• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Darn Safari Zone

purplegreendave

......whut?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2009
    I have 326 pkmn on my fr cart, however try as I might I am unable to catch Chansey/Kanghaskan/Tauros.
    Any tips?

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    You'll just have to try and try again. There's no real secret.

I usually try 2 bait plus one rock though.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Okay, I guess it is time for the quarterly SF tips:

* NEVER use bait. While it lessens the chance the wild Poke will flee, it also lessens the chance you can catch it. I always throw one rock before chucking the Poke Ball. While the rock increases the chance of the wild Poke will run, it also increases the chance you can catch it.

* If you run out of time in the SZ, that is probably because you are riding around. Don't do that. Find the zone you want to catch wild Pokes in, get off the bike, and then move back and forth in the same square, without taking a step. You will not lose any steps doing that and you can still encounter wild Pokes. I use this method and when I was working on appearance percentages, I could stay in one zone and encounter (I didn't say catch) 500 wild Pokes.

* Save the game right before you enter the SZ. Then, after your time is up, or your steps are used up, or you have run out of the craptacular Safari Balls, and you aren't satisfied with what you haven't been able to catch. Just reset your game and try again. That can save you from having to pay the fee over and over.

Following these tips should help your SF experience more enjoyable.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    This is the most effective place to find chansey and Tauros. It took me about 10mins to get Chansey, an hour later I got Tauros, and an hour after that I got another chansey with the lucky egg.

Darn Safari Zone

I found kangashkan randomly while trying to get there and did the same method as shanecdavis

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    LOL No. I didn't mean start your game over. I meant save before you enter the SZ. If you don't catch anything good then turn the game off. When it comes back on you will be back to where you saved and you can try again.

Zowayix

hi
    Years
    I finally caught kangaskhan and tauros!!!

Btw, I never use rocks because I encountered at least 5 kangaskhan, 5 tauros, and 3 chansey, all of which fled at one rock.
    I just throw 1 bait and then throw safari balls.
    I still can't catch chansey!!!
    And Paranoia, I also catch chansey in that place too!

I have so far encountered at least 10 chansey.
    The first two fled at one rock, the next five fled at one bait plus one or two balls, and the last three fled at two balls.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    In my FireRed I had 6 Chanseys all from the Safari Zone. They were hell easy to catch.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I finally caught kangaskhan and tauros!!!

Btw, I never use rocks because I encountered at least 5 kangaskhan, 5 tauros, and 3 chansey, all of which fled at one rock.
    I just throw 1 bait and then throw safari balls.
    I still can't catch chansey!!!
    And Paranoia, I also catch chansey in that place too!

I have so far encountered at least 10 chansey.
    The first two fled at one rock, the next five fled at one bait plus one or two balls, and the last three fled at two balls.

Ahh good work, yeah well it didn't seem to take you to long, like me, ahh I'm glad my place works for everyone, mwahahaha, anyway if you lucky enough see if your chansey has the lucky egg held item, as it doubles EXP you earn in a battle. Although come to think of it, I didn't use rocks either lol, I just threw the ball, lol

PiplupRocks

Electric Trainer
    Years
    the only think I hate about safari zone is the part that its feels like time is so fast. And im not even finish with my task
    :(

The reason the time moves fast is because whenever you take a step your time goes down! The bike is harder to master.. The bike counts three seconds of your time riding it. If you can get to your place faster is walk close to the place get on your bike then all you have to do is ride all the way there. Simple!

purplegreendave

......whut?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2009
    LOL No. I didn't mean start your game over. I meant save before you enter the SZ. If you don't catch anything good then turn the game off. When it comes back on you will be back to where you saved and you can try again.

i know, i meant i wouldnt reset for 500poké

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Chansey, Tauros and Kangaskhan were always the hardest to catch for me in the SZ. Especially back in R/B/Y. I'm actually only missing Kangaskhan from my full game, but I traded that across from the other one.

Throw a Rock and the keep chucking those Safari balls.

The reason the time moves fast is because whenever you take a step your time goes down! The bike is harder to master.. The bike counts three seconds of your time riding it. If you can get to your place faster is walk close to the place get on your bike then all you have to do is ride all the way there. Simple!

There is no time limit in the safari zone. It's counted as 500 steps and it would seem fast because you are using up more steps quicker on a bike whereas you would travel the same distances and steps walking in a longer time.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Since my first post seems to have been ignored:
    * If you run out of time in the SZ, that is probably because you are riding around. Don't do that. Find the zone you want to catch wild Pokes in, get off the bike, and then move back and forth in the same square, without taking a step. You will not lose any steps doing that and you can still encounter wild Pokes. I use this method and when I was working on appearance percentages, I could stay in one zone and encounter (I didn't say catch) 500 wild Pokes.
    If you don't understand that, let me know.

Years
    are there any special areas that Tauros and Chansey appear in? Like Area 2 or Center Area? I'm frustrated too with the Safari zone. I've caught some good ones, but Tauros, Chansey, and Kangashan always seem to only appear once in a blue moon and are very hard to catch, unless you do it right of course.

edit: Caught Chansey using a rock and then a Safari ball. Did not have a Lucky egg though. But now I know where I MIGHT be able to catch another. Thanks for that tip about rock first.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Tauros can only be found in Zone 2 and Zone 3. It is only found 1% in Zone 2 and 4% in Zone 3. So, if you want the best chance to catch Tauros, I suggest Zone 3. There is no particular spot in Zone 3 that is better than another. It is 4% no matter where you are at.

Glad the tip helped.

Back