happy with it not being in.

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I liked all almost all the features that were in Crystal (bar the battle tower, but thats been improved since then).

I just hope that Eusine and the Suicune story being added doesn't result in Crystal's method of getting the Rainbow Wing. Having to catch all three Legendary Beasts to get into Tin Tower? Do not want.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    im seeing alot of this on this thread about why remove kris if its a crystal remake, if you hadnt noticed golds different as well its someone else with the same cap and jacket just look at his eyes and you can see its not him

Back