• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Damn you, blue shell! (Mario Kart discussion)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Damn you, blue shell! (Mario Kart discussion)

Any fans of the multi-million-selling go-kart racing franchise out there? Got any favourite games in the series? Characters? Weapons? (If anyone says the blue shell, I'll hunt you down and murder you in your sleep.) Tracks? Anything really... I just love the Mario Kart franchise in all of its glory.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    Damn you Blue Shell indeed. >__>

I love these games. :D I have only ever played the original, Super Circuit, and Mario Kart DS though. I missed out on a lot of the games. :\

My favorite weapon would be the fake item box. xD I dunno why, but it makes me laugh, especially when I place it inside another REAL item box. ^__^ And i love multiplayer, it is so much fun!

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    Damn you Blue Shell indeed. >__>

I second ^this^.

My favorite games in the series? That would be a tie between Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii. I love them both, and I actually have Mario Kart 64 on the Virtual Console. Don't get me wrong, the others are cool and all, but Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii are just up there for me.

My favorite characters? I have three: Toad (please don't kill me), Mario, and Bowser. They have always been the characters I use the most and win with. In Mario Kart Wii, I usually have Toad driving the Bullet Bike, Mario driving the Wild Wing, and Bowser driving the Flame Runner. Always loved them.

Favorite tracks? Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64 is definitely a standout for me, as well as Bowser's Castle from the same game. The Bowser's Castle on Maro Kart Wii is also a favorite of mine, along with GCN Waluigi Stadium.

Favorite weapon? It's a tie between three again: The star (*cues theme music*), Bullet Bill, and the Blue Shell Thunderbolt. What I like to do is hang back just enough to get those items, and then get up to fourth place and use them. It usually gives me the win in every race I'm in.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
    I've only played the Mario Kart for Gamecube, Wii, and DS. The DS one is easily my favorite, but multiplayer on the Wii at midknight beats playing any other video game ever. My favorite character is Dry Bones, but Shy Guy is fun too. My favorite track has been DK Pass in the DS version, ever since I discovered the Super Item Box. But who doesn't love Rainbow Road, right? Ha ha h -- (shot)
    Favorite weapon? Triple Red Shells. Most super-amazing-fantastic-awesom thing I've ever used, minus the blue shell.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Oh the inevitable Blue Shell... how I loathe them!

Great to see this thread as I'm a huge fan of Mario Kart and will be picking up a copy of Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS on release date!
    I loved all of them in the franchise so far and I think they're an excellent bunch of games... my favourite being MKDD (Mario Kart Double Dash) I wish they would re-release that in Wiiware, such a credible game.

Infact, the only MK game I haven't got is the SNES version but I would if I had bought the SNES ofc. It's great how they change each game to make it unique in a way.. example, with MK7 the ability to drive underwater and paraglide is just brilliant and the new characters and items too!

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I've only got DD, but I have gotten a chance to play the Wii MK game on occasion, and it's always a blast. I always like to pick Waluigi just because of the crazy things he says. I'd use Bowser more often but his slow acceleration is a problem. Talking smack to your buds when you pwn them on the racetrack is awesome.

I did play a LOT of the original Mario Kart back in the day, but the cartridge today is long gone... along with our SNES. And I've rarely had issues with the blue shell, but maybe that's because I deliberately relinquish the lead when I see the warning for it pop up on my screen :P

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart DS, and Mario Kart Wii are great.

I appreciate Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit for the nostalgia bomb it drops, but... they are rather hard to control.

Let us never speak of Double Dash!! again.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Blue shells can go die in a hole, fo' real. Always messin' up my winning streaks.

I am so addicted to Mario Kart Wii. I don't play with the Wii Remote steering wheel thing but it's still really fun nevertheless. I'm a crappy player though so I haven't really unlocked anything super cool yet. XD; Buuut omg my game when I was a kid was Super Circuit for the GBA. It was amazing. Double Dash was pretty cool too, but it wasn't nearly as nostalgic for me as Super Circuit.

I haven't played the DS version yet, oddly enough! Every time I come across it at EB or wherever, I never have enough money to buy it. :( I'll get Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS to make it all better though. Totally looking forward to it~

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think I'll be getting Mario Kart 7 when the time comes... alongside any other games that catch my eye and is available. And maybe the steering wheel add-on.

That said, I wonder who's thinking of setting up an actual PC Mario Kart 7 community, codes and all?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I've played MK64, DD!, DS and Wii, and the DS version is the best by a country mile. I love the 'new' courses that it introduced (Wario Stadium, Tick-Tock Clock, that version of Rainbow Road), the controls seem the tightest, and the graphics are very good given the console's limitations. The others all have good points but, ultimately, don't measure up to the overall quality of the DS game, in my opinion.

Having said that, my favourite character is King Boo, from MK Wii. Normally I don't go for the heavier characters, but in certain karts, I do really well with the big ol' ghost for some reason.

SentryDown

The Sovereign Fist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 16, 2013
    On my schools long cross-country trips, the number one thing said is BLUE SHELL because we all happen to be playing 4v4 Mario Kart Extreme Edition

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
    Rainbow Road will be the death of me.

On a different note, one of my best friends asked me out in the middle of a game years ago. At first I assumed it was to distract me from winning (valid strategy), but it turned out to be legit. Awkward times.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I loved the Mario Kart series. The first DS game I ever got was Mario Kart DS. My favorite characters to use in the races are Mario, Luigi, Waluigi and R.O.B. Additionally, my favorite tracks are Rainbow Road and Waluigi Pinball.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Blue Shells are so annoying. When I see that someone has it, I immediately stop and let the person in second pass, so when they release the Blue Shell, it hits them. Unless, I'm just that far ahead I just don't care.

I adored Rainbow Road. I always put Bananas on the speed-loop things and it would cause people to fall off the track, because they were upside down. I love Bananas and Fake Boxes. Fake Boxes were a BLAST because I'd place them right on a real item box, so it literally blended in. I'd also put Bananas on awkward places like on Sky Garden from DS, I'd put them on ramps.

I liked King Boo from the Wii. His motorcycle always got me wins. I also used Shy Guy a lot. He's just fun.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
    Ah, I just love Blue Shells. The only reason I love them is because every time I go wirless on Mario Kart DS with my friend, he usually is in First place for about 15 seconds when suddenly, a CPU player hits him with a blue shell. Most of the time he falls off the course, and starts to cuss at the DS.

It's only funny when it happens to someone else though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Schadenfreude is, of course, a wonderful tool... but I guess my hatred for the blue shell stems from the fact that many a race of mine has been lost SOLELY BECAUSE OF IT! It makes me mad just thinking about it... well, not really, but I'd still much rather get rid of it than have it.

Anyhoo, to liven this up, howzabout a new question: For those who've had the opportunity, do you prefer playing with a steering wheel or using 'standard controls'?

Pixel!

Smallest graphical unit
    Years
    If it's for the WII,yes I like to play,using the wiimote as a steering wheel,
    If it's for the DS,never got the chance,but I'd like to ^_^

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My favourite is Super Circuit because I poured so much time into it as a kid for some reason. FEEL FREE TO JUDGE ME.

For the longest time I haaated Double Dash but now it's probably one of my favourites. The other night, my roommates and I were trying to play co-op games together (there are three of us) and Double Dash, because of its weird partner system, was the only one we could all play through the Grand Prix together in. Everything else was just VS or else only 2P Grand Prix. Battle gets dull as soon as you've done each map. u_u

I remember adoring Mario Kart 64 as a kid and my brother and I still really loved it when we got it on Virtual Console, and I guess the DS version was pretty good (iirc I completed everything in it) but other than that, I haven't enjoyed what I've played. :(
    Anyhoo, to liven this up, howzabout a new question: For those who've had the opportunity, do you prefer playing with a steering wheel or using 'standard controls'?
    God I hated the steering wheel controls. I feel the Wii Remote is just an awful controller in general so I dislike being forced to use it. I liked that you could use Gamecube controllers with MK Wii but... I did not like how they simplified the controls to accomodate the Wii Remote with its fewer buttons. D:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I think I used it once. It was lame and felt tacked on. It didn't add anything to the experience.

I played with the GCN controller. It was a great entry in the series all the same though. I just disliked how wide the tracks were.

Back