• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dear anyone who thinks Palkia is faster than Dialga

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I have in my possession both Dialga and Palkia, both Level 70, and have yet to be used in battle.

Palkia's Speed stat is 145, Dialga's is 152. Dialga beats Palkia by mere digits, but it's there.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    That's because of the nature of your Dialga and Palkia, if they both had one of the neutral natures then Palkia would be faster.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
    No-one, lol im joking. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I think Dialga would be faster, and better :). Also it dpends on a few other things, so I guess they could both be quicker, depending on nature and drugs.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    No-one, lol im joking. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I think Dialga would be faster, and better :). Also it dpends on a few other things, so I guess they could both be quicker, depending on nature and drugs.
    Determining if a Pokemon is faster or not isn't about opinions. >_> It's about the facts.

Two things that can effect the stats of an untouched Pokemon: IVs and Natures. It's not just the nature.

If the Dialga and Palkia both had the same nature and the same Speed IVs, then Palkia will always be faster. This is because Palkia has a Speed stat of 100, while Dialga has 90.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Dialga can be faster than Palkia, because more than base stats come into play when determining speed. But Palkia is faster than Dialga, ceteris paribus, because Palkia has a base speed of 100, while Dialga has a base speed of 90.

Star★Seeker

→s t y l e ;
    Years
    You see, there are these little things called natures, ev's and iv's and they affect and influence the Pokemon's stats, and in any case, Palkia will be faster than Dialga most of the time.

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    As it has been stated and stated again, what you like better has no effect on the facts. IVs, EVs, and Natures all are determining factors. A positive Dialga outspeeds neutral Palkia assuming same EVs and IVs. Also, in competetive play, if a Palkia doesn't put full EVs into speed and doesn't ahve a beneficial nature, and a Dialga does, Dialga outpaces it.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
    You'd need to have both of their natures neutral, and then either Rare Candy them to level 100 or have them face the exact same Pokemon with the exact same natures. You can't base Pokemons' speed on your individual ones. Sorry :/

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    While we're on the topic of EV's, exactly how significant is EV training? Is there a huge difference in stats (like 100 to 150)? Or is it so small that it would only make a difference in competitive play (100 to 105)?

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    While we're on the topic of EV's, exactly how significant is EV training? Is there a huge difference in stats (like 100 to 150)? Or is it so small that it would only make a difference in competitive play (100 to 105)?

Each Pokemon can hold up to 255 EV's to a certain stat. Every 4 EV's translates to 1 point to that stat, thus a Pokemon can gain a maximum of 63 points to a stat.

While it may seem insignificant, it does matter a lot, especially with Speed. Going first can secure you victory if you can strike hard enough.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    IVs have a more significant effect on Pokemon's stats than EVs though. ... well if I remember correctly at least.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Each Pokemon can hold up to 255 EV's to a certain stat. Every 4 EV's translates to 1 point to that stat, thus a Pokemon can gain a maximum of 63 points to a stat.

While it may seem insignificant, it does matter a lot, especially with Speed. Going first can secure you victory if you can strike hard enough.

That is considering that it's the new, fresh one and not the old, crappy one in R/B/Y(where you could max out your alakazams stats) right?
    You also forgot to mention that they can only hold 510 EV's, so some EV's go to waste if it is maxed out.

Yeah, I'm going to tell you what everyone else said.
    Natures, EV's, and IV's are what makes your dialga faster.
    ~Knowledge is power~

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    IVs have a more significant effect on Pokemon's stats than EVs though. ... well if I remember correctly at least.

Well, considering IV's go from 0 to 31, one can potentially lose 124 EV's to a game of chance. :V

That is considering that it's the new, fresh one and not the old, crappy one in R/B/Y(where you could max out your alakazams stats) right?
    You also forgot to mention that they can only hold 510 EV's, so some EV's go to waste if it is maxed out.

Yeah, I'm going to tell you what everyone else said.
    Natures, EV's, and IV's are what makes your dialga faster.
    ~Knowledge is power~

In R/B/Y, I think all Pokemon had 31 IV's and 252 EV's by today's stat standards. It is sorta ridiculous when you think of it, but in this day and age, it at least makes speed ties damn near impossible.

Also, Apostrophe only asked about the difference in stats EV's make. I only answered what was asked, though I admit it wouldn't have hurt to add that in.

Putting 255 EV's to a stat wastes 3 EV's. While even 1 stat point may not seem much, again, let me stress, Speed is everything in this game, seriously. 1 point can prevent Speed ties, ensuring you go first and thus getting that all-important hit in before your opponent can.

EDIT: Post 900. Huzzah :V

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Anyone can be faster depending on how you use them. If dialga has a speed +ve nature, good IVs, and an item that boosts speed then it can be faster than palkia(which has a neutral nature, nature that decrease speed or something that stops palkia to get to its full speed potential). But if Palkia has all these features then Dialga can't overtake Palkia. Its only coz of their base stats. Palkia:100 speed stat. Dialga:90 speed stat.

Back